LegacyGT.com

Illinois people who have gottem pulled over for tinted LP covers, I need advice

I got pulled over today and was fined $75 for improper display of plates, in which I had a tinted license plate cover on my legacy, have any of you ever gotten out of a ticket of this nature? what did you do? I plan to go to court with a pic of it off, I need advice helppp

it's illegal

Correct. In Colorado - ANY plate cover = $100 fine.

I'm betting the better part of the United States is the same way. Just pay your fine - and take off the plate cover - problem solved. :)

Same for Illinois. Any plate cover is illegal. My mom just got a warning 2 weeks ago. I beleive the rational is some plate covers have flash protection so no pictures are able to be made out when you blow tolls or lights.

Do exactly what you said and go to court with pictures of them taken off.

Here's the updated public act.....

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/police/lawupdate0708.pdf

625 ILCS 5/3-413

"No License Plate Covers"

Effective Date: 06/01/2008

Public Act: 95-0029 Senate Bill: 1265

Synopsis:

Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Prohibits clear (as well as tinted) plastic license plate covers.

Most states have laws that state "license plate should be clearly visible at all times". These laws are being amended to add "no covers of any kind, even clear" because asshats bend the rules to sell crappy products.

Flash proof covers don't work. It's been proven several times, most notably on Mythbusters. They snuck them past the law by saying they were "protective" covers to keep the plate "looking clean and new for easy identification"

Fact is, even clear covers pretty much make it impossible to read a plate with headlight glare on it. (light from the flash of a traffic camera is set up at the proper angle to illuminate without glare) Cops don't like not being able to run your plates before they approach your car. So they hate you when you put a cover on it, whatever your reasoning for doing so.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

sry I am new to these forum things... but any advice???

Our advise to you is take off the silly illegal plate cover, pay the fine, and get on with your life.

Too often we get members here looking for ways to get out of speeding tickets, get out of tickets for illegal front tint, get out of tickets for no front plate.:rolleyes:

Check the local laws in your area, make sure your car doesn't break said laws, and live a happy life knowing that a cop won't pull you over for these infractions.:):):):):)

Thanks for your advice... and Gire don't talk for everyone, it was off the night I got home, and why is it legal to sell them at pepboys where i purchased it?

I bet on the packaging somewhere it says "For off road or show use only - Check with local laws to be sure".

and why is it legal to sell them at pepboys where i purchased it?

Because it's illegal to obstruct the view of the plate, not illegal to sell car accessories.

Opposite but same idea: It is illegal to sell cigarettes to minors, but it is not illegal for minors to smoke them.

I purchased it for the look

Yeah, the awesome look of a bubble dome on your ass

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I moved it. I should have moved it to General Funny but I moved it to the appropriate forum...

And yes, we in the industry call this form of retail a 'grey' area. Not grey market per se (where something is imported in to an area without the involvement or permission of the manufacturer themselves), but just grey.

Where it is perfectly legal to sell something, but not legal to own it or use it unlawfully.

Under car neons, 5% tint on the front windows, silly licence plate covers all fall under this category.

Easy for some company to sell something wiht a small sticker on the bottom of the package that says 'may be illegal in your area'.

I think I speak for everybody when I say that illegal tinted licence plate covers are a stupid idea though.;)

I run a clear front plate cover to keep the plate in nice shape (it is also easier to clean the bugs off of when the plate has embossed characters). I don't like the looks of a chipped, bent, crappy looking plate. The cover also lessens the chance of me slicing my hand open on it when I am washing the car. Plus I replace the cover when it starts to hide the legibility of the plate due to stone nicks and UV damage.

You will find that home improvement stores also sell items that are illegal (do not meed local building codes) such as (in our area) flexible copper natural gas appliance hook-up lines.

It is still ugly.

Archived