LegacyGT.com

Good news, bad news (Subaru Customer Appreciation Night)

First, the good news: My GT wagon is on the board, which means a week to ten days from that point. The bad news: It's a week to ten days, a time that will be made to seem interminable by my experience in a base Outback and GT wagon. My dealer had a Customer Appreciation night like Sube's, and I got to experience both cars, and can honestly say that I won't have a single complaint once I get my P1s on the car. I was absolutely blown away, even by the base Outback. How Subaru managed to get that blend of compliance and handling grace is beyond me. I can tell you that I wouldn't want any stiffer springs. I can also tell you that I got in my WRX after the drives and said to myself "What a piece of crap." I had the opportunity to hammer some speed bumps in the Outback, as well as a 4" construction lip, and man, that car was awesome with the rough stuff. There was the initial impact that the car soaked up, then a bob, and you're done. No bouncing, no bobbling. The car took its set, and carved the line. And I kept thinking, "This is a base Outback?" The last Outback I drove, a 2000 model, was scary, handling-wise. I have a 33" sleeve length, and had no problems whatsoever reaching the track advance on the CD player, with my seat adjusted for my driving position (Skip Barber/Jackie Stewart sitting up straight, slight bend to the elbows, both hands on the wheel). As a matter of fact, all the switches fell easily to hand. Now that I have seen both the base car's HVAC controls and the auto setup in person, I'm really glad we're getting the auto setup on the base GT. Not only does it look a lot nicer in person, but the controls feel better...smoother and more positive. The Atlantic Blue is a lot nicer in person than it could ever, ever be in a picture. It's really a nice color, I have to admit. So...brakes were exceptional, with great feel and modulation, and I absolutely love the way the manual tranny feels. Throws are just right, and it fell quite naturally to hand. I think this depends upon whether you are a "shift from the knee, one hand on the wheel" or a "shift from the wheel, two hands on the wheel" driver. I am the latter, and with my right hand at 3 o'clock, the lever is exactly where you think it ought to be. You could almost shift blindfolded. Shifter feel is smooth and positive. I can see where some people would want a more mechanical feel, but don't mistake the stock box's smoothness for mushiness. Rowing up and down the gears and downshifting, etc. to beat the band, no worries, no problem. The throws are a good length, too, perfectly matched to the pace of the transmission. Everyone who says the GT is really quiet is right. But to me, it isn't too quiet, at all. It's perfect. I must say that the base wagons have a very nice engine note...very racy, with that guttural boxer snarl. The base car also has very good pickup and snap. Don't let the quiet fool you...you are going faster than you think. I drove the base OB and thought "Now, I'm getting almost 100 more hp, better brakes and suspension? What am I in for?" Now that I know, this week or so is going to seem REALLY long. I'm just floored by how nice these cars are. Anyone who hasn't experienced one in person, should. It's impossible to understand until you do. Kevin

I modified the name to reflect the post a bit more and for others to share their thoughts. Unfortunately, only one GT was available, a GT Limited sedan in the showroom, a few 2.5i's in wagon and sedan trim, and a few Outbacks in various trims. The only model I drove was an LL Bean as I wanted to see what all the hoot and hollar was concerning this engine. First off I want to say it was actually sort of nice. The local dealer is a Honda/Subaru dealership and I think this was their early closing night, they opened up the Subaru end to their customers to try anything and everything, they had all their dealer plates down there for trying new cars out. Was sort of nice, people could get into one, then another, whatever suited them. I was sort of disappointed though, everything was Auto's. :( They were going to pull the GT out of the showroom for me, except I wasn't interested in rowing a slushbox. I had a decent idea what the feel would be by having driven both FXT's and STi's prior to, so no real need. But I wanted to drive an H6 model to see what people were really talking about. So I sattled up with dear ol dad (they got invites too, so we all went down there.) Got going, went on some of the roads we use for testing and I'd say the OB handled fairly well, the car actually felt kinda small in handling terms if you ask me. It was fairly compliant for being an OB. The part I was diappointed with was the H6. I didn't want to take it up too high (still new), so I only took it to 4500-5000rpm maybe like twice, and it didn't feel any more uppety than my ol N/A 2.5L w/ 5MT. It felt sorta boring. I'm not feeling that midrange we're talking about. Then again, weight difference, manual vs auto, engine output are all factors. That engine in my current car w/ 5or6MT would probably feel a lot more peppy. Maybe I'm just getting used to boost now. :P So overall, it was a new dealership experience, I think it will help keep sales within Subaru with events like this. These new cars are rather nice. See, I knew the AB would be nice! You really have to see it in person to get to grips with it. I saw it in person one morning and I was like I HAVE to have tha color! One more thing I noticed about the GT, the stock 17" wheels on the GT Limited sedan in the showroom looked damn big actually. Maybe it's because there wasn't a ton of rubber. Nothing wrong with that though. :P Carry on, share your stories!

Great writeup... thanks. [quote name='gtguy']You could almost shift blindfolded.[/quote] Hmmm... that might be OK for shifting... what about steering? :lol: Should you put a "please don't try this at home" disclaimer on that? Just kidding. I understand what you mean... no hunting for the shifter when it's time to shift.

