LegacyGT.com

HELP! Moved crank and cam during timing belt change

This is my third timing belt change but first on this vehicle. It's a 2007 2.5 SOHC EJ25.

I got excited/distracted and removed one of the idler pulleys before I rotated the engine to line up the crank and cams. Like an idiot, I then tried to see if I could still somehow crank it over and have everything line up and it clearly wouldn't.

I initially thought that I only moved the crank a tooth or two clockwise during this. I moved it counterclockise two teeth to put it back. I tried to see if I was able to move to cams. I moved the driver side about a centimeter and then moved it back. The passenger side would not move by hand.

I was thinking about re-pinning the tensioner, putting the belt back on, and turning the engine over to align the mark on the crank. Then removing the belt, and if the cams are slightly off, they would be close enough I could align them by hand.

Now, I am looking at the first photo I took after I removed the covers and the idler. Comparing that to a current photo, and use the spokes in the cam wheels and the holes on the crank wheel, it looks like everything is off.

Currently, the crankshaft is about 80 degrees clockwise of where it needs to be. The drivers side cam is about 75 degrees clockwise past where it needs to be. The passenger side cam is about 120 degrees clockwise past where it needs to be.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/seankaldhusdal/IMG_3488%20copy.png

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/seankaldhusdal/IMG_7080.jpg

This is getting me real nervous. I have stopped touching anything and am looking for help. How can I get everything properly lined up without doing any damage?

It has been suggested to me on another forum that when I removed the idler and the belt, the valves were seated closed. At this point I can turn the crank all day long and not do any damage. So, it was suggested that I set the crank gear to it's alignment point to ensure that the pistons are out of the way of any valves. At that point I can turn the cams to their alignment point, and then proceed with installing the new belt.

Any opinion that suggestion from here?

Yea if the belts off, the cams will spin to the point where the valves are closed.

Think about what the springs want to do, they want to move the cam to where they have the least tension on them.

You'll need to verify #1 piston is at top dead center before you move the cams to the correct timing mark location.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived