LegacyGT.com

Help me understand why Subarus are so slow on a road course

I have been reading on this forum for over 6 years how the Subaru Legacy GT is the King of Cars and is the best car ever made or ever to be made. It is faster than any Porsche and better then a Lamborghini. It is also light years ahead of stupid American cars like the Mustang and Corvette, which are overweight pigs with outdated technology that stand no chance against a Legacy, ESPECIALLY on a road course which everyone knows is where the only real kind of racing takes place.

Imagine my surprise when I read the current issue of Car and Drive which included their annual Lighting Lap, which is a comparison of various cars on a 4 mile road course.

Now we all know that the STI is a very special addition with lots of magical parts that s optimized for track performance, even more so than the Legacy Gt :hide: so what would the LEgacy do?

Here are some of the results:

Impreza WRX - 3:16.5

STI -3:13.8

Hyundai Genesis turbo - 3:13.8

Ford Mustang V-6 - 3:12.5

Ford Mustang GT - 3:08.6

Cadillac CTS-V coupe (which weighs over TWO TONS!!!) - 3:04.0

Porsche Boxster Spyder - 3:03.8

Corvette Z06 - 2:53.5

How is it that a Ford Mustang with a V6 is faster at on a road course than a WRX or a STI :eek:

Also, how can the Cadillac, which is a fat pig of a car that only has ONE camshaft and that isn't even an overhead one :spin:

How can one explain the Z06's time being OVER 20 SECONDS faster than a STI's around the same track?

Dsicuss.....

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious.................

The report is totally biased against Subaru, and any foreign car to be exact. Where is the true King of Cars in that list ? The Mighty GTR !

ps Hyundai must have bribed their way onto the list, and the editors wife has a Boxster Spider and if that wasn't on the list then no nookie for him :lol:

They forgot to use Tommi Mäkinen as a driver. :hide:

However - what about factors like tires? Did they drive all the cars the same day at roughly the same time otherwise the weather and track temperature will be a factor.

And a road track - it all depends on the layout of the track. It does seem to me that the track they used was beneficial for cars with a lot of horsepower. On another track the results may be the other way around.

It would be really interesting to see what the results would be on a track with mixed surfaces, which would be more like the real world. But I doubt that the car manufacturers would like to provide cars then - the risk of a repaint would be a bit too high.

453747.png

Meh, Subarus really aren't good dedicated track cars. Great DD, and great cars if you want to carry kids, go to work in snow, and then autocross all same week for a reasonable price...but not good for dedicated track cars, even the STI.

Times have improved for the Subarus over the years, but not as much as the competition has.

Oh wait, rao is the OP? Definitely oil-related. I bet the Subarus used in the test didn't have the Subaru synthetic oil running through them. Ayup, that's definitely the reason.

And for all the WRX fans, they can't use the RE92 excuse anymore either, since the WRX comes with summer tires now.

American auto manufacturers need all they can get to improve sales, company moral, and the public's opinion of them. A review in a car magazine that says a V6 Mustang is faster than an STi around a track is obviously skewed.
lol

I have been reading on this forum for over 6 years how the Subaru Legacy GT is the King of Cars and is the best car ever made or ever to be made. It is faster than any Porsche and better then a Lamborghini. It is also light years ahead of stupid American cars like the Mustang and Corvette, which are overweight pigs with outdated technology that stand no chance against a Legacy, ESPECIALLY on a road course which everyone knows is where the only real kind of racing takes place.

Imagine my surprise when I read the current issue of Car and Drive which included their annual Lighting Lap, which is a comparison of various cars on a 4 mile road course.

Now we all know that the STI is a very special addition with lots of magical parts that s optimized for track performance, even more so than the Legacy Gt :hide: so what would the LEgacy do?

Maybe it's the drivers?????:lol:;)

How is it that a Ford Mustang with a V6 is faster at on a road course than a WRX or a STI :eek:

Also, how can the Cadillac, which is a fat pig of a car that only has ONE camshaft and that isn't even an overhead one :spin:

How can one explain the Z06's time being OVER 20 SECONDS faster than a STI's around the same track?

Dsicuss.....

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

LGT and STi arent that fast stock. what makes them great cars is the bang for your buck you get out of modifications on them

It'd be interesting to set a budget equal to the most expensive car in the group, modify the others to use up that budget, and run the test again. I still don't think the Subarus would win, but I do think they'd close the gap.

It'd be interesting to set a budget equal to the most expensive car in the group, modify the others to use up that budget, and run the test again. I still don't think the Subarus would win, but I do think they'd close the gap.

Spend the same amount of money in aftermarket parts on an EVO and an STi and watch the STi get buried.

Spend the same amount of money in aftermarket parts on an EVO and an STi and watch the STi get buried.

^^^I'm afraid he's right. That 4G63 just :wub: boost and responds like no other to mods. It's essentially the small block Chevy (or even worse, the LS1) of the import world.

Dsicuss.....

Clearly you are just not smart enough to understand the superiority of Symmetrical All Wheel Drive coupled with a boxer engine in all situations. The LGT is a wonderful performance sedan, really a de-tuned race car, and the STI is a race car. My guess is that the testers at Car and Driver are hacks that don't know how to drive, plus they are biased, plus they take bribe money from BMW, plus they just don't understand the Laws of Spec B.

Clearly you are just not smart enough to understand the superiority of Symmetrical All Wheel Drive coupled with a boxer engine in all situations. The LGT is a wonderful performance sedan, really a de-tuned race car, and the STI is a race car. My guess is that the testers at Car and Driver are hacks that don't know how to drive, plus they are biased, plus they take bribe money from BMW, plus they just don't understand the Laws of Spec B.

Well, there you go! Spot on again:lol:

C&D did the same sort of crap in the sixties when they did a head to head (at Daytona, of a Ferrari GTO versus a Pontiac GTO.

The Pontiac won, the "purists" were aghast, and were sure it was a bag job.;)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived