LegacyGT.com

How to: Install the HomeLink equipped Sun Visor

EDIT: Due to server limitations some of the pictures may no longer be visable.

To obtain the complete install instructions in an Adobe Acrobat document, Right Click, Save As:Homelink.pdf

The following should be performed at your own risk, I'm posting the instructions as a courtesy but will not be held responsible if you damage your car.

The Homelink equipped sunvisor comes standard in the '05 Outback VDC Limited and isn't availible in any of the other Legacy models. I already had the standard Auto-Dimming/Compass Mirror and didn't want to buy a new one just to get the Homelink feature, plus I like the cleaner look of the control panel on the visor instead.

The visor out of the '05 Outback VDC Limited with HomeLink is the same color as the Legacy GT's, has the exact same diminsions and the lighted vanity mirror. The only noticable difference is the three button Homelink controller on it. It is P/N: 92011AG52AOR and retails around $210.00 from your local dealer. I got mine from Mastro Subaru in Tampa, FL. ( http://www.mastrowrx.com )

To get started you will need a few tools:

- #2 Phillips Screwdriver

- Small standard (Flat Head) screwdriver

- Soldering Iron & Solder

- Wire Cutters / Strippers

- Small & Medium Heat Shrink Tubing ( 1-piece each, 3/4" long)

- Electrical Tape

First you need to remove the OEM Sun Visor. Using the small standard screwdriver, remove the cover from the sun visor mount, be careful not to scratch the plastic.

Now you will have access to the two screws holding the visor in place.

Using the #2 Phillips Screwdriver remove both the screws with one hand while holding the visor in place with the other. Once both the screws are out, gently pull the visor away from the roof. You will see the harness for the lighted vanity mirror, unplug it so you can remove the entire sun visor.

You will notice the OEM sunvisor has a two-wire harness compared to the HomeLink Visor's three-wire harness and they both have different style plugs.

This isn't a problem, we'll just use the two-wire black harness off the OEM visor and attach it to the new Homelink visor so it will plug back in to the factory harness in the roof.

Start with the OEM visor:

Using the wire cutters, cut the two-wire harness with the black plug on the OEM mirror as close to the visor/base as you can (so you have as much wire to work with as possible). Strip the red and the black wire back about 1/4".

Move on the the HomeLink visor:

Using the wire cutters, cut the three-wire harness with the white plug on the HomeLink visor as close to the white plug as you can (so again, you have as much wire to work with as possible). Strip the red, the black wire and the orange wire back about 1/4".

Using the black harness plug and the HomeLink Visor, connect the following wires by soldering. Then protect and insulate the connection with the heat shrink tubing.

Wire Connections:

Homelink Visor - OEM Harness Plug

Black - Black (= Ground)

Red & Orange - Red (= 12v Switched Ignition)

Wrap the wiring with electrical tape for protection and install the HomeLink Visor by reversing the steps above (Removing the OEM visor).

Test the vanity Mirror by opening it, lights should come on.

Test the HomeLink by pressing any of the buttons, red indicator should light up.

Follow the instructions in the Owners Manual to program your new HomeLink Visor.

So, with this set up, you would only be able to use the homelink when the ignition was on?

Does the homelink keep its programming when power is removed?

Correct, with this set up it only works with the ignition on which is better for security purposes (If someone breaks into your car outside, they cannot open the garage door).

If you wanted the HomeLink to work all the time (ignition on or off) you would just connect the black wire coming from the HomeLink visor to a constant 12v.

Like this:

Visor - Harness

Red Wire to Red Wire (12v Switched Ignition)

Orange Wire to 12v Constant

Black Wire to Black Wire (Ground)

And yes the HomeLink Visor keeps it's memory when the power is removed (via EPROM). It works great! :D

Thanks Opie! that was a GREAT post.

It still amazes me that Subaru failed to give us this on this car!!!!

No prob! :D

And I can't believe Subaru doesn't offer it to more models either, especially since it was so easy to connect. In bulk it probably wouldn't cost but a few cents per car to have the wiring all set.

• 2 weeks later...

