LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS: use stock shims?

ilh

I'm about to install Hawk HPS to replace the OEM pads. Should I reuse the stock shims (two per each front pad, not sure of rear)? I would assume so for noise. I planned to clean and then regrease the shims.

The HPS do seem to have a single shim layer glued on.

Where can one buy new shims? The old ones are pretty beat up at 50k.

--Lee

Yep. i had to.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I couldn't get mine to fit at first. After 4,000 miles, one trackday, and much squealing, I broke out the brake cleaner again and tried again - now they fit just fine, and no noise.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I ended up with 1 shim per pad. On the front, the stock inner shims (closest to pad) were rusted away, but the outer shims are stainless and cleaned up fine. On the rear, the single shim wasn't in too pad of condition. It took a C-clamp to get the brake pistons in enough, but it wasn't a problem clearing 1 shim per pad.

I realize I could go shimless since the HPS have a shim of sort glued to them, but I've had issues with noise in the past (mostly on a Volvo) and prefer to use greased shims.

If I was doing it again, I would order 1 shim per pad from the dealer. My dealer could get them next day if ordered by noon, but that didn't fit into my schedule once the job had started. Cleaning the stock shims was a bit of a hassle. The parts guy said they are about $2 per shim. They don't stock the shims individually since they apparently normally come with the stock pads, but he could order them.

After flushing brake fluid (I use ATE Super Blue) and bedding in, I'd estimate the bite about 10-20% more than stock. Hopefully they will remain silent; they haven't made a peep yet. I was rather surprised at how little dust was on my wheels after bedding in. I'm used to this step producing quite a bit of dust until the pads are fully broken in, especially when using old, unturned rotors. Stock Volvo and VW pads must be the dustiest known to man. Fortunately, these seem quite clean.

So far so good. I was after a little more bite than stock. I'm not a fan of too much bite (or brake boost) as seen on some cars as that can make modulation more difficult.

--Lee

i didnt use the shims. no squeal no issues.

it did dust a LOT when they were new though. dont know if i was imagining it but my rims were super dusty after 1 week.

car for sale. PM me!

After about 700 miles, I'm still very much liking the HPS. I still haven't heard a peep, and dusting through this bed-in/break-in period is still less than stock pads. Great!

HPS are great. They have built in shims so no need for the OEM ones.

I regularly track my car and my HPS pads are holding up very well. So far done 4 track days and my pads are barely half worn, along with 20k street miles.

Just put on DBA4000 rotors :)

-mike

HPS are great. They have built in shims so no need for the OEM ones.

Now you tell me. I reused the heavily corroded shims with the HPS's, put on plenty of grease, and they squeak. Not bad enough to drive me mental, but it's there. :mad:

Someone told me of some other caliper goo to use that really works, but I forgot what it was called.

sweet installing mine tomorrow exact same setup dba4000, technafit lines, hawk hps, motul rbf600. Can't wait to stop the squealing!

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

sweet installing mine tomorrow exact same setup dba4000, technafit lines, hawk hps, motul rbf600. Can't wait to stop the squealing!

Now too bad you didn't buy them from me :)

So far I have the DBA4000s + used Hawk HPS Pads on mine and they are doing very well. I have a squeel but I think it's due to one of the boots on my caliper being torn, I have to rebuild that caliper and see if that helps. I can't wait to run it at the track to see how they do, not that my old setup did badly at all, but this one should be much better.

-mike

Yeah it is too bad, i had to wait a while for my dba4000's hopefully they come early tomorrow.

Perhaps later this summer we can hookup for a mountain drive. I have a place 50 miles NW of Albany in the Adirondacks, some great roads up there :)

-mike

Archived