LegacyGT.com

Head bolt replacement

You CAN reuse the head bolts. But you SHOULD replace them.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Tell me about it. Has any one seen one fail, back out or snap on when reassembling.

Yes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 9 months later...

Whats the going rate for these bolts? I'm seeing 60 billz a set on ebay...

I'm looking at my 180,000 mile car as a total loss after timing belt failure and that its all a big bonus if I get it running again. Therefore I'm leaning towards reusing the bolts.

From what I read the 00-04's were reuseable while the 05's and newer are supposed to be replaced.

I'll keep ya posted if I snap one off and regret being a cheapskate.

Currenlty leaning towards putting my non cheapskate decision making into OEM headgaskets.... but the cheap fel pro's are so tempting on ebay.... But no one recommends anything but OEM so I won't let my cheapskate heart get the best of me.

nevermind again. These guys are saying they are stretch bolts, but they are not torque to yield (the point at which metal deforms)

I'm going cheapskate and using my old bolts. I figure used OEM might be better then mysterious quality aftermarket 30 dollar bolts.

A subaru mechanic on this site recommend OEM head gasket and thermostat. He says the rest is up to you.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/117374-ej25-cylinder-head-bolt-replacement-qs/

Replace them with the ones you've used

:lol: I'm still chuckling.....

My vote is for reusing, unless your dealing with a performance engine. That is my plan for the head gasket job I am gathering parts for, non performance, non replacement.

As far as costs for subaru gaskets, I found there to be a pretty large discrepancy in prices between dealers. My local dealer wants $49.95 for a head gasket, yet the dealer in Puyallup, WA wants $35.96. I'd save $30 on just those two gaskets, and I think just the savings on one will cover shipping. Then factor in all the savings of the other seals and gaskets, I think the cost of OEM gaskets would be about the same as aftermarket from this dealer, and in reality, probably cheaper, even with shipping. BTW I've seen some dealers charging as much as $70 for a single head gasket!

Moral of the story, shop around, all dealers are not created equal. Plus there is a lot to be said for having all your parts come to you, instead of running around town gathering them yourself.:spin:

Good luck.

Well, they're torque to yield, it's a PITA like 6 step process. 4 of them get set to that and the center 2 to like 25ft lbs I think, then you have to turn them all 90deg in order then another 90 in order, ends up being a LOT more torque by the time you're done!

the torque sequence is very specific.

make sure you know what it is and follow it.

and no where in the field service manual does it say to replace the head bolts when you replace the head gasket.

it does say to ''use new head gasket'',

but it does not say anything about the bolts.

the torquing process is all about the head gasket, not the bolts.

they are not torque to yield.

I was under the impression that angle tensioning was torque to yield. The point being that you are tightening the bolts past their elastic state, giving you equal clamping force based on the stretch of each individual bolt? I get the sense I'm confusing or collapsing a theory here?

The bolts are not torque to yield. I've seen plenty of people crack a block before the threads on these bolts ever flip, and even before they'd strip the threads of the block. I have never replace head bolts, have used head bolts up to three different times on the same motor, and have never had a problem.

Like John said, it is all about the process. Get it right and you will not have a problem.

Archived