LegacyGT.com

Indexing Spark Plugs

Just install them, and torque them correctly.

/thread.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just install them, and torque them correctly.

I'm pretty sure I answered the question exactly as it was asked.

Plug index orientation does not matter at all.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What responses did you want? Wrong ones?

Just looking for some clarification regarding the ideal index when installing spark plugs. I do not have a good concept of the internals, regarding valves alignment, to know in which way the plugs should be facing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You were most likely watching Powerblock tv and saw it on horsepower where they rebuilt the Vortec engine.

They did index the plugs and I believe it does warrant an increase in fuel efficiency due to the vortex of air that certain type of engine creates.

I had never heard of indexing spark plugs before seeing that.

Used to be a big thing back in the 70's in drag racing. Now day's it's not worth the effort and time.

We used to do it in the Small Block Chevy dragster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have to do it on the 511 c.i. BB in the hydroplane, CR of something approaching 16:1 the combustion chamber is very small and there is not enough clearance for the ground strap on the plug. We have to clock between 10-2 or we break or bend the ground strap, ask me how I know :p.

BAC is correct on this one.

You were most likely watching Powerblock tv and saw it on horsepower where they rebuilt the Vortec engine.

They did index the plugs and I believe it does warrant an increase in fuel efficiency due to the vortex of air that certain type of engine creates.

Used to be a big thing back in the 70's in drag racing. Now day's it's not worth the effort and time.

We used to do it in the Small Block Chevy dragster.

Exactly. It was done back in the day when homogenous fuel injection was nearly non-existant. Where you were poorly atomizing fuel into the intake rush, and as such had uneven air/fuel density within the combustion chamber. That's when indexing the plugs became commonplace, and for a few reasons. The primary reason was to tailor flame-front propagation, I believe. I think the goal was to force burn rate to be consistent during a flame cycle, so power delivery would be smoother and ultimately improve efficiency by allowing more accurate timing and improving (decreasing) output ripple.

In modern engines, especially those that are fuel injected, atomization is fairly homogenous within the combustion volume, and ignition systems are significantly more powerful than their predecessors. As such, plug index makes no real difference. You'd notice just as much change if a fly happened to fart in the intake.

Thats where I saw it.

The more detailed explanations have been appreciated.

Archived