LegacyGT.com

Help on Suspension Issue Round Two

praedet

So, this thread documents my problem installing a SpecB Control Arm, and the fix. This new thread is to help fix the problem caused by the Control Arm install... :(

Basically the knuckle that the ball joint goes into is cracked. The bolt that tightens that knuckle is all the way tight, holding the ball joint in place, but there is a crack in the metal, so I have to replace the hub assembly. For those trying to figure out what I am talking about, it is the large metal piece that the brake caliper bolts too, the axle runs through, the ball joint attaches to, and the toe rod for the steering attaches to... :spin:

It was cracked by the guy helping me put in the control arms. I was doing this at a Auto Hobby Shop on an Air Force Base and they have mechanics on staff to help. He broke it by forcing the knuckle open too wide :( Part of working their is you sign a waiver that the Shop, nor the mechanics, are liable for any problems that arise there :mad:

Anyway, I have a new piece on the way, but Manuel does not seem to have any answers for me about the install. Anybody done this before? Can I do this myself with regular tools?

Please help part deux... :lol:

Ted

:spin:

dam....what kinda mechanic worked on the car a money? knuckle/ball joints are easy to seperate, all it takes is 2 hammers and some elbow grease.

since the damage is allrdy done taking the old one out will be easy. putting the new one on is the reverse of taking it off. best way ive found to push the axles out of the hubs is an air hammer with a tapered punch on it, drives them right out.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Car is fixed :D

I wimped out and paid a guy that all my coworkers recommend to fix it. $120 for the part, $20 for the overnight express, and $50 for the install...

I was just very worried that I would get to a place I couldn't fix. My wife is out of town, so I only have access to the LGT right now...

Car is fixed :D

I wimped out and paid a guy that all my coworkers recommend to fix it. $120 for the part, $20 for the overnight express, and $50 for the install...

I was just very worried that I would get to a place I couldn't fix. My wife is out of town, so I only have access to the LGT right now...

Yippeeeee, now start driving the crap out of your car so we can get more feedback.

This is what the guy did... :(

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle1.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e257/praedet/Suspension/IdiotBrokenKnuckle3.jpg

• 6 years later...
Excellent photos. They clearly show why removing the BJ can be such a PITA. First you have to break the rust bond that almost welds the BJ to the knuckle socket. And then the second obstacle is getting the BJ past the thick circular ridge of rust that exists half way into the socket.

Archived