LegacyGT.com

ICS N1 vs KW V2 vc BC racing

wpgspecb

Coming from 60,000km Spec B Inverted bilstein suspension, and obviously the KW's set is not all in the same price point, what is my best route?

The car wont see more than a hand full of track days if any in its life.

Looking for a streetable setup, with some comfort, but mainly a tighter/lower ride than stock.

We get crazy winters/salt here, so a strong coilover is a must.

I blew a stock bilstein at 20,000 kms, so simply going and doing springs i think will murder my stock suspension.

BC coilovers getting the highest review (based on multiple reviews)

They have a decent price of less than $1000. 1 year warranty. What about the Regular BC Coilovers vs the BC Inverted Coilovers?

KW V2's have a great review, and a price of about $1750, but have a lifetime warranty. I understand these are more for track use, and have some plastic components.

ISC N1's again have a price under $1000, but dont have alot of reviews. 12 month warranty as well.

Perhaps a stainless steel coilover is what i want?

Again, the car probably wont see the track more than a few times in its life.

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Jay

The KW's are the most "streetable" coilover of the 3. I run the BC and the ride is okay on the street - The KW's will likely ride much better (softer) and provide as much or a little more performance at the track.

The KW's are the most "streetable" coilover of the 3. I run the BC and the ride is okay on the street - The KW's will likely ride much better (softer) and provide as much or a little more performance at the track.

was it a large improvement from you stock spec b struts to the BC ? What BC model did you get?

if you are considering the KW's then you should look at the REC tarmac 1's. they are re valved and setup properly for your car and will most likely perform the best of all of them and be the most comfortable.

Comfort comes from quality strut valving. and any coilover that costs under $1500 will, for the most part, have bad valving and crap springs.

most here will settle for cheap OTS coilovers, but if you ride in a car with quality coils, you will know where your money went.

Wow those enduatechs look sweet.

I think that Ive come to the conclusion already that spending $1700 on a set of coilovers is a bit more than i want to spend.

For a $1000 set of BC or ISC's that leaves me with $700 for sways, chassis bracing, new TMIC or something else.

I mean $1000 set of coilovers is already better suspension than I have stock.

^not really. sure the coils will have stiffer springs, but the bils will have better dampening. $1000 coils are garbage no matter who makes them. you'd do better to focus your money on quality coils rather than getting cheap coils and sways. a quality well dampened and sprung coilover will make upgrading sways unnecessary.

^not really. sure the coils will have stiffer springs, but the bils will have better dampening. $1000 coils are garbage no matter who makes them. you'd do better to focus your money on quality coils rather than getting cheap coils and sways. a quality well dampened and sprung coilover will make upgrading sways unnecessary.

Yah thats what I was afraid of. $1000 coils aren't necessarily shit. They are having some good reviews.... but you think they would be worse than my stock setup?

I should just listen to LittleBlueGT and buy the KW v2s.

ISC street comforts ride really nice, I have street sports on mine but I have installed and road tested many sets of comforts and I can dial them in to feel basically like stock, but without the body roll lol.

These are serviced/ rebuilt in USA as well.

BC's are also a good bang for the buck IMO

My .02 as a vendor and fellow owner of a set of these

Most people never know notice the difference between buying a quality coilover compared to cheap ones until you experience the quality setups.

If you just want to slam your car or are looking for a minimal-performance setup (non competitive autox), go with the BCs or ISCs.

If you want a quality setup for the road and track, the KWs and RCEs are a good choice.

good reviews from noobs who have no experience with a quality coilovers are worthless, because they have no experience or perspective on what a good setup actually is.

lets break it down. a $1K coilover. the springs are worth about $300. the tophats/camber plates are another $300 total. the threaded bodys are about $100. so all you are left with is 300 for damper technology. thats $75 per corner on the most important part of any strut, the valving. how good could they possibly be. Thats about how much kyb GR2s cost (an OEM replacement shock). your bils cost more than that.

so ill say it again, $1000 coils are garbage no matter who make/sells them.

if you want a good cheap cost effective setup, find a set of Lgt front shocks and put koni inserts in them with the matching koni rear shocks. then get a quality aftermarket fixed perch spring to go with them. that will be better than any of these bargain coilovers.

I might be a noob, but I'll be damned if I'm not happy with my "garbage" coilovers.

I went in looking for a good value. And i'm pretty sure that to me, as someone that will almost never track the car, $1000 is not a terrible investment for a decent performing suspension package with the support to boot.

You pretty much answered your own question. If you took the car out to the track 7 times and spent $3500 on coilovers, then it cost you $500 each each day to cut maybe a few seconds off your time. Is that worth it to you? Just gotta ask yourself.

Go with what's in your budget and fits the bill. The koni setup whitetigdescribes is definitely not a bad deal. But don't rule out "value" coilovers as an option.

i feel the koni option is a downgrade from my spec b suspension... or at least not worth the effort.... if im going to R&R is gonna be way better than stock.

its not. konis are much better than your stock spec suspension. they are stiffer, and better valved and koni makes some of the best struts around for the price.

nasioc is pretty much gleaming with happy ISC customers

Remember that WRXs are dirt cheap these days. Like WT said, a lot of these reviews are coming from suspension noobs. If all you want is a car with somewhat tolerable ride characteristics and slam it, then buy the cheap ones.

Find independent shock dyno tests of the $1k coilovers and you'll see where the difference is.

nasioc is pretty much gleaming with happy ISC customers

again, how much of these happy reviewers has had experience with a range of coils?

I have driven on several different setups including the BC coils, tarmac 1s tein flex and my current setup is AST 4100 with custom valving and springs. now im not saying you should spend $3200 on a coilover setup, but the tarmac 1s are about the best option you can have with a reasonable budget.

Archived