LegacyGT.com

HVAC Fart/Whine under heavy boost

I know the HVAC turns off the compressor or whatever under heavy boost so it doesn't sap power. Today my HVAC (like front defrost area) started making a tight sounding fart noise when this happens. Going to take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say but figured I'd ask the experts here first. I went ahead and made a quick vid so you can hear it.

• 1 month later...
Just did this today, minus a couple of chunks from my fingers. Took me a bit of time trying to put it back together, probably a good thing to take a picture or remember how the hose goes back on.

Done and done. However since I have the bigger tmic from racerx it was a little hard to get to that. One thing ill suggest is loosen the left side hose clamp then do the right. Just pull the whole intercooler off then pull the small hose off the right side and seperate it from the engine and intercoolr altogether. Secure the right side clamp to the opening first then slip the intercooler back down and fasten it all up. Literally took less than 10mins, easy fix. :)

No more goose hiding in my engine.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

2013-07-02_18-29-42_123.jpg

Thanks guys for calling this one out - encountered just this week (two weeks or so after going Stage 1). But whoever said it would be a 10-15 minute job failed to mention that it might take longer if the intercooler bolt gets dropped down into the engine bay, requiring removal of the splash guard, a burned hand and a spirited drive around the neighborhood until the damn thing clanked out onto the road for me to pick up... :mad:

PS. The side of this hose that I loosened for removal of the intercooler was the one closest to the intercooler - I was astonished that the other side slipped off instead!

Yeah, I noticed this on several '12~ cars. Someone at the factory has a limp wrist, or Subaru is trying to put a weak link in there for guys who raise boost past stock levels.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^^^I am going to go with limp union wrist. The weak link was already designed into the charge system by the engineers when they put the little rubber things inside the hose.

This. which is genius when you think about it. Come time for warranty work... "so uhhh... where are your lol-gaskets?"

This. which is genius when you think about it. Come time for warranty work... "so uhhh... where are your lol-gaskets?"

A shop I no longer go to installed my x-member and diff bushing and left two screws out when they put everything back together (at least that's my guess). When the next shop pointed it out I drove to Subaru and claimed warranty. I have no way to prove those bolts were ever there, Subaru could have forgot to install them. :confused:

Archived