LegacyGT.com

Grinding Noise in a 99 Subarau Legacy 2.5 GT

G_Cantor

Hello, this is my first post...

I recently noticed a sort of grinding noise coming from my car. The car is a 99 Legacy 2.5 GT sedan, with an automatic transmission and 114,000 miles. It is difficult to place where the noise is coming from - its not very loud but certainly noticable. The wheel bearings, brakes and wheels were all recently changed. It only occurs when traveling between about 5 and 20mph - the noise stops when it shifts around 20. The noise occurs and sounds about the same when either braking, accelerating or just coasting between these speeds, but is a little louder around turns; however, the noise does not occur when driving in reverse. Any help would be appreciated.

-Peter

Thank you for the reply... I hope that's not the case, but it definitely is starting to seem that way. The only thing that makes me hesitant to think so is that is shifts really quite smoothly and its hard to tell if the noise coming from the engine area. I'm also not sure it sounds like a transimission grind - its a bit more hollow sounding - strangely enough its almost like when you set the needle down on the edge of a dusty record, just before the music starts. But, then again, I'm not sure what else would cause it to grind only in a specific gear.

sounds like your describing a wheel bearing except you said they are new (could be bad out of the box as in a defective part) but that noise usualy gets louder with speed.

try getting your car to make the noise and shift into neutral and coast. any change? try neutral and shutting off the engine still a noise? be be ware you will have no power sterring and limited brake assist with the engine off. with the car in neutral you can restart the car with it rolling and then shift back into drive. DO NOT SHIFT TO REVERSE OR PARK!!!

get exhaust manifold and heat shields checked

i have same car manual and i had the same problem and they said(at dealership) it was the heat shields. got it fixed for free

they may have said something about a y pipe

good luck, i thought mine was something bad but it was nothing so hopefully same 4 u

for a heat sheild possibility. put the car in gear and hold the brakes very firm. and slowly rev the engine (while in gear and holding the brakes) upto the rpms where you heard the noises. there should be a sweet spot where what may eb ratteling will have a harmonics with the engine vibration and get louder at a certian rpm. dont hold this for too long as it can over heat a transmission quickly. this is also known as a break torque

Archived