LegacyGT.com

HUGE smoke cloud on startup w/ new turbo!

i just recently installed a brand new fp black turbo on my 05 subaru legacy 2.5 gt. it seems to be leaking oil out of the ecbs and smokes a lil bit also when im boostin. could it possibly be the intercooler flooded due to the last blown turbo? ? help please haha

How much oil was in the tmic when you had it off to replace the turbo, I gather you didn't check that ?

What does the oil on the dip stick look like ? any metal filings on it?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It could also be coolant. After getting my turbo installed, they failed to spray it down with any sort of degreaser, causing it to billow smoke about 2 miles up the road. It was just a few drops of coolant burning off, but it sure had me worried.

How much oil was in the tmic when you had it off to replace the turbo, I gather you didn't check that ?

What does the oil on the dip stick look like ? any metal filings on it?---

i have a fmic and the oil looks fine on the dipstick... normal color no metal fillings...

What does the oil on the dip stick look like ? any metal filings on it?---

i have a fmic and the oil looks fine on the dipstick... normal color no metal fillings...

How much PSI you running ? how many miles on the engine ? do you know what condition the rings and piston skirts and cylinder walls are in ?

I know mine are pretty shot in my 05.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, positive pressure from the compressor outlet, i suppose if a vac hose is loose to the ebcs oil can seep out...but why is the turbo getting so much oil blowing out? well..we're back at square 1. excess crankcase pressure, either from ringland issues causing positive crank case pressure and forcing out the vac lines and now into the inlet will be sucked in by the turbo. i know a few people who smoked on startup nearly every single startup- busted ringland(s), oil consumption issues up the ass.

• 5 months later...
I also have a question. I recently installed a rebuilt 18g (ollied generously upon rebuild). I am running a catch can set-up had the line from the heads, and the CC line running open (not to a can) and upon start up there was no smoke just a little residual burning off from spilt coolant. Now I hooked all of the lines in the catch can (heads T'ed, and CC all in one can, with breather) And now I have smoke out of my DP. Why is this???

Archived