LegacyGT.com

Homelink mirror issue

WannaScooby

I have searched and didn't find my answer or anything on this.

I am having issues with my homelink mirror. It took a couple of times for me to be able to set it up where the homelink function and my garage door opener would "talk" to each other and work through the mirror. Well, it only worked for one day and then wouldn't work anymore. I just get a humming noise from the garage door when I try to use the mirror. What is weird is that when homelink stopped opening the garage door and would only hum, all of the remotes for the garage door would only hum when their buttons were pressed. Since then, I haven't been able to get any remote to work even after resetting everything. I now have to open and close my garage door by hand.

Has anyone had this happen and if so, how did you fix it?

The garage door opener is a Craftsman if that helps and the mirror is OEM.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

You posted in the right section.

Your problem is odd because all Homelink really does is record the sound/transmission from your garage remote and play it back. It could not re-program your remote nor could it re-program your garage door opener.

I'd Google "homelink" and your garage door opener brand and model and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

You posted in the right section.

Your problem is odd because all Homelink really does is record the sound/transmission from your garage remote and play it back. It could not re-program your remote nor could it re-program your garage door opener.

I'd Google "homelink" and your garage door opener brand and model and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

I'll give that a shot and see what I find. Thanks guys.

Is it chain driven or screw type opener?

It's chain driven. The SO doesn't believe it is the garage door opening unit because it only started doing this after I tried to set up the homelink even though I got the homelink to work once and then everything went back to humming.

It's chain driven. The SO doesn't believe it is the garage door opening unit because it only started doing this after I tried to set up the homelink even though I got the homelink to work once and then everything went back to humming.

It's the gear that moves the chain that's broken, causing your motor work, but not open the door. ;)

Had that happen on my old garage door unit.

It's the gear that moves the chain that's broken, causing your motor work, but not open the door. ;)

Had that happen on my old garage door unit.

Does the whole unit have to be replaced or just the gear? And did this happen to you when it was cold out? What I kept reading after searching on google is that a lot of people had this hum noise start after it got cold fast.

Oh...no I was meaning 20's. I'm not sure how old this garage door opener is, but the house is an '87. :o

it's more than likely the original opener. why mess around trying to repair a 20yr. old unit just buy a new one the security features on new ones is vastly superior to something from '87 anyway. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Does the wall control (which is usually hard wired to the head unit in that vintage of opener) open and close the door? This would verify if the motor works and the problem is in the receiver (it would be odd for all the transmitters to fail at the same time).
It is still ugly.

it's more than likely the original opener. why mess around trying to repair a 20yr. old unit just buy a new one the security features on new ones is vastly superior to something from '87 anyway. bosco

We found the date on the unit and it is from 2000. So it's 7 years old. It does have a bunch of security and safety features.

Does the wall control (which is usually hard wired to the head unit in that vintage of opener) open and close the door? This would verify if the motor works and the problem is in the receiver (it would be odd for all the transmitters to fail at the same time).

No...none of them were working. We did fix it. The trolley was stuck on a bolt and coming too far in when it opened the door. We removed the bolt and adjusted it not to come so close to the bolt and fixed it. So...no more broken garage and all the remotes and my homelink is working again.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Archived