LegacyGT.com

??? Is 6MT in Spec B same as Sti???

amg996

I am debating on getting a LGT Spec B versus an Sti. I know that the Sti tranny can handle over 500whp with an upgraded clutch. Are the gears and synchros and ratios the same on both? I need something that can handle the power!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also, the STI is pump fed vs splash fed, it's a bit different so says our head SOA certified tech god. they've shown me the difference, however, i didn't really pay much attention. sorry.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

After speaking to a few tuning shops they all seem to have the same answer:...The ratios are different but they all say that the Spec B is actually the stronger and better tranny because it improved upon the Sti tranny. They also say that the Spec B is a heavier car so the tranny has to be stronger....whatever that means???

After speaking to a few tuning shops they all seem to have the same answer:...The ratios are different but they all say that the Spec B is actually the stronger and better tranny because it improved upon the Sti tranny. They also say that the Spec B is a heavier car so the tranny has to be stronger....whatever that means???

:lol: that's funny, because both my techs will say the EXACT opposite. and seems that i go from what they tell me since they are SOA certified and trained, especially regarding the STI's and Spec's. They can pull apart an engine and rebuild it without blinking. I know, we've had several of our buddy's STi's and WRX's sitting in our garage while they rebuilt the engines, swapped out gears, cam shafts or whatever else... all I saw was a pile of metal, bolts and gaskets!

I also know when SOA has a difficult case to diagnose, they are on the phone with our lead tech asking him what the problem is and how to fix it. We are fortunate to have our Subie god way up here in the sticks.

@ AKLGT:

Why so secretive? :lol:

How is the pump driven? Is it something specific to 06+ STI perhaps?

And do they mean that gears are stronger?

because i honestly do not understand all the technical stuff. they like to explain it to me and i just nod my head.... :lol: i understand the basics, but if you ask technical questions, I can't even attempt to explain it! that's why i apologized.

i had some pics i took of a buddy's STI 6MT all opened up waiting for one of the rings to be replaced. i can't find it anywhere. :( I'll keep looking. it was at that time the techs were showing me the rings and pointing to them, something about the 07 STI having 2 of them so that it is reinforced even more to handle a lot more power than even previous STI's, that the 07 STI was the only tranny that had this and some other little bells and whistles. Something about the rings, something about gears and synchros, etc. like i said, I can't explain it because I barely understood it. I do know out of all the STI trannies (not including 08 since they haven't dissected a tranny in the back obviously) the 07 STI 6MT is by far the strongest.

ya ya ya! i can't find them. :( i know i got plenty of pics of the 5MT rebuild we just finished up on our buddy's WRX last month. sat in the garage for almost 2 months! good thing we bought a 3 car garage! :lol: i let the guys work on the cars since they banned me from my engine bay. Now I just tell them what i want, they tell me what to go buy and then they install it. I like this arrangement.

good grief, I thought this got covered already.

07 Spec B per FSM (pg 6MT-2):

1 - 3.636

2 - 2.235

3 - 1.521

4 - 1.137

5 - 0.891

6 - 0.707

R - 3.545

Front ratio - 3.900 Hypoid

Center ratio - 1.100 Helical

Rear ratio - 3.545 Hypoid

And on page 6MT-6 is the blow-up of the tranny section where the :eek: oil pump for the tranny fluid is. :rolleyes:

AKLGT, I'm not mocking you tech friends, but all they did was change ratios and take out the DCCD & front LSD...enough for some people to call them completely different animals....I say they're similar units.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

and AFAIK, its only 5th and 6th that got changed from the STI numbers. 1 thru 4 are still the same.

07 STI

5 - 0.971

6 - 0.756

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I appreciate your quest, but I don't think a SpecB gearbox has been cracked open to date....I could be wrong, but I don't think a USDM unit has.

I'll stick my neck out there and say yes, they are of the same strength. Yes, Subaru has been known to pull some quick ones, but I just find it hard to picture them having 2 grades of 6MT components. Sure, the SpecB 6MT doesn't have some features of the STI 6MT, but I think what they share, is exactly that, they share the same components.

No on has answered my original question of which is stronger? Can the Spec B, with its different and longer ratios, hold the same amount of power as the Sti? Are the actual gears as strong?

Don't know. I spoke to our techs this morning and they told me, out of the 2, the STI will be stronger. however, both 6MT's will hold quite a bit of power regardless. They don't break very often.

Archived