LegacyGT.com

Hard rain test drive & 2 new LGT Wagons @ Rancho Imports San Diego

SBT

For all,

I was caught in rain-stopped traffic Friday night so I pulled off the freeway and stopped in at Rancho Imports, ostensibly to test drive a LGT 5MT in the rain and put the RE92 tires through their paces. I also wanted to try out the ABS since I've heard quite a bit of dissent on this board about premature ABS light off. I was very impressed both with the grip/adhesion of the tire (for an OEM tire) and the ABS, which didn't lock up as quickly as others had found, and worked as I expected it would.

Also, at the end of the drive, we futzed around with the ACC system so that I coud understand how the system worked and I can see where individuals would have some concerns with the system. It seemed to work the way it was supposed to and the 65 to 66 transition (in both auto and manual modes) did not seem as significant as other had indicated here. Possibly a function of the cooler weather and humidity? I don't know but it all seemed to work correctly. Also, I could not get the high heat at 65 in manual mode which many, including me, think comes from the cowling and high, under-hood heat. Again, probably a function of the cooler outside temps and the humidity.

Robert Mitchell was the sales rep that waded through the downpour to find an LGT 5MT. Unfortunately no wagons, but they did have a sedan with about 100 miles on it so we drove that.

After the test drive, we talked some more about Legacy sales and how to get the word out to other Subaru buyers that cars are avaialble. Robert went to check availability and said that they were expecting two new wagons in within the next week or so. I asked him to email me with the options packages which he did. I had another email from him yesterday and he indicated that the wagons came in Saturday, 1 week in advance of when they expected them. They will be PDI'd and ready to drive today, Monday 1/10/2005

Here's how they are equipped:

LGT Wagon

2.5GT AWD 5-Speed, Atlantic Blue with Black interior;

Subwoofer/Amplifier

Rear Cargo Net

Wheel Lock Set

Rear Cargo Tray

Popular Equipment Group 3 - Security System Perimeter Alarm, Auto-Dimming Mirror Compass-Homelink

LGT Limited Wagon

GT LTD AWD Automatic, Silver with Black Leather;

Subwoofer/Amplifier

Wheel Lock Set

Rear Cargo Tray

Popular Equipment Group 2A - Center Armrest Extension, Cargo Net Rear

Popular Equipment Group 3 - Security System Perimeter Alarm, Auto-Dimming Mirror Compass-Homelink

Phone number is 858-271-7100. Ask for Robert Mitchell (robertatrancho@yahoo.com) and tell them you heard it from me on this board. Not getting anything out of this, just want to make sure that our local folks know about it.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

For all,

I was caught in rain-stopped traffic Friday night so I pulled off the freeway and stopped in at Rancho Imports, ostensibly to test drive a LGT 5MT in the rain and put the RE92 tires through their paces. I also wanted to try out the ABS since I've heard quite a bit of dissent on this board about premature ABS light off. I was very impressed both with the grip/adhesion of the tire (for an OEM tire) and the ABS, which didn't lock up as quickly as others had found, and worked as I expected it would.

Also, at the end of the drive, we futzed around with the ACC system so that I coud understand how the system worked and I can see where individuals would have some concerns with the system. It seemed to work the way it was supposed to and the 65 to 66 transition (in both auto and manual modes) did not seem as significant as other had indicated here.

SBT

Oh no - don't tell me gtguy was right and things are not as bad as others portray them????:lol:

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I've been slogging through flooded roads and intersections (running water 8" deep, plus mud) all week. I think just maybe the engineers at Subaru picked a decent tire for the Legacy. No slipping, no ABS problems. Oh yeah, the remote works just the same rain or shine: Like shit.

Hey, After driving my new GT wagon in the rain for the past week I can say that the wipers on my car don't suck...front or rear. :)

Don't know about rain gutters...but I haven't been getting dripped on when exiting the car when it's wet. So far all is good for me!

Excellent. So the Legacy's more perfect than we're led to believe... Just like those Seattle folks always complaining about rain so that nobody will move there--they get to enjoy it all to themselves.

I wonder if Subie sales spike with bad weather? :p

Is there still a dealer named Balboa Subaru in San Diego?

No, thank God, they lost their franchise to Rancho Imports. I had two (2) really bad experiences with Balboa but that's another story for another time.

Leann Williams the Subaru product manager at Rancho was gracious and spent quite a bit of time talking to me about their future plans for the Subaru line at the dealership. Rancho is positioning itself to be the Irvine Subaru of San Diego with a Subaru only showroom, maintenance center and performance, shall we say "enhancement" center.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived