LegacyGT.com

High pitch wihining noise

Ok I noticed that few days ago. I can hear high pitch whining noise when going past 20mph. I can only hear it on the driver’s side and with my windows down. I turned off AC and whine was still there. I am going to the dealer next week but I was wondering if anyone had this issue.

At first I thought you were hearing my ex-wife, but now I doubt it. Try turning radio up louder, and/or leaving windows up :)

seriously, I haven't had this issue, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to flame my ex. Sorry. I hope you get resolution from the dealer though. Noises are usually a PITA to duplicate and diagnose. Good luck. If they find it, give the rest of us a heads up.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

have them check BOTH diff's for whining. it is what im going through now. they originally only checked the front..R&R the ring and pinion on the front oly to have the whine still there. then they checked the rear and found out that was where the noise was coming from after having had my car for a week. so now im waiting on a rear diff replacement. :mad: :mad:

Kenda:dm:

Thanks guys. It is not really RPM or speed dependent and I can only hear it with my windows down and when I pass near a wall or other cars. It is really annoying. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow and will let you know what they say.

I have this same exact issue that I've just started noticing.

It is NOT throttle dependent, so it's not the turbo. Very high pitched, and I can only hear it on the drivers side with the window down. Even better when there is something to reflect the sound back into my window.

'06

23k miles

never abused....2 wheel bearings already...hurm....

So I got back from a dealer today. They said it's a brake pad issue but it is normal operational noise! I told them that I can hear it when I am not braking. They told me that's normal for brake pads to touch rotors while driving. Correct me if I am wrong but when you are not breaking, pads and rotors should not touch! To me that's a BS!

• 2 weeks later...
doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, course I've only noticed them after they get so bad they make the droning sound...

So there have been bad bearings here already? I started getting a drone from 25mph on about a week and a half ago. I thought is was the tires (running on stock re70's from the LGT) so I swapped fronts and rears (the sound was coming from the rear). But that did nothing. I'm going to swap all 4 tires for my winters just to rule them out completely before I take it in.

If it is a bearing, I'm at 45k, so that would or would not be covered? mwiener2 what was your mileage?

Other info: it is completely speed dependent - braking, gear, etc have no effect. It is much louder with the windows up. The car feels fine at all speeds other than the drone. Should I put my stock 16"s/snow tires on instead of the 17"BBS RK's (any reason dealer would blame them? )

I appreciate any advice.

So there have been bad bearings here already? I started getting a drone from 25mph on about a week and a half ago. I thought is was the tires (running on stock re70's from the LGT) so I swapped fronts and rears (the sound was coming from the rear). But that did nothing. I'm going to swap all 4 tires for my winters just to rule them out completely before I take it in.

If it is a bearing, I'm at 45k, so that would or would not be covered? mwiener2 what was your mileage?

Other info: it is completely speed dependent - braking, gear, etc have no effect. It is much louder with the windows up. The car feels fine at all speeds other than the drone. Should I put my stock 16"s/snow tires on instead of the 17"BBS RK's (any reason dealer would blame them? )

I appreciate any advice.

Don't bother waiting, it is a wheel bearing (or two.) I had a drone that sounded like a flight of WWII bombers following me and it was a bad bearing. Dealer took care of if no problem, and it is a powertrain warranty issue, so you are covered at 45K. My Mileage was around 20K I think when it became noticeable.

neil

I think i have the same problem with my lgt, I have 1200 miles on her and i've been hearing it since 500 miles. It seems to go away when i apply the clutch to change gears at lower speeds ...

Actually, the wheel bearing whines whether the clutch is in or not. If the wheels are spinning, the bearing makes the noise. The noise is independent of engine speed or tranny engagement if it is the bearing. Repsak, yours could be a clutch throwout bearing, but I am not sure. You should take it to the dealer.
neil

Yeah, I gotta make an appointment soon. There almost seems to be 2 noises:

1) high pitch whine at about 25-35 mph after about 1 min of driving from a start or a rest.

2) A grinding/whine comming and going from time to time ranging from 10-40 mph almost sounds like something metal is scraping the rotors but if that were true i'd be able to hear it anytime the wheels were moving, but this is not the case, it comes and goes..

I can def. hear 2 different sounds going on

DING DING DING

We have bad wheel bearings here!!!

I got my LF replaced and I can hear maybe the LR going now

:stupid: Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me too. My LR one (maybe both rear ones, but IIRC just the left one) went soon after I got my car (used). The wheel bearings seem to break a lot on this car. I've seen a lot of postings about bad ones on here, and even Car and Driver's long term test LGT needed both rear ones replaced.

It was my driver's side rear bearing. Had it replaced under powertrain warranty yesterday. Flemington (NJ) Subaru was great. I called mon. morning and they said to bring it in first thing tues. It was easier for me to drop it off on my lunch break though so I did. They were finished by 4:30 pm monday.

How long is the powertrain warranty , 6yr/60K? Somehow I missed all the complaints about this which is why I was reluctant to think it was a bearing when it started.

Archived