LegacyGT.com

Help! Teach me how to shift!

bwhahaa.....

btw: anyone see that video it related the one where some kids in a bmw wagon tried to cut off a semi but since they were going like 80+ they fishtailed and went sideways into a on-coming semi? name of video was "last two minute of life"

bwhahaa.....

btw: anyone see that video it related the one where some kids in a bmw wagon tried to cut off a semi but since they were going like 80+ they fishtailed and went sideways into a on-coming semi? name of video was "last two minute of life"

Yes. I left a comment thanking him for recording his own death.

You can't shift into reverse when you are going forward. For one, reverse is usually not synchronized, and even if it was it would be like trying to shift into first. Just doesn't happen, unless you really push on the shifter hard and really burn your synchros... But that would definitely take longer than whatever he did.

He probably went from redline 3rd to 2nd and dumped the clutch.

Sure. clutch goes in, you move the stick, clutch comes out. Not that hard :p

Seriously though, i don't know how people can mess up and get the wrong gears. I've 'tried' a couple of times, but you get the mother of all graunching, which sorta screams "WRONG GEAR KNOB JOCKEY" at which point you say oh **** and stop trying... you actually have to persevere though that, then dump the clutch on the poor car to get it in gear...

On the subject; the car i was going to buy, a 95 TT GT, got snatched before i could get the deal. Was ok, wasn't exactly what i wanted anyway. I got a txt from the guy selling a day later telling me the guy who did buy it was raping it up an onramp. He had reached the end of 3rd, and then managed to find 2nd, instead of 4th, and whizz-pop-bang, he blew the gearbox to bits, AND the engine to bits. Good job, i hope he liked his new car.

I've seen this happen frequently on hondas driven by young kids. The combination of very tight gearboxes, very easy-going shifters, and idiocy seems to encourage it.

Most do a 3rd to 2nd shift at redline but catch it as they are letting off the clutch. A quick spin up to 9000 rpms isn't good for the engine, but it can take it once or twice ;)

Archived