LegacyGT.com

Here is my D-I-Y JDM front Grill

firedawgs

So I finally got my car back from the shop. Some of you know that my car was involved in a hit and run while I was parked. Insurance forked out $3300.

Anyways I don't like the USDM grill so I fabricated my own JDM "wanna be" grill. Cost was $12. I used epoxy to attach the screen to the plastic. It took patients and bending, but I think it turned out great :D . I had the body shop that was fixing my car paint the grill while it was in there.

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2200/grillclose22ek.jpg

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/6489/grill29ee.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Well done! I can't wait for people to start getting their aftermarket grills so I can buy their stocker to hack up!

I vote NO for the subaru logo. Looks good the way it is. Most that have gone this route have a hole in the bottom center - there is a gap between the surround and the mesh. What did you do different to get around that?

The gap that I'm referring is from the subaru logo center piece (not the logo itself, but the center plastic that it is attached to) - when cut out it is not even with the rest of the back part of the grill. I think I might go this route only because I missed out on the grill group buy. Where did you buy the mesh from?

Actually a little better than the JDM grill as it doesn't have the gap in the bottom center. The grill group buy I was referring was the Aeroparts grill. $275 + shipping is a little too much IMO for a grill.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Once people get their hand son grills, we'll be able to get 75 dollar repros. But I still can't wait to pick up someone's used grille and get to work on it.

Actually a little better than the JDM grill as it doesn't have the gap in the bottom center. The grill group buy I was referring was the Aeroparts grill. $275 + shipping is a little too much IMO for a grill.

...and they won't sell it unpainted for less...

that looks awesome man, good job. makes me second-guess my aeroparts piece. so to do that, you cut the middle plastic out, and applied that primer to the chrome and painted it?

and of course the mesh.

yeh we need step by step direction!!

but how much would it cost to paint the grill??

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

Yep, that is pretty much what I did. I will have to get the name of that primer for you guys. I will take more pictures of different angles. Will take some tomorrow. It is kind of hard to give a step-by-step instruction, but if you are in the area of Cape Cod I will help anyone thats wants to take a stab at it.

that looks awesome man, good job. makes me second-guess my aeroparts piece. so to do that, you cut the middle plastic out, and applied that primer to the chrome and painted it?

and of course the mesh.

Yep, that is pretty much what I did. I will have to get the name of that primer for you guys. I will take more pictures of different angles. Will take some tomorrow. It is kind of hard to give a step-by-step instruction, but if you are in the area of Cape Cod I will help anyone thats wants to take a stab at it.

can you give a detailed description then?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived