LegacyGT.com

Iam 0.375

Scruit

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are using (and are experienced with) RomRaider, you can check the tune to see what your initial multiplier is. If it's going down, this is bad, and indicates that your car is sensing detonation and retarding timing.

If you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, you should revert to the previous tune, and contact your tuner.

Quick and dirty: If your IAM started at .250 and is going up as you drive, maybe no problem. If it started at .5 or .75 and is going down, problem.

If you are using (and are experienced with) RomRaider, you can check the tune to see what your initial multiplier is. If it's going down, this is bad, and indicates that your car is sensing detonation and retarding timing.

If you aren't familiar with what I'm talking about, you should revert to the previous tune, and contact your tuner.

Quick and dirty: If your IAM started at .250 and is going up as you drive, maybe no problem. If it started at .5 or .75 and is going down, problem.

IAM before the pull was 1.000 and it dropped to .25 during the pull, stepping down gradually as the knock counter went up.

romraiderlog_0327pull_20120327_081225.csv

I would keep an eye on the knock sum. There's always the (slight) possibility that it's something other than the tune update causing the problem.

The knock sum usually creeps up slowly, giving me an average one one knock per 2 minutes for normal driving. The knock seems to correlate with throttle input (if I hit the gas from a stop sign then I might get in increment of 1 knock count). During pulls, though, the knock count has been staying steady.

This time, though, the knock count obviously increases a lot during the pull. I think my tuner may have reached the limit of what this car is happy with and will have to start dialling things back.

This time around was a boost and timing update.

13 counts all the way to rev limiter, lol

byebye pistons (and rod bearings)

Question: Am I supposed to be able to tell the knock is happening while I'm doing the pull? I noticed the car wasn't as fast, but I didn't hear any unusual sounds coming from the engine. In the past when I've tuned dstributor cars I could tell I'd gone too far when I heard a sound like BBs rattling inside the cylinders when flooring it up a steep hill.

Secondly... The instructions say to pull to redline, yet I'm getting grief for going to redline... What should I be doing?

No, you're getting grief for bouncing off the rev limiter. The rev limiter is set higher than the redline. 6500ish.

And you shouldn't be relying on sound to determine if your engine's knocking.

No, you're getting grief for bouncing off the rev limiter. The rev limiter is set higher than the redline. 6500ish.

And you shouldn't be relying on sound to determine if your engine's knocking.

I kow I shouldn't be bouncing off the limiter. My bad.

How do I determine if the engine is knocking? Either I hear it, or I log it. Is there another way?

You log it. We already know that you're knocking. Don't push the car now, NO MORE WOT LOGS. Either get a new revision from your tuner, or go back to the previous revision... or bad gas... or something else. Hard to say.

edit: Just saw you reverted to the older revision. Log the car. If the IAM is currently 1, keep driving around a bit with some varied and moderate throttle and see if you're knocking (look in the logs.) If it (the previous revision) appears ok, then try another WOT log.

Archived