LegacyGT.com

Help! 2 rims bent and I know next to nothing about rims!

Hi all. We got a used, 2006 Legacy GT for my husband about 8 months ago. He loves this car. The problem is we don't know very much about it, other than the fact that the previous owner had it "pimped out." We found something under the hood that makes it make a "Whooooosh!" sound when you step on the gas, which we think is an air intake something-or-other to cool the engine. It also has 18" wheels, and it is the version (not sure, maybe they all come with this stuff) that has both standard automatic, and it can shift into some kind of sports mode where you do the shifting. That's what we know about the car.

Two rims are bent from a nasty I-94 pothole, and we're trying to find something inexpensive to replace them with. We're not sure what to look for. We don't know if we have stock wheels or what "specs" to look for in replacement rims. We do know the tires themselves are almost exactly 8" wide. Does that mean that we need 18x8 rims, or 18x7.5, or what? We're hoping to look on craigslist and get some good, used rims. Does anyone have any advice/info that can help us?

MaBailey

Well to answer your question about the standard automatic and then the sports mode, yes all the newer Subaru Legacy's have that. It's called tiptronic. It allows you to make the car act as if it is a manual only without the clutch.

For the rims, unless you find the same exact rims, my advice to you would be to first take the rims to a shop and see if they can be professionally fixed. If not, you can always find wheels on this website with people selling theirs. The standard wheel for this car is a 17" wheel. Since you would be going from 18" to 17" you would need to change all 4 wheels, not just the 2 bent ones. Here are some links for a few that are for sale:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102838

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103269

Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

Thanks, Molal! I checked out the links and sent an email to my husband about one (we're right on the WI border). I also went out to the garage to see if I could get more info on the rims. They are apparently ENKEI, and I think are 5-lug (they have 5 bolts holding them in place), and we know that they are 18." Regarding the width, if the tires are 8" wide, would that make the Enkeis 18x8 rims??

Thanks so much for the help--I hate feeling so clueless about this stuff!

Tire width and rim width can be totally different. For example, the stock LGT ran 17 x 7 rims but 215/45R17 tires, which have a tread width of 215 mm or 8.5 inches. Also, in reference to your earlier comment, note that Tiptronic is a registered trademark of Porsche and is only licensed for use by Porsche, VW, Audi, SEAT, etc. It should not be use generically to refer to automatic transmissions with a manual shift function.

Also, in reference to your earlier comment, note that Tiptronic is a registered trademark of Porsche and is only licensed for use by Porsche, VW, Audi, SEAT, etc. It should not be use generically to refer to automatic transmissions with a manual shift function.

I was just trying to keep it as easy as possible a-hole...lol

Like Molal said, i would find some stock wheels and just get 4 of those. Do you happen to know what kinda tires are on there now and how many miles, it might be worth just getting new tires at the same time.

(tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic,tiptronic)

The OP needs to clarify whether she is looking for: 1) two identical 18-inch rims to replace the two damaged rims, 2) four 18-inch rims to use with her existing tires, assuming they are undamaged, or 3) four 17-inch stock rims AND tires. If the answer is #1, I'd recommend posting a picture and checking to see if the wheel size is stamped somewhere on the rim. (On stock rims, it's stamped behind the spokes.) If the answer is #2, I'd suggest that the OP post her tire size, e.g., 225/40R18, 215/45R18, etc., so we can advise her as to what rims will fit. Also, please check the sticky at the top of the Wheel and Tire forum here. If the answer is #3, I think there have already been several for sale links posted in this thread.

OK, I spoke with a local tire place who said they'd bet money the previous owner got a bunch of stuff done as a performance package at the dealership. They looked up Enkei info and found that Enkei did indeed do a "stock" wheel for Subarus, which is different from both the J10 and the RSV, both of which I found online which look exactly like the rims on my husband's car.

The reason getting new tires would be so very galling is that we got brand new Pirelli tires put on this thing literally just before Christmas, and the rims got bent just after (on the way back from the airport, dropping off relatives!!). Only the 2 rims on the left side of the car were bent, the other two are fine, as are all four tires.

The tire place said I might just want to try to track down the original dealership with the VIN (HOW?!?!?!) and find out what package it was, but said they're pretty sure it was an 18" stock Enkei. They also said trying to find some on craigslist could be tricky, since stock rims often aren't marked as clearly, or have slightly different specs from the aftermarket rims.

So, is my best option just to have a local tire place order two of the same rims? We had one place that said they could do it for about $521. Maybe this is a great price, and it just doesn't seem that way because we just shelled out $800 for tires last month?? Any thoughts?

Hi all. We got a used, 2006 Legacy GT for my husband about 8 months ago. He loves this car. The problem is we don't know very much about it, other than the fact that the previous owner had it "pimped out." We found something under the hood that makes it make a "Whooooosh!" sound when you step on the gas, which we think is an air intake something-or-other to cool the engine. It also has 18" wheels, and it is the version (not sure, maybe they all come with this stuff) that has both standard automatic, and it can shift into some kind of sports mode where you do the shifting. That's what we know about the car.

I'm sorry I don't mean to be a troll but this portion of the post just sounds ridiculous. Almost like this is a gag post just put up there to see how people respond.

if not then please post pictures so we can see what we are dealing with.

The 2006 Subie sport shift isn't exactly tiptronic. You can use it to remap the auto tranny gear change points; I use that mode for going over passes. You also can use it to shift, and the - and + on the wheel do this without even moving the shift lever to sport mode. I use "-" for engine braking going down my hill, from home to town, on these icy days. I kick it down a gear or two. At the bottom, as I approach higher speeds, the little gear number loses the up arrow-down arrow and the tranny goes back into normal auto mode and I don't use the shifter at all for any of this.

Archived