LegacyGT.com

GT steering wheel w/ stereo controls

thespeter

I love my car, but there were two options I wanted desperately that it didn't come with: Auto-dimming mirror w/ HomeLink w/out compass (which is on the way), and stereo controls on the steering wheel.

After I bought it, I found out the 6-cylinder Outbacks come with the controls I want on the wheel, so I got excited. I checked with the Subaru dealership techs, and they said it would plug right into my steering column and work fine. I got even more excited. But then I found that the wheel only comes with the wood trim, which I don't want in my black-leather-lined cocoon.

My first thought was to get an Outback wheel and just take the stereo buttons and put them in my wheel, but I have a stickshift, so there is no place for it. So now my seemingly only option is to buy both the 3.0R wheel and the one for the auto-tranny-hindered GT Limited and do the swap that way and then replace my stock one with that. But that would run me about $750. In my book, that's kind of steep for a couple buttons.

Is there a JDM black leather wheel with the stereo controls in it? Where would I find out? Anybody out there got any other ideas?

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking last night how glad I was that the steering wheel didn't have the controls on it. I've never really liked that for some reason.

I think changing the wheel would be interesting. It would require some pretty fancy wiring though. You'd need the wheel and the wiring harness from the Outback as well as a compatible headunit. If the Legacy head unit doesn't have the capability to be controled from the wheel, then you may have problems.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Do these look like stereo controls to you? They sure do to me. And that sure looks like a Legacy interior...

http://a904.g.akamai.net/7/904/506/v0011/images.autobytel.com/view/aic/SUBARU/LEGACY/sdn/usa_2005_SUBARU_LEGACY_sdn_4_x_indrvrdash_x.jpg

That is just a picture I found while looking for one of the gauge pod to show a friend. Interesting.... There wasn't any other information about the car or the owner. Its a left hand drive car, so we can assume its not necessarily a JDM car.

OCDETAILS BLOG

actually.. they look like the shift controls up/down.. exactly like my legacy.

legacy - shift controls

Outback - radio controls & mp3 capability in radio

A for effort though :)

I have the auto tranny and I do not like using the steering wheel shift buttons -- it is just more natural to use the stick. I would have much rather had audio controls on the wheel.

Rob

We need the wheel from the Euro 3.0R - same Momo as the GT but with the buttons. One of the guys from Germany posted pics of his interior including his stainless pedals.

My bro has an LL Bean - I have been trying to talk him into letting me 'borrow' his car for a day. Little does he know that I will be swapping steering wheels to see if we can make this work. :lol:

EDIT - found the pics. Actually a member's car from Oz:

# 1

# 2

Whoops.... guess that proves that I've never been in a Legacy automatic, eh?

If you could get your hands on just the controls from a car with the option then you would at least be able to retrofit it on there. I'm sure there is a wrecked subie out there somewhere that you can salvage off of. You may be able to order the parts you need directly from Subaru. It may cost you three gillion dollars, but it could be done.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Dont the Ozzys get a different stereo than us? The Mccintosh one if I recall? Wouldnt that make a difference? Id be VERY interrested in finding a solution to this... My stupid chebby blazer has wheel controls fro the stereo why can the LGT?

Jeff

What I was thinking is maybe you can remove the wooden part of the 3.0R steering wheel and replace it with the GT's. I'm sure it'd work. When I get my car and want to absolutely waste money, I want to end up putting the stereo controls from the 3.0R and the rest of the steering wheel from an STi :).
-ben

Dont the Ozzys get a different stereo than us? The Mccintosh one if I recall? Wouldnt that make a difference? Id be VERY interrested in finding a solution to this... My stupid chebby blazer has wheel controls fro the stereo why can the LGT?

Jeff

Yes, but the controls are the same as the ones we get. I can't see Subaru making two sets of integrated controls on the steering rack. Besides, the controls just send a voltage signal - the radio knows what to expect and responds accordingly. They spec the equipment and the audio companies build to suit. We get Panasonic here while other markets get Clarion or McIntosh (still Clarion).

