LegacyGT.com

Got pulled over (not for speeding)

leftride

So the wife and I were heading up to RMNP to for a backpack trip on Saturday. We were heading up highway 7 towards Wild Basin and we passed a CHP, I was doing the speed limit at the time (because I was behind someone) and I didnt think anything of it. All of a sudden I see him flying up in my rear view...then the lights. My wife says, "what's going on, we weren't speeding".

Well, he pulled me over for not having a front plate and he also said the tint on my front driver and passenger windows were illegal (which they are). To top it all off, didn't have my insurance card :spin:

The guy was pretty nice about everything, gave me a written warning, wasn't an ass. I was just surprised he pulled me over for that. I have NEVER had a problem before. I was even pulled over a few months ago for doing well over the speed limit and the cop never said anything (about the tint or the plate)

Well insurance card is back in the car :) thinking about putting a plate on the front and not going to do a thing about the tint.

Just wanted to share my non-speeding pull over.

eh, when every other car in the same State or Province has the front plate on, it doesn't really matter... in fact, the ones who try and get away without no front plate can be seen a mile away. it loosk out of place. Cops see it too.

Are you going to put on the front plate and switch the tint out so you reduce / eliminate the future possibility of getting pulled over for such silly things?

plate: maybe

tint: no

this is the first problem I have had in over 2 years with no plate and the first problem I have had in over 4 years with tint, so at this point I'm not too worried.

I got pulled over the FIRST (1st) day I had my real plate (singular) on mine. I decided to put the rear plate on and leave the front on the workbench in the garage. Got stopped on I-70 out east for nothing but the front plate. Same thing, written warning, no other problems. Plates are now both secured and no more bothers..... yet ;)

CA cops are on a tint rampage because of the new hands free law. If they cant see on the phone how can they fine you. 4 guys at work got tickets for tint and had to remove it this month alone, and there are only 25 people hear and only 1/2 have tint.

I just got pulled over last monday for no front plate. Douglas county cops are GAY!!! He pulled out in front of me then changed lanes and slowed down for me to pass him, saw the real plate and on came the lights. The first thing I did was roll down all the windows, turn off the radio and pulled over. I pulled into the gas station on Sante Fe and C-470. Officer Ed Martinez was cool about it cause I told him I just got the car (5/08) and I had a front braket on order (I lied). He didn't say anything about the illegal tint or blacked out taillights, just that if he saw the car again he would give me a ticket. I rigged my front plate on with two suction cup plate holders I got from Checker and some wire. Needless to say, I need to find a more permanent solution.

Stupid cops!!!

I've been running with no front plate for over 3 years, got one ticket in that time right by my house for speeding, got the ticket dropped in court. But it was a hassel, lol I'm definitely getting my windshield replaced on saturday. Hearing about you guys getting the red flag has me a little paranoid.

When I bought my car last year I decided to skip the front plate. While driving the speed limit down from Leadville towards I-70 a CSP going the opposite direction quickly whipped around and followed me. He pulled me over for not having the front plate. Gave me a warning.

I will always keep my front plate on. It is not worth the extra visibility and attention from cops.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Exactly! I don't need to be drawing anymore attention to myself after having a beer or two at the bar and cruising home!! Not that I support driving drunk.

It's a scary thought that you live close enough to me that you might be on same road as me at the same time...

This thread makes me wonder why anyone would push the limits with anything as stupid as a 'grey area' missing front plate?

Why bother? It's a great reason for a cop to pull you over and find numerous other things wrong with the car.

Why test it?

(I learned this the hard way 10 years ago with a very illegal H-car going the speed limit in rush hour traffic. If it wasnt' for my good looks and charm, the cop would have thrown my car in the impound and written up 1000 bucks in illegal mod tickets:redface:)

Don't **** around with thngs that are grey area... they will bite you in the ass sooner or later. Not this year, or maybe even 3 years from now, but they will.... it's a matter of time. What if you are speeding and / or had a couple of beers at the time?

Yikes!

I totally agree that it is not worth the extra attention you are giving to yourself. My LGT and Tacoma both have front plates on them. My DSM however, does not. I am not willing to drill holes in my bumper or block any flow to my intercooler. I have been pulled over for it once in 7 years. I was not given any sort of warning about it, the officer said that a lot of "cars like this" are stolen and me not having a front plate gave him reason to pull me over to check my paperwork. Everything was of course legit and I was on my merry way....

So the wife and I were heading up to RMNP to for a backpack trip on Saturday. We were heading up highway 7 towards Wild Basin and we passed a CHP, I was doing the speed limit at the time (because I was behind someone) and I didnt think anything of it. All of a sudden I see him flying up in my rear view...then the lights. My wife says, "what's going on, we weren't speeding".

Well, he pulled me over for not having a front plate and he also said the tint on my front driver and passenger windows were illegal (which they are). To top it all off, didn't have my insurance card :spin:

The guy was pretty nice about everything, gave me a written warning, wasn't an ass. I was just surprised he pulled me over for that. I have NEVER had a problem before. I was even pulled over a few months ago for doing well over the speed limit and the cop never said anything (about the tint or the plate)

Well insurance card is back in the car :) thinking about putting a plate on the front and not going to do a thing about the tint.

Just wanted to share my non-speeding pull over.

This is the life that Virginia has to offer on a daily basis. ;)

This is the life that Virginia has to offer on a daily basis. ;)

I hear that VA is horrible when it comes to this. They don't mess with you doing 25+ over on the interstates in northern VA but god for bid you don't have a front plate.

Does anyone have a better way of mounting the front plate rather than screwing it directly to the bumper?

i wonder if that is any better than not having it?

my holes are already drilled. i have have them covered.

The dealer drilled mine out when I bought it. I wish I would have cought them before. oh well, guess i'll just move to NC... they only give you one plate!

I got pulled over in my XT6 once... was it 6 years ago now... I renewed my plates and put the plate on the front all hap hazardly and took it to court... DA told me to have a nice day. Now a days I've done this:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/kingbobdole/wag%20and%20ronis%20xt/100_1782.jpg

I just fold it to make it more... trim and clean and not block my air to water "intercooler" Got the idea after I plowed over a big mound of snow and bent the snot out of the poor thing...

Archived