LegacyGT.com

Help me figure a few things out, please.

1997 Legacy L wagon 2.2

I replaced the bulbs in the HVAC controls with flashlight bulbs but I wanted to use LED's. It looks like I have to take the panels off again to figure out why the lighter doesn't work so if anyone has used LED's, can you give me a part number? Radio Shack didn't have any in stock and I don't want to guess on ordering them.

Also, the bulbs in the control panel had green caps on them. Is this why the speedo cluster is green? All the lights work so I didn't want to remove it unless I can change the color of the bulbs to white by just removing the caps.

I'll search when I have more time later, so you don't have to answer this one if you just want to tell me to use the search bar. Since this car is OBD2, I'm hoping someone makes a chip or flasher. I don't really care much about adding fuel or timing, but the shift points (especially the downshifts) really suck and need remapped. I know about the power mode button mod but that only works when you turn the button on and isn't MPG or torque converter friendly if left on.

Finally, I can't find headers for this single port exhaust head. I found where one guy had an exhaust shop make a set of headers for him but no one around here will do it and I don't have a pipe bender. Is there really no one that will make them for the single port? The flange looks similar to the dual port but I haven't seen a dual port in person so I'm not sure if the dual port header will bolt-up and work or not.

Also, the bulbs in the control panel had green caps on them. Is this why the speedo cluster is green? All the lights work so I didn't want to remove it unless I can change the color of the bulbs to white by just removing the caps.

The HVAC bulbs, to my knowledge, are the ONLY bulbs that have the little green "condoms." In the case of the rest of the vehicle interior, the green is effected by the use of a green paint on the back of the button, or the instrument cluster. You CAN sand this off, but it's risky because a lot of times you end up sanding through the black background and you end up with transparent holes everywhere. You have to really have patience...

the ones in the cluster have the condoms on them too but its really going to be the gauge itself that will shine green, you'll need to sand off the back, its colored red in this picture but with leds, you may just need to leave it sanded and uncolored, if you do end up putting leds in the gauge cluster, make sure to break off the thin little plastic 'walls' that are used to direct light around inside there.. that will pretty much solve all hot spot issues with light distribution. heres what you need for those:

3 of these

2 of these

4 of these

the <'05 ecu and tcu are not able to be remapped, flashed, or chipped, the only option you have for any tinkering like that is to install a standalone or piggyback system that is really overkill for your needs, i would still recommend the power mod, the mpg cut is minimal and you have a few different option as far as wiring it on permanently, or to the switch.. that, and the lack of other options really makes its own argument

and as far as headers go.. no, unfortunately, the dual port headers will not work with single port heads and there is little to no aftermarket n/a header support for that type, there was a guy selling a limited batch for a very high price on rs25 a while back, but custom fabrication is going to be your best bet unless ou swap to dual port heads... ('95 2.2s had them)

Thank you sir.

I found out that there is a set of plugs under the dash, that when plugged in, make your car possessed. I guess they are for some dealer/factory diagnostics.

I also see this FWD fuse holder under the hood and it seems to be for making my car FWD only. Any MPG gain to be had from this?

I picked up a 96 Legacy GT and I want to swap the springs over because they seem MUCH stiffer then the wagon springs. From the sticky thread it sounds like they should be a direct swap (struts and all) and I shouldn't have a saggy butt. My question is, are the LGT springs really stiffer or do I just have worn springs on my wagon? I already know my struts are blown but that shouldn't account for the massive body roll this wagon has.

yeah, the green plugs under the dash should stay disconnected

the FWD fuse spot in the bay is there for 'emergency situations' where you have to tow with two wheels or drive a short way, there is no real benefit from keeping it in, although it may end up causing a bit more stress on the front axles

the LGT springs are a bit stiffer, nothing too crazy but they will 100% bolt up and if you're going wagon to wagon, you should get away with no ass sag, but if its sedan to wagon you definitely will

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-COBB-BLUE-SPRINGS-SPRING-RED-HOT-PINK-SHOCKS-SHOCK-/390551273316?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aeeab7f64&vxp=mtr

I thought about making an offer on these but I wanted to be certain they would fit. I know the guide says 04 only (swap to the 2nd gen wagon) but these seem to fit 04 and up (STi) so I'm confused about that. What I'm getting at is, if the 04 only swaps to the 2nd gen wagon, why wouldn't they only work on the 04 STi? I don't know why the 04 struts would work with all the 04-07 STi but only the 04 would work on the wagon I have. I understand there was a hub change but I don't understand what they did with the struts that would still allow you to use the 04 struts up to 07 on the STi but not use the later years on the 2nd gen wagon. Was there a change in the strut after 04 that didn't matter enough to prevent the use of the strut on the later STi but mattered enough to prevent the use on the 2nd gen wagon? I hope I'm being clear enough to not confuse you as well.

I have to replace the struts I have now so I expect to be spending $300 on that alone and I'm not looking for a stiff ride or even to lower the car, I just want to be rid of that massive body roll the wagon suffers from. I intended to make an offer on those springs/struts of $400 shipped (as that is my budget for this project) so if you have a better option for $400, I'm open to it. Somehow I'm thinking buying new struts for $300 then getting better springs for $100 wouldn't work out well. I can only imagine the crap that $100 springs would be.

if you want to get rid of body roll, upgrade your sway bars and invest some pocket change into a rear strut tower bar (02-03 wrx), that alone will take care of more than you'd believe

i'd say just get a new set of gr-2 struts all around for around $280ish

I was looking at the gr2 struts already but the strut brace is out because I still need this to be a wagon and can't have anything in the way. Sway bar upgrade is in but I really don't feel that will take care of it because just sitting on the back of this car moves the suspension quite a bit. It needs stiffer springs. I have a 1996 Legacy GT parts car and the springs on that seem much stiffer so I'm considering the LGT springs on new L wagon struts. I just wish I knew ahead of time what thickness spacer I needed for the rear.

spring rates are a bit higher on the LGT, you could do that

usually in aftermarket or wrx sedan suspension swaps a 3/8" spacer usually works out, if you have the time, test it out...ive had a couple combos that ended up being alright without one, but if not.. theyre only like $~25

but really, it's getting larger diameter sway bars that is going to null the body roll the most, you dont even need anything crazy... you could even use the one off the GT, its both larger, and will bolt right up

or you could grab the rear one off a third gen from a yard, they'll fit if you trim the hollow bump attached to the fuel tank

Thanks. I thought the LGT RSB was only 1mm larger, hardly seems worth the trouble. I'll keep an eye out for a 3rd gen at the yard.

So, I guess it is new wagon struts with LGT springs. I'm having issues finding L struts. The front is easy enough, but the back keeps saying sedan or Brighton models. I'm looking at Rock Auto if that helps.

I'll be getting a set of Monroe struts because they have a rebate now that will give me a pre-paid card with $120 on it, $30 a strut. This offer is good until April 30. I'm buying from Rock Auto but the rebate is probably on at all retailers.

Archived