LegacyGT.com

hogzaust mod

Earlier today I read about the hogzaust mod and decided to try it. It is a super simple mod that takes half an hour and is completely worth it if you ask me.

Tools needed:

14 mm socket

14 mm wrench

Panther piss (liquid wrench) or WD-40

Parts:

4-1/14 3/8 bolts*

4-3/8 nuts*

8-3/8 washers

*only if you plan to replace the old bolts/nuts with new ones.

This is a video that was taken BEFORE the mod.

All photos will be in order wherever this site want to put them haha.

Procedure:

Step one:

Remove four bolts connecting your exhaust to your muffler with a 14 mm socket and wrench, there are two on each side of your exhaust. (it is a good idea to use panther piss if you have it, as your bolts may be rusted and difficult to remove)

Step two:

Remove lead washer between exhaust pipe and muffler.

(The website wont let me upload a photo of this sorry, it just shows the two pieces separated)

Step three:

Place washers on bolts between exhaust and muffler. (It is easier to start with the top first then do the bottom, that way you don't accidentally drop a washer into your exhaust like i did. :mad:)

Step four:

Tighten all bolts until they are secure.

Step five:

ENJOY YOUR GREAT SOUNDING EXHAUST!

This is a easy mod and can me done in half a hour or so for under ten bucks!

Video AFTER hogzaust mod:

All credit is given to hogmeat.

Original forum: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-hog-zawst-system-sound-power-patented-washer-technology-35764.html?t=35764&highlight=hogzaust+hogmeat

I am just posting a little tutorial on how to do it and how it sounds before and after.

810199305_subaruremovebolts.thumb.jpg.934a10918aa8605286ac9915b169a34c.jpg

69710591_subarufinished.thumb.jpg.c944e0c4594eebd194950044014ca299.jpg

I found that after a while you realize that under WOT it doesn't sound that good. I just removed the mufflers and had deletes made. It sounds great with stock exhaust.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How loud is it on the highway with the deletes?

It's a low rumble like a nice exhaust. You have to listen for it to hear it. Its amazing how nice it sounds. I have had friends, my age, riding back there for a while and they didn't say anything about it being to loud.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Did you only do this for one of the mufflers? Or both?

I did this for both mufflers, I am also thinking about removing the resonator to try and get that boxer note to stand out. I ended up putting one more washer on each bolt to make it a little louder and it did help.

Most the sound suppression is done in the mid pipe. If you leave that alone, the axle back setups are not that bad for city neighborhoods and local ordinances. Once you touch that mid pipe, your neighbors will hate you on those cold snowy morning starts as their pictures rattle against the wall.

• 1 year later...

:lol: ^

I agree with Max Capacity. The hogzaust was cool for a month, but it sounds crappy at WOT (high exhaust flow) compared to muffler deletes. Also, if you leave it on through a winter season, your muffler and mid-pipe flanges will rust a little bit, and you'll have an exhaust leak when you fully reattach the mufflers unless you clean the flanges really well. Another downside for wagon owners: considering the exhaust noise now comes from the end of the midpipe, which is located basically under the trunk area, it drones like hell around 2200-2500rpm. And the hot exhaust bakes your rear upper control arm bushings if they're aging. ;)

Just have some deletes made, or buy the nameless ones!

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Archived