LegacyGT.com

How important to do alignment after new suspension install?

snow05gtRI

Is it very important to do an alignment immediately after I install a new suspension? I will be getting Bilstein's / Pinks (and JDM RSB) installed HOPEFULLY this weekend on Saturday, and I wanted to know if it was absolutely necessary for me to do an alignment RIGHT after. Basically if there will be any problems NOT doing an alignment.

I'm putting new tires on probably the following week, also....is it ok to wait a week on a new suspension or is it going to devour my winter tires? OR, if i get an alignment right after the suspension install, will it be necessary to do another alignment after I put on new tires for the summer?

Thank you for the help.

Are they new springs? If so, I'd give them a week to 'settle' before getting an alignment. Also, I'd keep your old tires on there until you go through that week. Then get the alignment and your tires done at the same time.

Speaking of, does anyone do their own alignments? When I was on the Audi forums, one of the guys was doing his own. 4 jack stands and some simple alignment tools later, he had an aligned car.

You can do that, but for $50-$75 you can spare yourself the time and get it done with a state of the art computerized alignment rack and have it set dead on.

no, no....i'm not picking one or the other. both are getting done. I'm asking if I should wait till when i get my new tires to do the alignment, or just get it aligned right after putting the suspension on and then slap new tires on top of THAT alignment.

I'm assuming that the struts and the springs are in separate pieces right now. If that's the case, after you get them installed and on the car, give it a day or two, maybe three, (you want to give the springs time to recompress and back to their normal operational state) and then bring it in for an alignment sooner rather then later. You'll be fine without an alignment for a couple of days. Just get the camber more or less to where it was before and drive nicely until you can get it done (the toe and caster isn't really going to change).

You're not going to need a new alignment job after putting new tires on btw.

I'm assuming that the struts and the springs are in separate pieces right now. If that's the case, after you get them installed and on the car, give it a day or two, maybe three, (you want to give the springs time to recompress and back to their normal operational state) and then bring it in for an alignment sooner rather then later. You'll be fine without an alignment for a couple of days. Just get the camber more or less to where it was before and drive nicely until you can get it done (the toe and caster isn't really going to change).

You're not going to need a new alignment job after putting new tires on btw.

Good info thanks, I'll be going through the same situation next week. New konis/swifts. Noob question, should we be requesting four-wheel alignments at the shop?

Just get the camber more or less to where it was before and drive nicely until you can get it done (the toe and caster isn't really going to change).

+1. i tried to be cool by maxing out the camber up front lol. killed the tires but they were on their way out anyways. there was no wear at all in the rear.

Blackened

I did my own alignment using Smart Strings. There is a post on NASIOC which shows the same method you described. I prefer the Smart Strings because you set up to parrallel lines from which to measure from. The Jack stnad method assumes the track width is the same to set up the lines. I know on my car the rear track is slitghly more narrow than the front. Its not by much but it introduces some error. I will say that for the first time in a long time my steering wheel is straight with the car going straight. The dealer has never been able to do this and them have done at least 4 alignments for me over two cars. Its my opinion that you can do a better job with the Smart Strings and slip plates than with a Hunter rack. Keep in mind many race teams use either Smart Strings or variants to align race cars, they don't use Hunter Alignemnt racks.

Archived