LegacyGT.com

GT steering wheel

After searching i found a couple answers to my questions...trabbics "how to" will be a big help to show me how to remove the wheel and airbag, BUT my question is for you GT guys_is the OEM leather steering wheel worth buying?? i hate the steering wheel in my car i just got, the top is faded to boot...as long as i buy a wheel with the same setup as mine(cruise on little knob between spokes) this should just bolt right up correct? also, is the airbag covers the same between GTs and my car?? i found some leather wheels to buy, but when searching i found a few people that have had issues with the leather flaking and coming apart at the seams..i really want to do this mod myself, but if the swap with the GT leather wheel isnt going to hold up well, then i may take a different route...any help would be appreciated..i did this in my Trailblazer and it was very easy..i installed a woodgrain wheel and a new style air bag cover, only took bout 40 minutes for me..im thinking i could send the guy that did my TB my current wheel and have em leather wrap it and add chrome inserts on the top and bottom, whatda guys think?? GT or custom??

I like the GT wheel pretty good. I think its a little thin IMO tho. I'm sure they would be pretty easy to come by and they may be reasonably priced. However, I'm not 100% positive on fitment, but the K2 Gear REIZ steering wheel is gorgeous and its only $449. It looks like it would fit fine tho.

thanks for all the help..after doing some research..im gonna avoid the GT steering wheel..i am going to have one custom made for my Subie..its going to be refinished in black leather, like the GT wheel, but im having titanium inserts put on the wheel on the top and bottom..itll match rest of the interior and give the wheel a nicer appearance i think...with shipping itll be about $250...itll take awhile to be made so as soon as i get it ill post pics..thanks

FYI, I just swapped to a Spec B wheel... Easy to pull the wheel off: 17mm socket and T30 torx...btw, selling my 06 wheel... Let me know if your interested. It's mint.
Rehab is for quitters.

FYI, I just swapped to a Spec B wheel... Easy to pull the wheel off: 17mm socket and T30 torx...btw, selling my 06 wheel... Let me know if your interested. It's mint.

glad to hear its easy..wasnt bad on my Trailblazer either..as far your wheel, i see you have a GT right? i bought a spare vinyl wheel off of ebay for $40..figured itd be easier for the company to wrap the vinyl in leather, instead of using a leather wheel already..i couldnt beat the price either..hope this mod goes good..ill post pics when installed, i might even have the company redo some interior bits too..i want the vent surrounds and door handle surrounds done in titanium too..not sure though how any of those pieces are removed..havent found any how tos on that yet..

• 2 weeks later...
well..my steering wheel is almost done..got a call today from company doing it..the wheel, kick panel under steering wheel, and my dash defroster vents should ship out later this week..ill hopefully have everything installed by early next week..ill post pics as soon as i can..

Leo, yes I called it in but they weren't sure if it is the exact same as the 05 STI with out the audio buttons so I just swapped in my spare JDM STI wheel (sans cruise control or I'd have to splice the harnass) and sent them my original wheel to be modified. I actually talked to them about a possible group buy like you did with the Crawford OCC but haven't followed up.

• 3 weeks later...
Got my wheel put on today..thought i was gonna bust a nut getting the bolt off of the wheel..finally broke it free..then i had to remove twice because i didnt have the wheel centered very good with the wheels..oh welll..im a rookie DIYer..heres a pic of it installed..i am happy with the results! i also had the kick panel under wheel done in matching titanium too..:wub: looks good with a little of that carbon fiber wrap..this stuff is of good quality. BUT im not a huge fan of working with it..very tedious stuff!

1471564830_steeringwheelkickpanelcarbontrim.jpg.301e47724dd7b81190e371814b816b73.jpg

interesting look, but i guess i'm not a fan of the titanium color wheel. Kinda like wood steering wheels. feels weird. just my opinion though. lotta ppl like it i guess.

i'd love to swap my 09 SE steering wheel to a 08/09 limited or gt leather steering wheel in the near future. gotta find one first. =]

i like the feel of it..the metal part is smooth and cool to touch..and the leather is very soft..im happy with the result..much better than the cheap dicolored vinyl wheel..be prepared to pull teeth getting the bolt off of your wheel..had to hold wheel still with my nees and crank till i was blue getting mine off....good luck with yours

Archived