LegacyGT.com

How's the ABS on our cars?

Enlight

During the blizzard here in New York I did a lot of plowing with a Suburban, and also got a chance to drive around in an RX330. I noticed while driving in this winter wonderland that the braking distance for both of these cars were much, much nicer than the leggy's. The ABS in both cars iwe're much less sensitive and were more like mini threshold brakes.

The Legacy on the other hand activates ABS much more readily, barely allowing any braking to be done at all. All tires on the cars were from the factory except for the Legacy, with have Kumho ASX's.

I was driving in the RX330 earlier tonight and felt much more confident in the snow, to the point I pushed into turns on purpose - because I knew I would have enough room to slow down with the braking performance. Also, my tires are pretty worn down, which definitely degrades the snow traction, but I remember this when I had my RE-92's too.

My question is is our ABS abnormally sensitive, or are tires to blame? I was surprised the Lexus felt more predictable in the snow than a Subaru, heresay, and I wish I wasn't asking this question.

Also, what are peoples experiences with Pirelli P Zero Neros in the snow?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

What you're experiencing is the poor grip of the stock tires. When their friction ability is surprassed, the ABS has to kick in because the tires are then locked (skidding). Better tires mean more deceleration before reaching that point and thus stronger braking before the activation of the ABS.

All tires on the cars were from the factory except for the Legacy, with have Kumho ASX's.

Dunno about everyone else, but I read that he has Kumho ASX's on the Leggy, not the stock RE92's...

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I have a 2005 Outback (can I be here?). I have brand new Yokohama Avid SV4's (I needed to replace them all last week because I damaged one tire).

I do NOT appreciate the ABS on my Outback. It kicks in with the slightest provocation on loose wet snow and takes twice as long to stop!

I spent yesterday driving a 2003 Murano with original stock tires.

The ABS barely activated and Murano stopped quickly. As soon as I got home I tested the Outback on the same street and was very disappointed as I realized my car reacts not nearly as well in the snow as my friend's Murano.

From what I read on all the forums, over-sensitive ABS is the norm on Subarus and people are pulling the fuses, or putting in cut-off switches in the winter.

I am bringing my car in this week to have it checked anyway.

I have a 2005 Outback (can I be here?). I have brand new Yokohama Avid SV4's (I needed to replace them all last week because I damaged one tire).

I do NOT appreciate the ABS on my Outback. It kicks in with the slightest provocation on loose wet snow and takes twice as long to stop!

I spent yesterday driving a 2003 Murano with original stock tires.

The ABS barely activated and Murano stopped quickly. As soon as I got home I tested the Outback on the same street and was very disappointed as I realized my car reacts not nearly as well in the snow as my friend's Murano.

From what I read on all the forums, over-sensitive ABS is the norm on Subarus and people are pulling the fuses, or putting in cut-off switches in the winter.

I am bringing my car in this week to have it checked anyway.

That's what I'm talking about - it seems like the ABS on our cars are extra sensitive. It might not just be a tire problem. The way I see it, ABS sensitivity CAN vary. They can probably program the difference in rotational speeds of the wheels to different tolerances, where our case may be very low. I drove a 2002 chevy suburban and it had better braking feel in the snow than the subaru. I can't say if it had a shorter distance since i never needed to slam the brakes while driving it.

There's no question if I put winter tires on the car it will have better brake distance in the snow, that was not my point. But say, if I put those same tires on the suburban or rx330, would the subaru still have more problems than the other two cars for stopping in the snow.

Can people share their experiences in driving in the snow with aftermarket all seasons?

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

...All tires on the cars were from the factory except for the Legacy, with have Kumho ASX's.

Also, my tires are pretty worn down, which definitely degrades the snow traction, but I remember this when I had my RE-92's too.

Comparing RE-92's with worn-down ASX's.

Neither is optimum.

BTW, so far (~3300 mi on RE-92's) I've not noticed the ABS to be overly eager.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

ABS is quick to come on in our cars depending on tires, as others have said. I have driven my car with:

RE92s, WRs and PS2s

and rapidity with which ABS comes on is very much proportionate to the respective grip of those tires, imo.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

Maybe...just maybe some people simply don't know how to drive a car in the snow...or they cannot adjust to "inferior" equipment. I never have an issue with RE92s. They aren't the best tires...they just do ok. And oh...i really have to step on the brakes to get the ABS to kick in

With Toyo Proxes 4s on my LGT, I got into the ABS very, very easily in snow.

With Hankook Icebear W300s, I hardly ever get into the ABS in snow anymore. The car actually transfers weight forward (i.e. nose dips) when braking on snow.

In my case, it was the tires, not the car.

Everyone checking their tire pressures these days?

With the rapidly fluctuating weather we're getting here in NE Ohio over the last week or two, I'm finding that I can often have EXCELLENT traction one day, and completely piss-poor the next.

We drove the wifey's Rex this past weekend during some decent snowfall (with a base ice-sheet on most secondary roadways), and even a 2-PSI difference in tire-pressure (from optimum) was more than significant enough to cause drastic differences in how and when ABS was activated, not to say the least of the vehicle's handling.

The Falkens on my LGT are even more sensitive to pressure changes.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I sometimes think that we are among the very few who are so uptight about our tire pressures! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I'm not sure about our ABS being overly sensitive, but it's initial release of the brakes seems a little longer than anything else I've driven, which is what surprises me when it does kick in. I'd almost rather drive without it because it's so intrusive. (and no, I'm not driving RE-92a's)

I wish Subaru had done better with the brakes on our GTs, but nothing SS brake lines, new brake fluid, and new pads won't fix.

tom :)

With Toyo Proxes 4s on my LGT, I got into the ABS very, very easily in snow.

With Hankook Icebear W300s, I hardly ever get into the ABS in snow anymore. The car actually transfers weight forward (i.e. nose dips) when braking on snow.

In my case, it was the tires, not the car.

This is what I'm looking for, I should've asked the question differently in the beginning. Can the ABS on our cars be overcome with aftermarket all seasons? I'm not looking for dedicated snows. Petmor, which falkens are you running on?

Maybe...just maybe some people simply don't know how to drive a car in the snow...or they cannot adjust to "inferior" equipment. I never have an issue with RE92s. They aren't the best tires...they just do ok. And oh...i really have to step on the brakes to get the ABS to kick in

It has been in my experience, and some others, that the RE92 are sub-par. maybe, just maybe.

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

Archived