LegacyGT.com

Where to ground amplifier?

Drift Motion

So I put together a system myself, pretty much a noob when it come to audio stuff.

Kenwood HU

Rockford Fosgate Mono-Channel Amp (300W RMS) (mounted to the back of the rear seat in the trunk)

Rockford Fosgate 12 inch sub (250W RMS) (in an enclosure already)

2005 LGT Limited Sedan 5MT

The HU works no problem, just looking for a little more bass, thus I tried adding a simple amp/sub setup

My car had some kind of audio from the previous owner, thus power cable, fuse, ground wire, remote, RCA cables were all existent.

However, when the previous owner took out the audio stuff, they just left the ground cable chilling under the spare tire. I can't figure out where exactly did they ground the amplifier cable to before, thus I tried searching for my own.

I tried using the fuel pump cover bolt(I feel it is kind of scary to use this bolt, only used it for couple of hours). It works, but randomly I won't be able to start my car? No crank, no turn over, no fuel pump priming, no beep, no lights, just one click and the car is completely dead. My battery is kind of old? but a multimeter showed 12.5V. When I take off the amp battery cable, car starts right away.

Someone told me that improper grounding can lead to frying the ECU? As of right now the amp/sub system is uninstalled...

cliff note:

Where is the right place to ground my amplifier so that my car won't randomly not start? Rear strut bolt = good place?

Thanks

-David

arent the seat bolt very big in diameter?

where would I find a connector ring that big?

i tried going to radio shack, they only have 8 or 10 gauge max, nothing for 4 or 6 gauge...

in my 2011 i popped off the tabs holding the carpet on the wall of the trunk i found a bolt i could ground the amp to

Or order from SonicElectronix or somewhere online.

When I had the amp under the drivers seat in my Forester, I grounded off of the seat bolt. When it was in the trunk of my first and second Legacys, I grounded to the bumper beam bolt through the trunk. No holes drilled in either case.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I assume I can find something like that at home depot?

Indeed... Or a welding supply store if you happen to have one around!

As per SonicElectronics...I have had bad luck with them for product support...GL!

Rear seat bolt. The one that secures the back not the butt. As for the ring terminal, forget places like Radio Shack or Home Depot. Go to a car stereo installation place. They can supply you with one for a couple bucks. If it's still a little small don't worry, you can make a single cut in it to spread it.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
There is no specific place to ground the amp. I'm surprised at the number of responses of people just using seat bolts etc, and I am assuming not removing paint to bare metal... Find an inconspicuous place under some carpet, sand back the paint to bare metal and secure, you won't have any problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Found a bolt some where in ur trunk (assuming that u are mounting it in your trunk) and sand down there area around it. I didnt use anything special, just made the wiring into like a ring shape and place under the bolt and bolted back tightly... let me know if u need pix

• 1 year later...
You can run your wires wherever you want to; down the center is fine. Make sure your ground is to clean, bare metal and not a painted seat bracket. You have to sand the paint off your grounding point.
MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Archived