People...we shouldn't have to RETROFIT these controls or even have them as an OPTION. They come standard on any average sedan and should be standard on the GT period.

I griped about the lack of stereo controls when this board first opened and got blasted....apparently the first members never had cars that had these standard items....lol

Having shift controls on BOTH sides of the wheel (SEAT) is just plain pinching pennies by Subaru.

Wake up Subaru!

Well, we know that we already have the wiring and the outback wheel would probably work (even if it wouldn't match the interior). I'm thinking we saved a couple pennies too right now, and when a newer model comes out with steering wheel controls, we can probably buy one and stick it on. Not a big deal methinks.

Patagonian GT: Thanks--so there IS hope! YIPPEE!!! (pardon the old farm expression) :D Are you sure that's a German car, though? All the cars I drove in Germany were left-hand drive...

Red Beast: Thanks for the paint suggestion, too--although I'm trying to keep the "Redneck Effect" to a minimum. ;) I want the leather because it feels so nice to hang on to, which is important when carving up icy mountain roads at 50mph. :p

Now for the next inevitable question: Anybody have any German connections to get a hold of this wheel? I've got a need here.

!S4: I agree--too bad I have American-itis and want it NOW to be paid for later!

Axis008: I'm just shy of knowledgeable on steering wheels and I'm afraid I'd mess it up. That's the last thing I want: a brand new leather-lined car with duct tape holding the steering wheel together. ;) Are my fears unfounded?

actually.. they look like the shift controls up/down.. exactly like my legacy.

legacy - shift controls

Outback - radio controls & mp3 capability in radio

A for effort though :)

Actually:

Legacy 5EAT: shift controls

Outback XT 5EAT: shift controls

Outback 3.0 ?llbean: Shift contols, radio controls, MP3

A for effort to you too, RoundBoy! :)

its moronic by subaru not to have stereo controls on the wheels,,, its one of my gripes,, its extremly convienant and safer to turn down your stereo using wheels controls than reaching over to change it lookin down,,, blahhhhhh

I am convinced the LLBean has an outboard amp as well. My bro has the OEM sub like I do - but, at volume '10', we cannot talk over the music in his. You have to get the LGT to '20' or higher for that. The model # on the radio is the same, so I think there may be an amp module somewhere. My bro's stereo shakes his side mirrors. Mine doesn't....yet. ;)

Knowing how gadget happy the Japanese are, I can't understand how they didn't supply as standard these controls on the wheel. Even the very basic of basic cars made locally here in Oz have them. I even expected Subaru would come up with some new ideas to stand out from the crowd (such as programmable functions), but all they have done is pretty ordinary at best.

It looks like the little silver metal panels where the buttons are could maybe be swapped-out, instead of fooling with the entire steering wheel. Has anyone looked at this? I may try to take a look at it this weekend...this is a feature I'm really missing in my LGT from my last vehicle.

Just to satisfy the confusion, the radio buttons come with all 6-cylinder models because they're not intended for sporty driving and therefore don't have sport shift tranny buttons.

The GT, on the other hand, IS made for flogging and so has the shifters on the wheel for the automatics. I think it's just a disappointing thoughtless jip that we can't get the radio buttons with the real shifter.

fan42025 is right still: how does Subie intend to move upscale with humdrum features?

Blaze--you're right about swapping out the silver tranny button panels for the radio button panels, but those of us with 5-speeds don't have the panels at all, thus making me look for another wheel and fundage to pay for one.

Patagonian GT--my bad: I had no idea what "Oz" meant until now.

1170261079_Streekdash.jpg.a7f51b7687acfac8baee1c69fb4c2b09.jpg

Knowing how gadget happy the Japanese are, I can't understand how they didn't supply as standard these controls on the wheel. Even the very basic of basic cars made locally here in Oz have them. I even expected Subaru would come up with some new ideas to stand out from the crowd (such as programmable functions), but all they have done is pretty ordinary at best.

Totally agreed.....the interior amentities are average at best.....

Archived