LegacyGT.com

An Illustrated Guide to Getting Rid of that Feet Smell

When I got my car a few thousand miles ago I noticed a distinct smell of socks whenever I turned the AC on. It would only linger for a few minutes but it still bothered me.

A quick search and I found this thread with a suggestion to spritz a water + bleach solution to kill mold that may cause the odor. I gave it a shot and it worked like a charm. Of course if after this you still experience a strange odor you should consider replacing your cabin air filter (that's a whole 'nother guide).

Anyway, I decided to make a quick, Illustrated guide of the whole process. I hope someone finds it useful.

* If anyone has any suggestions let me know

Search Keywords: Smell stink stench foot socks moldy

guide_cabin_smell.pdf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ I don't really feel too comfortable breathing in any Lysol but I'm sure its very effective. After the bleach treatment the smell was very crisp and clean, I felt like I was in a hospital :p

No shit! I hate that smell. The other day a buddy drove my car to pick up some things at the local walmart and when he handed me my keys back he asked why my car "smells like his balls if he doesn't shower". I guess I need this :D

Guest *Jedimaster*
Thanks for the writeup dude- I did this yesterday to my car and my girl's as well. So far so good :)

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a few weeks now and my AC still blows fresh. May not have to change my cabin air filter after all.

I have noticed another minor irritance though, whenever I hit Auto on the HVAC it blows dust into my eyes :mad:

Guest *Jedimaster*
^ You may need to change your cabin filter if it keeps coming back.

Cool- changed the filter and did the bleach again today- we'll see.

Thanks a ton. I thought it was more involved than that. I went to "change" my cabin hoping that was it. There was no filter to change. So I put one in, but that smell is driving me bananas! I'm doing it today as soon as the wife gets home.

• 4 weeks later...
The PDF file looks really professional, did you make it yourself? Has anyone actually tried this method? How did it work out? I noticed a weird smell after I turned off the AC (ie switching from AC to fan). I don't know if that's the same issue.

Archived