LegacyGT.com

Got a ticket

jim malach

I was on rt.422 going towards pottstown and out of know where this local cop creeped up on me could not see because of the 5% tint on all windows so I pull over and he comes over and all the usually lic. ins. reg. and he asked me to roll up the window. So I do and he said you know that is illgeal right and I said yes so he wrote up two tickets one for the tint and the other for going 78mph in a 55 so I paid the tint ticket and when I went to see how he clocked my speed it had a little box and checked other. What the fuck does that mean? So I'm going to court for the speed ticket and was wondering if anyone knows what other ment or means any cops out there I could use some advise.:D

This is exactly what is wrong with the tinting business.

Cowboys who are supposed to be professional and know better installing illegal tints probably for cash money, no receipt and you sir are now the fall guy.

You must have known such a black film would attract cops and too dark so therefore I have no sympathy for you either.

Go back to the tinter and demand he pays your dark tint infringement fine. I bet he won't!

Tinting legally for 30 years,

Rob.

Thanks for the details Rob as Im sure that plenty of ppl in Melbourne would be very interested including myself once I get the newbie but thanks for posting the details UP. Rob, if you can post me the pics and i will put them up here including the M3Forum too if you like. Best of luck with the job, im sure it will come out PERFECT.

Ada///M.

Tint here in Australia is certainly something that is policed as well, maybe not all the time but I would say from time to time depending on where u are driving and how u are driving. There are particular hot spots/burbs around here and Im sure that Rob would agree.

Jim, I would SERIOUSLY take that ticket to the person/Co that did your tint and just produce the ticket. Its just not fair UNLESS you have asked for that tint and they did not give you any prior warning that it was Illegal. Rob might be able to give some further information on that, even though we are in Australia, Im sure the laws would be quite similar.

Ada///M.

I'll try an explain in simple terms what the tint number means.

A 5% solar control film relates to the percentage of actual visible light that transmits through that specified film.

In other words, it is a film that loses 95% of the light that would be normally transmitted through the window had it been clear glass.

Now it doesn't take rocket science to understand that that film has a dangerously low see through capability. That's why the owner got pinged!

In Australia, the 35% film all round is law, is more than acceptable for all driver age groups, looks good too and still provides excellent heat rejections.

Rob.

Compared to ther countries.. the USA can't be compared directly as there is no federal law regarding tinitng levels.

Each state sets its on levels.

Some states say 'anything goes"... some states say 15% all around.. OR if you leave your front windows clear, you can go as dark as you want al around.

google'ing will net you a page listing the levels in all states..

In pa, you can go much darker then NJ allows all around.. and the NJ cops would always give me grief... but since i was registered where it was legal... too bad for them.

Thanks for the breakdown ROB :thumbsup:

Thankfully here in Oz we are governed by the Federal Government on Road Rules, even though the states do have some control, most of the laws passed are done by the Federal.

Ada///M.

no I wanted 5% because in every car I owned I had 5% tint i"ll pay that ticket I don't want points for the speeding ticket that I got but I think I can just pay the fine and plead with the judge. And I never got a ticket for tint before. Even when I got caught speeding in my twin turbo z and I had double 5% tint on all windows.

...out of know where this local cop creeped up on me could not see because of the 5% tint on all windows...

So basicly you couldn't see the cop becasue your tint was too dark?

I'm just waiting for the next post.... I didn't see that person/car/animal/object cause my tint was too dark....

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

no I wanted 5% because in every car I owned I had 5% tint i"ll pay that ticket I don't want points for the speeding ticket that I got but I think I can just pay the fine and plead with the judge. And I never got a ticket for tint before. Even when I got caught speeding in my twin turbo z and I had double 5% tint on all windows.

Well if its anything like Illinois you have to prove that you fixed the tint to get the tint ticket cleared and if you havent had a ticket in the last year you can get court supervision so your insurance doesnt get borked.

But i'm sure its a bit different out there.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

PA loves Vascar lines :rolleyes: only State's can use radar

Not to get off track, but I believe on state or inter-state roads, locals are allowed to use radar. 422 is notorius for staties hiding around the curves out towards Royersford.

Not to get off track, but I believe on state or inter-state roads, locals are allowed to use radar. 422 is notorius for staties hiding around the curves out towards Royersford.

+1.

There are four spots that they love to park and wait for you on. Anyone that's doing 70+ going by those location is really rolling the dice. And if there's some mod on your car (including tint) that makes it really stand out, you just increased your chances of getting pulled over tenfold...

Well if its anything like Illinois you have to prove that you fixed the tint to get the tint ticket cleared and if you havent had a ticket in the last year you can get court supervision so your insurance doesnt get borked.

But i'm sure its a bit different out there.

That is how Ohio law is also... you get dinged, and have to have the car inspected at a state HP post to ensure that you remidied the problem.

Unless the laws have changes in the past 3 years (when I moved out of PA) only staties are alowed to use radar ever. Locals can use VASCAR or lazer lines.

I went to Royesford HS for a 2 years :p

Eidt: It was so long ago I forgot it was Spring-Ford :lol:

I'm not entirely sure how the laws are written. I only know from talking to a cop friend of mine that certain roads (RT 202 comes to mind) have variances allowing locals who share enforcement responsibility to use RADAR, but for all I know that's either a) no longer the case, or b) never was. I don't know. VASCAR is the worst anyway. Getting busted with dark tint only makes it worse.

Archived