LegacyGT.com

HELP: HID returnwire shadow

nismoz

I have searched and read many threads and posts regarding the returnwire shadow. I didn't quite understood which part I have to trim to be able to rotate the bulb.

I have a attached pic of car's current set up. Can anyone point and guide me which exact part I have to trim to rotate the bulbs?

817484059_Returnwire.JPG.7a8e1472bdaacf366bdbc40f2f10a57f.JPG

Thanks for the nice illustrations!

Still, I don't get it. Only cutting that red section you posted will still not make the bulb to rotate at all.

Shouldn't you cut the bulb like Blue section I attached? Like you gotta decrease the whole diameter because the red area where I highlighted holds the bulb from rotating since it has smaller radius than the bulb base...

Check Attachment 2 to get an idea of what I am trying to say.

1878472168_Idontgetit.JPG.cdfdcdd20f67768e6ca8e69e4a2bfd9e.JPG

1070132989_Returnwire2.JPG.27be9fb20b34acc31c6e0eaf74a74974.JPG

Thanks for the nice illustrations!

Still, I don't get it. Only cutting that red section you posted will still not make the bulb to rotate at all.

Shouldn't you cut the bulb like Blue section I attached? Like you gotta decrease the whole diameter because the red area where I highlighted holds the bulb from rotating since it has smaller radius than the bulb base...

Check Attachment 2 to get an idea of what I am trying to say.

I don't think you want to cut all that off. You'll need to cut the tab off, rotate the bulb where you need it (don't know if that's a full 180° or not) and then trim a little in the area where you would need a new tab to make it fit back in there flush. That way the bulb won't be able to rotate more after driving for a while.

That's what I said...you'll have to cut into the other side of the round part (where you would need a new tab) to make it fit back into place as well as just the tab that's there now. You don't want to cut the area all the way around that you drew in blue on your other pic because the bulb could start to rotate more as you drive around from vibrations.

That's what I said...you'll have to cut into the other side of the round part (where you would need a new tab) to make it fit back into place as well as just the tab that's there now. You don't want to cut the area all the way around that you drew in blue on your other pic because the bulb could start to rotate more as you drive around from vibrations.

If possible, can you illustrate how to cut it from the picture above? I kinda get it but brief illustration of the proper cutting line would be very helpful :lol:

Can I just ask what the returnwire shadow is? I haven't heard of this before and installed HID's on my MY08 Legacy. Do I need to be worried about this or do anything to my car?

Thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52406&highlight=HID+shadow&page=2

First 2 attached pic: Light pattern being affected by Return Wire of the bulb.

Last pic: Return Wire

In order to eliminate the return wire effect, you have to trim the base of the bulb so that it can rotate and make return wire sit at 6' clock position.

I made this thread because I wasn't able to find detailed info on how to trim the base.

1.thumb.jpg.a522935cb5432bc3a87c589f74b3cc2e.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.d366c8c43bdda4c8e1dffaa278fb2569.jpg

3.JPG.1e36ff959a4294101a68b481226cc700.JPG

:confused:I dont have HIDs yet...but From what i am reading you need to rotate the bulb 90º CW and have the return wire at 6 o'clock. I haven't looked at the housing so i may be wrong, but leave that tap there cuz it will support that side and cut where it is green putting the tab and the return wire at 6 o'clock. But i wont know till i install them myself. Hopefully someone will help with this because i am curious too.:confused:

1245595712_Return20wire202.JPG.5d8a0513cfa3fbb22e587381e3b90514.JPG

:confused:I dont have HIDs yet...but From what i am reading you need to rotate the bulb 90º CW and have the return wire at 6 o'clock. I haven't looked at the housing so i may be wrong, but leave that tap there cuz it will support that side and cut where it is green putting the tab and the return wire at 6 o'clock. But i wont know till i install them myself. Hopefully someone will help with this because i am curious too.:confused:

Exactly...just cut yourself a new tab wherever you need a new one to be at.

Holy shit... I must have been on crack. I am so dumb :lol:

Thanks for waking my brain up

If you don't want to replace the stock projectors Why you didn't use oem D2S bulbs with H7 adapter ?? it's not going to cost you more than $50, and you will get better beam pattern and brighter for sure... OEM FTW !! ;)

I don't quite get what you are saying. Isn't D2S bulbs used for Retro Fit? My set-up right now is Plug and Play HID Kit which seems to be most popular and cost effective alternate to the OEM bulb.

If you don't want to replace the stock projectors Why you didn't use oem D2S bulbs with H7 adapter ?? it's not going to cost you more than $50, and you will get better beam pattern and brighter for sure... OEM FTW !! ;)

He could have but still D2S kit with a H7 adapter is more expensive. He only needs to rotate the bulbs on his H7 kit so the return wires are at the 6 o'clock position.

• 2 weeks later...
He could have but still D2S kit with a H7 adapter is more expensive. He only needs to rotate the bulbs on his H7 kit so the return wires are at the 6 o'clock position.

Expensive, but if he is going to try D2S Philips+H7 adapter, I'm %100 sure he will not go back to pnp bulb ;)

Archived