LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! Broken lug nut..

SpecBGuy

so today i finally decided to grease up my brake calipers from all the noise. the place i got my alignment from over torqued my lugs i got 4 off but the last one just broke in half while i was trying to loosen it:mad::spin:.

anyone know if a shop can take this off or diy?:(

thanks

IMAG0580.thumb.jpg.b609f8a31f23699a48a07a2e209ce4fe.jpg

IMAG0581.thumb.jpg.7e1077af98d066ee6c0d89fa7d7403e5.jpg

photo.JPG.ddede3625263be631232ccf3d0ec0ca3.JPG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooohhh. I was thinking this was a recent thing. As in like a last weekend thing or something.

Well I have no idea how you could get that thing out of there. I would still take it to a shop and at least see what they think.

i dont want to use a hammer and a chisel since i might damage the studs but i did think about using a drill bit or some kind of filing. its going to take for ever. im thinking getting a powered hand saw but im not even sure if that will fit through the tiny space.

how much does it cost to replace the stud?

I think that would be the only feasible way of getting it out. There's actually sockets that you can buy that has reversed grooves inside, that'll grip onto the lug nut. It's used for stripped bolt heads.

Try sears or advance auto and auto zone.

I have no control over drippie.

I could be wrong but I really doubt one of those types of sockets will work. The ones I have, and others I have seen, are usually pretty thick-walled sockets and most likely will not fit between the lug nut and the wheel. Worth looking into though to at least see if a set might work.

17mm sockets fit perfectly with the lugs i have so if i lose my lug key i could use it. for this broken one it barely has anything to grip so it doesnt work. i might try hammer in 16mm and try it but again i dont think it has enough lug left.

fckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

You better not do that shit.

You'll possibly ruin the studs and grind out the lug holes. Plus it's not safe.

Chisel that shit out

haha it was just a thought but i know i wasnt going to do that. how much do new studs run?

+1 on No DRFT's suggestion. Chisel or punch - Small one, very sharp, good hammer, PB Blaster and take your time. You WILL prevail.

I ALWAYS tell the shop (mention twice) and double check lug torque after tire replacement. Sorry your having to deal with this.

alright guess ill let you guys know who ever cares how i get it off.

first im going to o'reilly after work to buy a socket that no drft mention they said it might work. second choice use a 16mm socket punch/hammer it in and try it. third chisel with hammer my last option since i might damage my studs. if everything fails hopefully my tears will make it come loose or pay $$$ to dealer to take it off.

dont worry about the stud. they are only a few bucks and easy to replace. just worry about getting the nut out. if a chisel and hammer dont work i would be grabbing the torch with the customer knowing about possible wheel damage but i keep the wheel pretty safe with the garden hose close at hand.

Agreed f*** the stud that's the least of your worries. Worry about the wheel and that's it. As stated a stud is cheap and easily replaced.

And it's really hard to tell how to get it off. When we take off broken lugs it's all kind of trial and error. Your best bet would be to get a good drill bit that is the same diameter of the stud and drill it out.

You'll want to start with a small bit first and drill a pilot hole then slowly step up the size of the bit. 1 it's make drilling easier 2 it's keeps from drilling into something you don't want to if your slightly off center. But just keep stepping up the size once you get enough drilled out. Just chisel the nut out.

While drilling go slow and use a penetrating oil to help keep bit cool.

Archived