LegacyGT.com

Injen CAI + Borla CBE on 2.5i

Hello everyone, some of you may know that I installed an Injen CAI previously. Much thanks to JayMitch for the idea. I also recently purchased a used Borla CBE from a former LGT owner on EBay and decided to give it a shot...well, it was more of an impulse buy :lol:

It sounds a lot more aggressive than stock, but because of the equal-length headers, it sounds like an inline-4 with an exhaust. It doesn't sound like a Subie, no boxer rumble, but at least it's better than stock! It's a little louder than I would like, probably because there is no tubo there to help suppress the noise a bit, but no drone on the highway. There is a very slight rasp, but I don't think it's very perceptible.

So...a pic and video below! :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/190/497117661_9226fc55b5.jpg?v=0

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgYDhloRvvY]VIDEO!!![/ame]

Let me know what you guys think.

Wow, sounds pretty mean! I like it :cool:

Hey where did you order your Injen CAI from? It's the one for the Impreza right? What year Impreza?

Thanks

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

Thanks guys, but the sound has changed since I put it on, it's now really loud! :lol: Really bummed that it doesn't sound like I wanted...I wanted a subtle aggressive sound, but the Borla meant for an LGT on a 2.5i is just not for me.

I'm gonna go back to stock for now. Anyone interested in a used Borla CBE? I give you good price :)

And jackacc, the Injen CAI is for a 2005 Impreza RS. Part number is RD1222, you can order from Cardomain or Injen directly. I personally ordered from here, but be warned, these guys drop ship so if they don't have it you will have to wait to get it. Better off ordering from Cardomain or Injen themselves.

try throwing the stock cans on the borla piping!

Can't be done, it's almost like Borla proprietary piping :lol:

If you take a look at pics of the system from other posts on this forum, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Sucks though, it sounded good initially, and then it just got louder and louder to the point where I can't take it anymore. I started my car in the parking garage at work today and it sounded like I was running without an exhaust. It's gotta go haha.

i can't remember, but does the borla delete the resonator?

Nope, but they replace the stock one with a straight through design resonator. For N/A folks, since there is no turbo there to do some sound suppression, it is a lot louder (in my opinion).

If i may give you some advice. if you kept the stock resonator, put it back on. It will take alot of that loudness out and that popping. You will still have a slight deepness/ throaty sound but it will take out alot of what you dont like. I did a 2 and 3 cat delete and have magnaflows. it was really poppy and tinish sounding. didnt like it. so i put back on the stock resonator and it was taken car of. try that before you go and sell your CBE.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

And jackacc, the Injen CAI is for a 2005 Impreza RS. Part number is RD1222, you can order from Cardomain or Injen directly. I personally ordered from here, but be warned, these guys drop ship so if they don't have it you will have to wait to get it. Better off ordering from Cardomain or Injen themselves.

Thanks! I may just have to pick one of these up. I had an intake on previously that I made from an Impreza setup but I had to use the stock box so there was not a huge difference.

I like the sound of the open element filter. Had an Injen SRI in my TSX years ago and it sounded mean at WOT. Kind of like yours!

JDM GT Bilsteins (F-Tanabe R-Pinks)

JDM RSB - Modded Kartboy SS - Subaru Momo Knob

Subastyle Grille

If i may give you some advice. if you kept the stock resonator, put it back on. It will take alot of that loudness out and that popping. You will still have a slight deepness/ throaty sound but it will take out alot of what you dont like. I did a 2 and 3 cat delete and have magnaflows. it was really poppy and tinish sounding. didnt like it. so i put back on the stock resonator and it was taken car of. try that before you go and sell your CBE.

Thanks for the advice, but it's nearly impossible to put the stock resonator back on without doing some custom cutting and welding to the system. If you look at pics from other threads on the Borla, you will know what I mean. The pipe diameter goes from 2.5in to 2.25 at the Y I think.

Thanks! I may just have to pick one of these up. I had an intake on previously that I made from an Impreza setup but I had to use the stock box so there was not a huge difference.

I like the sound of the open element filter. Had an Injen SRI in my TSX years ago and it sounded mean at WOT. Kind of like yours!

Hey jackacc, I most likely will be taking my intake off as well. If you visited the other thread about the CAI, you know that you need some other stuff to hook it up. If I do end up taking it off, I will offer you everything for a good price. Reason I want to take the CAI off is because I wanted the intake and exhaust combo. Now that I find it too loud, I am just willing to take off everything and return to stock. Let me know if you're interested, if you are send me a PM and I'll PM you back a price. Just so you know, I probably won't take off the intake till this weekend because of work and prior plans.

you can take it to any local exhaust shop and they can make it work. The guy that i have do my stuff, if you have seen some of the stuff i have had him do you would understand. So they can do it. You might want to try that first before you decide to get rid of it. Either that or sell it and go custom all the way back from mid. thats what i did.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Yeah that is alot louder than my Borla CBE I didn't think having a turbo would make such a difference but after seeing that video I'm convinced. The Borla on my car is very quiet actually. I bought mine used off someone here as well and did notice it get louder as I drove it I guess the ECU had to learn the difference in airflow but it didn't get anywhere near unbearable, sorry it did for you.

you can take it to any local exhaust shop and they can make it work. The guy that i have do my stuff, if you have seen some of the stuff i have had him do you would understand. So they can do it. You might want to try that first before you decide to get rid of it. Either that or sell it and go custom all the way back from mid. thats what i did.

I'd rather not have to deal with it right now. I'm not looking for crazy performance. At this point, I'd just rather have my car back to quietness :lol:

I really do appreciate the advice though, much thanks!

good, i moved out of my appt and havent been able to get my dsl hooked up yet so im only on one in a while. looking to get my ride tinted and lowered this weekened and depending on the weather painting calipers. the borla sounds realy nice, think im gonna go with it also.

good, i moved out of my appt and havent been able to get my dsl hooked up yet so im only on one in a while. looking to get my ride tinted and lowered this weekened and depending on the weather painting calipers. the borla sounds realy nice, think im gonna go with it also.

I don't know if the Borla is a good idea... I'm actually gonna go back to stock as they've gotten louder and louder as the ECU adjusted. I feel like a ricer...I set off car alarms, that's how loud it is at this point :lol:

I just want to go back to quietness, and I can def feel the slight loss in low end torque. Something to think about before proceeding. I suggest just replacing the mufflers/exhausts and not to touch the stock resonator.

By the way, congrats on your new place. Let us know how the tint, lowering, and caliper painting goes! I wanna see pics! Haha

I don't know if the Borla is a good idea... I'm actually gonna go back to stock as they've gotten louder and louder as the ECU adjusted. I feel like a ricer...I set off car alarms, that's how loud it is at this point :lol:

I just want to go back to quietness, and I can def feel the slight loss in low end torque. Something to think about before proceeding. I suggest just replacing the mufflers/exhausts and not to touch the stock resonator.

By the way, congrats on your new place. Let us know how the tint, lowering, and caliper painting goes! I wanna see pics! Haha

loss in low end torque thats surprising i thought you would be ok since the mid pipe isnt any bigger than the stock. how much you gonna sell them for?

loss in low end torque thats surprising i thought you would be ok since the mid pipe isnt any bigger than the stock. how much you gonna sell them for?

Right now I got someone lined up for around $425, but they live in CO. If I can't find a box to ship it, then I will sell locally.

Archived