LegacyGT.com

Got brakes?

crazytiger

Just finished upgrading my brakes. Here is the low-down:

- Installed Carbotech "Bobcat" pads - front and rear.

- Installed DBA slotted front rotors.

- Installed factory blank rear rotors.

- Installed G-Stop stainless steel lines - front and rear.

- Installed Motul racing fluid

All total, I have about $900 +/- invested in this set up. Not cheap, but all I can say is, WOW. I mean WOW! This is how the car should have stopped from the factory. (plus a little) I have never liked the "feel" of the factory brake set up. The new lines really give the proper pedal feel. It is "right there" and the first time I drove it, I was damn near stopping in the middle of the street before I even got to the light! No kidding, I have read mixed reviews of the steel lines on here, but I can tell you if you are considering spending the money on them, you will NOT be dissapointed. Of course, all the other components don't hurt either! :icon_bigg

900 better have included labor casue i got my brembos for not much more than that

The $900 includes (why am I bothering to itemize this stuff for you guys???)

- No labor. My brother and I did the work.

- $130 each for the slotted DBA fronts

- $90 each rear rotors (from the dealer)

- $169 for the steel lines

- $120 for Bobcat front

- $110 for Bobcat rear

- $30 worth of Motul fluid

(also had an aluminum pedal kit ($30) in the mix)

Total = $869

I will go ahead and tell you that I did not shop around on this project. Even if I had, I didn't miss the "el-cheap-o" mark by much, and ultimately, I don't mind helping my local speed shop guy out a little..... He has done MANY favors for me in the past.

The $900 includes (why am I bothering to itemize this stuff for you guys???)

- No labor. My brother and I did the work.

- $130 each for the slotted DBA fronts

- $90 each rear rotors (from the dealer)

- $169 for the steel lines

- $120 for Bobcat front

- $110 for Bobcat rear

- $30 worth of Motul fluid

(also had an aluminum pedal kit ($30) in the mix)

Total = $869

I will go ahead and tell you that I did not shop around on this project. Even if I had, I didn't miss the "el-cheap-o" mark by much, and ultimately, I don't mind helping my local speed shop guy out a little..... He has done MANY favors for me in the past.

i just figured you used your old rear brakes and had them turned. why did you buy new stock rotors old ones where shot? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

i just figured you used your old rear brakes and had them turned. why did you buy new stock rotors old ones where shot? bosco

I figured that if I was going to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars, why not do it right with all new components?

Also, one of the rear rotors was suspect. Had a lot of odd discoloration, and might have been a bad cast:icon_conf.

Has anyone here done just those lines (with everything else stock) or just those pads (again, with everything else stock) ?

I am wondering how much difference either one makes alone.

Thanks!

forums> suspensions and brakes> Sticky:brakes how to buy brake upgrades by Xenonk.... you will find you answer. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Your setup is almost Identical to mine, I have thought about going to Brembo's but the stopping power I have now is more than adequate.

I could always go with a even more aggressive pad but after repeated stops from 100 there is no fade @ all:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

crazytiger, put some nice struts and springs on the car to get rid of nose dive and you are in business.

That is definitely my next move. (Once I recover financially from the brake job!) I have not done a lot of searching yet for the best strut / spring combo, but maybe you guys could make a recommendation? This car is my company vehicle, and I have to take customers to lunch every now and then, so I have to be carefull not to get too "crazy" with my set up. Ideally, what I want is:

- Drop the ride height only slightly (mostly in the front)

- Stiffin this damn thing up! But don't compromise too much on ride quality.

- Weekend auto-x capabilities - with a track day thrown in once a year.

- Civility around town with customers in the car.

Also, I will look to do a rear sway bar also when I get this project rolling.

Where did you get the DBA? It's hard finding a vendor for those.

:attention:

LOL! I just noticed that emoticon :)

Brakepads will give you an amazing difference in feel... in order of least to most noticeable difference (for street compounds that we sell).

Hawk Performance Ceramic

Hawk HPS

Carbotech Bobcat

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Side note:

You got a helluva cool company car!

No doubt man! We get a car allowance which allows us to choose what we want to drive. My boss is kind of a "car guy", so he looked the other way when I told him that my new company car was a turbo 5-speed. :icon_bigg

Archived