LegacyGT.com

help picking speakers

RShaw

Okay so I just bought a cleansweep. Now I'm looking in to speakers. In my previous cars I have used both infinity and alpine type r speakers. Bu I'm not sure what to use it the legacy. Obviously the speakers will be amped, and there will be a small sub to fill in. Can anyone recomend a set of speakers that will fit nicely?

I was debating between type r's or infinity kappas. But my friend hes tellig me to go with hertz. Im not lookig for anything to insane. I just want it to be loud and clear, no bs.

I would apreciate any advice, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm installing a set of Memphis M class speakers powered by a kicker zx 200x4 amp on febuary 4th if you want to hear how it sounds before you make your decision let me know... I'll be doing either my kicker L7 15" or my two Orion 12" subs along with it I haven't decided which yet.

CDT makes nice speakers that wont break the bank. I was very happy with the set of components I put in my previous car. I may have to get a different kit, or at least a shallow midbass but I'm planning on running CDT in my Legacy as soon as I decide what way to go.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have always liked the sound of eclipse speakers. MB Quart is also very good. Sorry I don't have any more specifics for you...

I did install some Alpine SPS-600C's in the front of my '04...they sound great, but I'm afraid these are probably a little below the quality level that you're looking for.

I just put Polk db651s (front) and db651 (rear) They sound great....even off the factory HU. You can get them at a good price on Amazon and Crutchfield gives them great reviews for the price. My next step is the sub. But I'm going simple... Sound Ordnance B-8P. I don't need to win a bass of just want to add some deeper/richer lows to the great mid's and highs of the Polks. All three of these are very budget friendly.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same Polk db651s in my doors and love them. Sound great at high volume yet don't rattle in the doors. I found them to be the best buy I have made audio wise, plus, the marine rating makes them great for NE Ohio winters.

Many of the speakers mentioned would be a good choice, they are all quality products. Having said that, go to a place that has some of them to audition. What someone else's taste tells you is not as important as to what your ears tell you. You may like a speaker that has more emphasis on midrange where as I tend to turn down the mids. Here's what I've told my customers when they were coming to shop for speakers. Bring your favorite disc, something your really familiar with. Play the speakers in question. The one that sounds the best to you is simply the best one for you, regardless of others opinions. The ones they like sound best to them-not necessarly you. I happen to like Alpine TypeS 6 1/2s because I never (very rarely) have come backs due to blown speakers + they sound good + they are reasonably priced. But like I said, Many good options were mentioned.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Jl audio zr-650csi....on sale at onlinecarstereo.com

Just bought 2 pair and the avo Turbo world double din set up...I've used these speakers before and can honestly say they will not disappoint...also running a Jl audio 10w7 with a 500/1 and 2 Jl 300/4 for the components ....

Be prepared to do some fab/rigging work with that AVO DD kit. I heard its a biatch. I had enough headaches with the single din version.

Not to bad mouth JL as they are my hometown hero's (Factory/plant) is minutes from my house. They were at the cutting edge of speaker design in the 90's and nobody could touch them. I also Know Manville Smith of JL. BUT...... I've used their ZR/XR series line and find they are difficult to tune right and seem to have a hole in the lower mid frequencies (something other audiophiles in my area noticed as well) . This was for the first and second generation ZR line so things may have changed. I prefer to suggest (for someone on a budget) the Focal Access line of speakers . Can't go wrong there.

Shameless ploy to sell some stereo equipment here... But I've got a post up for my brother-in-law who's selling some seriously high end stuff. Morel components, hertz subs, audison amps... Awesome prices on it too.

Saying that though, I really like his Morel components, but since I've got FoCal Polyglass mids and the Kevlar tweeters... I didnt really need the Morels :)

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Be prepared to do some fab/rigging work with that AVO DD kit. I heard its a biatch. I had enough headaches with the single din version.

Not to bad mouth JL as they are my hometown hero's (Factory/plant) is minutes from my house. They were at the cutting edge of speaker design in the 90's and nobody could touch them. I also Know Manville Smith of JL. BUT...... I've used their ZR/XR series line and find they are difficult to tune right and seem to have a hole in the lower mid frequencies (something other audiophiles in my area noticed as well) . This was for the first and second generation ZR line so things may have changed. I prefer to suggest (for someone on a budget) the Focal Access line of speakers . Can't go wrong there.

I saw some issues with JL XR tweeters I used. I replaced them with Hybrid Audio L1v2 tweets.

I've been doing this stuff over 10 years, the Hybrid Audio Legatia speakers are one of the best I've used, period.

Damnnnn i havent checked back here in a while. There are so many choices. I actually just realized that i can get alpine at almost 50 percent off at work... i can get a set of type x refs for 207. How are the type x speakers. I dont need a competition system i just want it to sound good.

So im looking to replace my Boston Acoustics SL60's i have in the front.

They have a really sharp midrange that drives me nuts and i have yet to be able to EQ it out of annoyance.

What has the best flat response?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I just finished tweaking my system . I've used BA and can say I've had issues with them as well. Out of the box, pound for pound , dollar for dollar , The focal access speakers will make you happy within a budget. They require minimal EQ ing to sound great as opposed to others. I have them in the rears and much higher end in the front . Almost can't tell a huge difference . If IAN611 says Hybrid audio Legata's are the best then it must hold true as he is the reference speaker/sound man around here.

CDT is great, but they crave power. I don't think my CDT set would sound good unmapped (driven by deck)

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

So im looking to replace my Boston Acoustics SL60's i have in the front.

They have a really sharp midrange that drives me nuts and i have yet to be able to EQ it out of annoyance.

What has the best flat response?

http://hybrid-audio.com/products.htm

Try those.

Barring that, how are you unable to EQ it out? The midrange you're talking about is most likely part of the transfer function of the car. I've seen similar things in a lot of speakers in my LGT. The LGT tends to raise the lower midrange (200-400Hz) and also tends to have a sharp sound at 1.25KHz. The 1.25KHz peak is also very right door dependent. (Left and right doors are not the same, similar, but they have some critical differences.) The placement of the tweeters also tends to emphasize the highs, so you'll need to set your tweeters to -2-4dB down on your crossover depending on speaker and other factors. What EQ are you using? What is your analysis setup? I can make a few recommendations that will help.

The biggest reason to replace the SL60 with a "better" speaker would be for a better waterfall response in the low end, and a smoother response in the high (treble) end.

Archived