LegacyGT.com

hitch install - problems with lowered sedan?

rallispec

you have to be careful, for sure. Ask c-lo about it ;)

One other option - SOA (Australia ;) ) sells an OEM hitch that mounts inside the bumper....someone started a thread on it here with walkthrough. Might be worth sourcing one through AVO or Japanparts.com

yeah, If I'm driving out of PGT's driveway I hit. check out fatbastards post:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47639&highlight=hidden+hitch+mod

I'm not lowered yet, (though I plan to). I will most likely be doing this mod this spring. you still may hit when your trailer is hooked up just from the weight of it and the bike.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I want to buy a trailer to tow my motorcycle around --- think I'd have problems with the legacy being lowered?

The other option is to get a hitch for our Mazda6i.

I just logged on to post and research this same question. I have an 06 LGT wagon (also lowered). Looking to tow my motorcycle too! Was at the track a few weeks back and saw a WRX towing their motorcycle and that person absolutely loved it. I never made time to talk to him more about specifics of the hitch/electrical harness etc though.

I think im' going to go with the hidden hitch and modify it a'la the fatbastard method.

I think that will be the easiest and most economical answer -- and if it still ends up being to low.... well then i'm screwed.

C-LO - did you have the hitch and bike rack and all the good stuff on when you bottom out? or are you hitting the hitch mount on the frame?

I was reading through some other posts on hitches and it seemed that I think it was two people (rporter and froggert) that said that if they had to do it again they would've just went with the factory hitch. Actually that is what rporter said and froggert already had problems with an aftermarket hitch so he switched to the factory one.

Ground clearance is an issue for me because mine is slightly lowered with H&R springs by maybe an inch and I am needing the electrical harness because I will towing my motorcycle.

I think I am leaning towards the factory one. It seems to be more expensive but it'll cut through all the crap of getting an aftermarket hitch and then getting the separate wiring harness after. Also I like the fact that "froggert" already found that the factory hitch worked better for his lowered vehicle.

I would rather do it right the first time rather than get screwed and do through all that hassle, IMO.

I think im' going to go with the hidden hitch and modify it a'la the fatbastard method.

I think that will be the easiest and most economical answer -- and if it still ends up being to low.... well then i'm screwed.

C-LO - did you have the hitch and bike rack and all the good stuff on when you bottom out? or are you hitting the hitch mount on the frame?

only time I hit is when I'm backing out of dan's driveway. I'm careful when I back into spots not to get too close to the curb, and I as long as I drive over steep driveways at an angle I don't hit. can't remember the last time I hit it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a hitch installed on my Spec.B and it has held up well. With stock height, it only scapes on rare occassion. I'd be VERY hesitant to lower the vehicle if you've got worries about scraping. I'm planning on installing Cobb sways, but can't see myself going for a lowered springs for fear that I'll drag too much.

Seeing your post was a few weeks ago, I'd be interested to hear whether you went with the lower springs, and the results you've had with scraping.

1000+ miles on my OEM hitch. Works like a charm! I towed my motorcycle from Sacramento, CA to Klamath Falls, OR. The only thing that sucked is that I had to keep the speed to 55mph!!! There was another post from a different discussion that suggested getting the OEM if the car is lowered. Apparently he still has the hidden hitch that he removed (for sale too) because it scraped too much.

My car is lowered, with 19" and also have the Cusco front and rear anti-sway installed. Didn't notice much when towing the Uhaul trailer with motorcycle!

Archived