LegacyGT.com

help on 5EAT

paulho77

* * I hv finish run in my engine and just did a tune. manage to hit 380whp on dyno but our last run, engine stall aft I let go the accelerator. park one side and manage to start my engine but when I put my gear to D or even R mode. car not able to move at all. wats yr analysis ?? thks guys

using IPT TC, IPT VB and IPT rebuild kit

from personal experience, start in in N, if it creeps forward, she be toasty

sucked. tranny lunch a definite possibility

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Having "busted" the first 2008 5EAT with an Import Performance Transmission valve body mod, I do have personal experience with them.

I do not make tranny parts. But me knows how to bust em up, lol.

the vb mod does not protect against tuner-persuading brake launches

* * I hv finish run in my engine and just did a tune. manage to hit 380whp on dyno but our last run, engine stall aft I let go the accelerator. park one side and manage to start my engine but when I put my gear to D or even R mode. car not able to move at all. wats yr analysis ?? thks guys

I just re-read this (not super clear), but your shift cable may not be adjusted properly. Have your mechanic take a look at it to see if when the shifter is in P R N or D the cable is actually putting the valve body selector rod in the right place.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

the vb mod does not protect against tuner-persuading brake launches

There were no brake launches (that day). We were being uber nice to everything as it was a fresh build. IIRC it was pull 3 when we saw it start to go. Knowing it was gone, I got pissed and gave it a few more pulls for good measure. Might as well break it right.

I had launched the car approx 4 times in its life. All on the same day at the drag strip. Changed fluid immediately afterwards. All looked good. It was months later that I went to the 16g and killed the tranny. Car was still stage 2 when I took it to the drags.

No one told me it was ok to launch the car. I knew what I was doing. We do not recommend customers launch cars at all.

Did you order a rebuild kit, or did you have IPT modify your transmission to make it a performance transmission? These are two totally different things. The rebuild kit is to just rebuild your tranny back to stock. With the performance transmission you have to send your tranny in to have them modify your pump, fluid flow, and they machine the clutch packs so they can fit more clutches in there.

Sounds like another busted IPT Tranny.

I'm not defending IPT at all, I just want clarification if the only mod was a VB/TC or a full transmission upgrade. I was thinking of eventually sending mine in so I just want to know if anyone had problems with the full IPT performance transmission upgrade.

I know of a few (more than two) members that have busted their full IPT trannies.

That's depressing. So basically we are limited to about 300-350whp with the 5EATs. Not that 300-350whp isn't a lot of fun but what guy doesn't want more.

That's depressing. So basically we are limited to about 300-350whp with the 5EATs. Not that 300-350whp isn't a lot of fun but what guy doesn't want more.

with the vb mod, it can handle more. right now my stock 5eat handles 320whp/350wtq no problem....not letting it wot shift, letting off. people on this forum (doccrowley) is running hta68 on the vb mod and tracking the car no problem

That's completely wrong IMO. Two of my customers are pushing >400whp (E85) with the Hex F1. One guy with stock 5eat and F1 turned his 68HTA up to 25psi on E85, and he said the trans held it fine. Obviously at that power level NOTHING lasts as long as stock 250bhp, but I bet you'd get good life out of it. I say 350 as my disclaimer, but if you want to go rogue, 400 is fine. Good luck doing that safely with a stock short block though. Might not last too long. Shouldn't launch it either, unless you are willing to break things. The 544 brass bushings in the center diff help a lot, but launching is launching, and if something is ever going to break, it will probably happen on a hard launch.

My build (when finished) will be 380whp on E85, and WILL be launched. Stock transmission, various versions of the Hex F1, bulletproof center diff bushings, front gear-type LSD, and that's IT. I would happily go with more power, but I really don't like a 4000rpm target boost threshold in 1st gear, in the middle of the city, where I live.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That's completely wrong IMO. Two of my customers are pushing >400whp (E85) with the Hex F1. One guy with stock 5eat and F1 turned his 68HTA up to 25psi on E85, and he said the trans held it fine. Obviously at that power level NOTHING lasts as long as stock 250bhp, but I bet you'd get good life out of it. I say 350 as my disclaimer, but if you want to go rogue, 400 is fine. Good luck doing that safely with a stock short block though. Might not last too long. Shouldn't launch it either, unless you are willing to break things. The 544 brass bushings in the center diff help a lot, but launching is launching, and if something is ever going to break, it will probably happen on a hard launch.