And moved to basic maintenance walkthroughs! If this belongs back in interior/audio, please feel free to move it back. :)

Good write up by the way. Technically, you could have six buttons if you had the mirror, too, huh? Haha.

-ben

• 2 months later...
Great post! The Homelink feature was one I was hoping my new car would have when I was shopping for my new car. The Mazda6 that I also considered buying had it but the folks at Subaru must not have felt it would be useful on the Legacy GT (duh, what were they thinking). I still bought the Legacy GT (for obvious reasons) and I'm lovin' it (even w/out the Homelink)! Reading your post, it sounds like the Homelink addition was a fairly straight forward mod. I may give a whirl myself. Thanks again.

Your pardon, folks, but I get a 404 page not found (from the original post -- subaruchallenge/Wills/05/homelink.pdf) and I get a "you are not authorized to view this page" when I click the sunvisor link on pimpmyauto.com. Could their be something wrong with the link to the pdf? (Could there be something wrong with my browser?) Other stuff seems to work.

I sure would like to see this one with pix.

Your pardon, folks, but I get a 404 page not found (from the original post -- subaruchallenge/Wills/05/homelink.pdf) and I get a "you are not authorized to view this page" when I click the sunvisor link on pimpmyauto.com. Could their be something wrong with the link to the pdf? (Could there be something wrong with my browser?) Other stuff seems to work.

I sure would like to see this one with pix.

It's working fine for me (on both the PC's here at home, 98 & XP), what version of Adobe Acrobat are you using? It was created in 6.0. Try the direct link: http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/05/Homelink.pdf

What color is it? I got the black interior non-limited GT, will it match up?

It'll match Leo, all Legacy's get the same color headliner & visors! :D

Mine is a limited GT & it matches, my wife's is a non-limited 2.5i and it matches. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Where can I order one from. I live in Australia, and I have the Homelink Universal attachment to my garage door,a nd desperatley want a homelink sunvisor.

I have a black interior in a Liberty (re Legacy) 3.0R spec B

I need somewhere that will ship to Australia obviously

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone had problems with this? I have just completed the install and there is no power being sent to the visor for the homelink buttons or the lights. I took it to a custom car alarm install place and they redid my solder and tested that it had a positive connection. It is still not working, so there was something either defected with the visor when sent to me or I blew a fuse, I'm guessing. Tonight, when I get home I am going to try to plug the passenger visor into the driver side to see if that receives power. That should determine if it is a problem with the visor or not... Thanks

Has anyone had problems with this? I have just completed the install and there is no power being sent to the visor for the homelink buttons or the lights. I took it to a custom car alarm install place and they redid my solder and tested that it had a positive connection. It is still not working, so there was something either defected with the visor when sent to me or I blew a fuse, I'm guessing. Tonight, when I get home I am going to try to plug the passenger visor into the driver side to see if that receives power. That should determine if it is a problem with the visor or not... Thanks

Using a multimeter check the wires on the OEM harness for the visor, make sure the Yellow & Red (12v) Wires from the Homelink Visor go the 12v powered wire on the harness for the OEM visor (should be red) and make sure that the black wire (Ground) from the Homelink Visor goes to the ground wire on the harness for the OEM visor (should be black).

If you have no power at the OEM harness you've more than likely blown a fuse from a bad connection. Does anything currently work? Visor Mirror lights or the Homelink buttons (indicator lights up red)?

PM or e-mail me with any questions...I've done about 5 of these so far for myself and others.

Picked up my Homelink visor today.. the color is a bit off from the interior color of my Canadian LGT. It's gray, and my LGT interior is more tan.. little brown tint in the gray.

Oh well, no biggie..

• 5 weeks later...
So, on my 2006 2.5i Limited, if I buy the auto dim mirror with compass, it is a direct plug in (I heard they are pre wired), but if I get the auto dim/compass/homelink, I have to do custom wiring?

The mirrors (Auto dim/compass & auto-dim/compass/homelink) are all direct plug in. These instructions are for the replacement of the drivers side sun visor with the Homelink built in that was only available on the Outback VDC.

Archived