My build (when finished) will be 380whp on E85, and WILL be launched. Stock transmission, various versions of the Hex F1, bulletproof center diff bushings, front gear-type LSD, and that's IT. I would happily go with more power, but I really don't like a 4000rpm target boost threshold in 1st gear, in the middle of the city, where I live.

I have your bushings but haven't installed yet. I was too afraid to try it myself when I put in the VB mod. With leaving the transmission in the car and not having a lift (only ramps) I think it'll be too hard for me to do it myself.

I have your bushings but haven't installed yet. I was too afraid to try it myself when I put in the VB mod. With leaving the transmission in the car and not having a lift (only ramps) I think it'll be too hard for me to do it myself.

I assume you've seen my walkthrough on it. Are there places near you that rent lifts by the hour? There's one near me, $19/hr. Or get it up on jack stands and good jack. Perhaps a buddy can hook you up with the resources to get it into the air. Ramps are not great for transmission work, though I did a couple VB swaps on ramps when I first started.

email IPT regarding my unhappiness over their products..and their exact answer is "

We sold you a rebuild kit and modified your valve body and torque converter,we have no control over the rebuilding process,we have used those exact same parts and have seen over that amount of power and no problems,or how it was used/abused or if proper procedure was used on the dyno,dyno are very abusive to automatic transmissions."

I am confused. Did you buy the rebuild kit and then have your shop install it along with the TC and VB? When did the problems arise in the equation?

I am confused. Did you buy the rebuild kit and then have your shop install it along with the TC and VB? When did the problems arise in the equation?

i send my TC and VB to IPT (USA) to mod...i bot the IPT rebuilt kit frm IPT and had a local shop rebuilt the transmission with IPT rebuilt kit.

the problem found by my local mech is that the TC's bearing and input shaft broke...the ring around the TC disintergrated. my local mech had to open up the transmission to rebuilt again in case the fragraments of the bearing went into the transmission. (i hope i explain it as correctly as what was told to me)

i send my TC and VB to IPT (USA) to mod...i bot the IPT rebuilt kit frm IPT and had a local shop rebuilt the transmission with IPT rebuilt kit.

the problem found by my local mech is that the TC's bearing and input shaft broke...the ring around the TC disintergrated. my local mech had to open up the transmission to rebuilt again in case the fragraments of the bearing went into the transmission. (i hope i explain it as correctly as what was told to me)

I understand that better. Wow, never heard of that happening to a Legacy before. There is no good excuse for that happening unless there was serious installer error, and even then hard to imagine...

IPT now claims tat it would be due to installation problem...not their product fault. i mean ya tat might be true but den again i paid USD$3k to redo my fail tranny locally and i hv a phobia now to WOT...am dwngrading to 20G :(

I have nothing constructive to say.

Such is the risk when you use a service located halfway around the world, and compound the complexity by having multiple parties touch the same parts. I don't know that there was any better option, since the 08-09 LGT 5eat is still young in the aftermarket. A great solution for it does not exist yet. $3000 is actually not bad for the work done compared to some quotes I've received, but I don't know much about getting specialty work done specifically in Singapore. You live and learn. I believe I cautioned you before about a 08 build. One day it will be excellent like the 05-07 5eat, but not yet.

yes david u did warn me b4 hand..thks but am too impatient to wait any longer. oh well, no i just hv to patiently wait for yr 08-09 VB model :)

I am often the same way :)

Might want to PM BMX045 about driving tips to keep the transmission from wearing out. Basically, manual mode or the highest shift setting if in Auto, and easy on the gas when it's shifting.

Archived