It's good to hear that you had such a good experience Kevin, but we all know that you are just a Subaru Fanboy! ;) :lol: Actually it's really reassuring that you enjoyed the car so much. I know that it's going to make my WRX feel really cheap, it's good to hear that. The only color that I have seen in person is the Regal Blue Pearl, but now that you mention it, I wish I had seen the Atlantic blue color in person as well. I am pretty sure that I will be happy with my choice though. what size are your P1's? Are you saying that you will be happier with the rims on there or the rubber that you are going to wrap them in? I am changing the tires on the car prior to taking delivery so I wanted to get a feel for what you are talking about.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']It's good to hear that you had such a good experience Kevin, but we all know that you are just a Subaru Fanboy! ;) :lol: Actually it's really reassuring that you enjoyed the car so much. I know that it's going to make my WRX feel really cheap, it's good to hear that. The only color that I have seen in person is the Regal Blue Pearl, but now that you mention it, I wish I had seen the Atlantic blue color in person as well. I am pretty sure that I will be happy with my choice though. what size are your P1's? Are you saying that you will be happier with the rims on there or the rubber that you are going to wrap them in? I am changing the tires on the car prior to taking delivery so I wanted to get a feel for what you are talking about.[/quote] The rubber, actually. The wheel/tire setup is the same as the OE size, but with a slight offset difference, at +53 vs +55, a negligible amount. But I like the Dunlop 9000s quite a lot, though I understand that its replacement is also quite impressive, as is the Goodyear Eagle F1, which in reviews demonstrates many of the same characteristics as the Dunlops, of quiet, excellent rain performance, a slight compromise in the dry that is only noticeable at the limit, and good tread wear. But my 9000s are new, so I have three or four years to grin with them. WRXTom, I actually drove the car with many of the quibbles in mind, to see if they would also be difficulties for me, and I didn't find them to be such. Perhaps this is, as Dr. Z says, because I am such a fanboy. :lol: I even like the shift knob which is good, because my favorite knob, the Momo Air Race Leather (or however those things line up) would be a stylistic incongruity in the Legacy's understated interior. Man, I can't wait...my dealer was impressed by my restraint. I didn't call him, or stop by, or say anything after my car was ordered. He, in fact, came running over to me last night to say "It's on the board!" Cool. Kevin

I was thinking about transferring my Momo shift know the same as you kevin. I had the exact same though. I don't want to boy-race the interior of the car at all. If anything I would get a nice undertated shift knob and leave the air-leather in my drawer. At some point I am going to put on a plus sized wheel and tire combo after I wear out my initial rubber (whatever it happens to be). Just to point out that this is ANOTHER time that you have seen the new GT and NOT taken any pictures. One more and I am going to have to give you the "virtual kick in the nutts" :lol:

New rubber is definitely the way to go to get the most out of the suspension. I hope I didn't give the impression that the stock suspension is poorly done. Given the USDM market requirements and where the car slots into the Subaru lineup, they have done a good job. My past comments have been related to my personal requirements for a higher level of performance even if means a somewhat firmer ride. But, the balance between NVH and performance needs to be well judged. For example, the STi suspension I had on the WRX would be too extreme for me on the GT. Depending on the suspension options available, the best option might be to do nothing. Tom

Honelty, I am looking forward to a smooth-ride, blended with superb handling. I don't want to underestimate how important a smooth ride it. Some day's I want to drive something that feels and handles like a tarmac terror, and other days I want somthing that feels like it can absorb the bumps and not transmit every blip in the road to my backside. I think I am a tough one to please :lol:

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Honelty, I am looking forward to a smooth-ride, blended with superb handling. I don't want to underestimate how important a smooth ride it. Some day's I want to drive something that feels and handles like a tarmac terror, and other days I want somthing that feels like it can absorb the bumps and not transmit every blip in the road to my backside. I think I am a tough one to please :lol:[/quote] Are you a woman?

No I am not a woman... and if I was, I still wouldn't date you so STOP PMing ME ABOUT IT! :P :lol: :P :lol: There is nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds. Maybe I should buy a lincoln continental, and a lotus elise.. :lol::lol: Actually I would never want anything that "floats" but a well built car doesn't have to float to absorb the winter heaving of the craptastic wisconsin roadways.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']No I am not a woman... and if I was, I still wouldn't date you so STOP PMing ME ABOUT IT! :P :lol: :P :lol: There is nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds. Maybe I should buy a lincoln continental, and a lotus elise.. :lol::lol: Actually I would never want anything that "floats" but a well built car doesn't have to float to absorb the winter heaving of the craptastic wisconsin roadways.[/quote] Geez. One PM and you blew up like [i]this[/i]. At least let me down gently, not to mention privately. :oops:

Sorry, I thought it was my duty to let the world know that you are officially out of the closet! :lol::lol::lol::lol: too funny, but maybe we should get back on topic and not clutter kevin's thread. That's funny stuff though. :D

[quote name='goneskiian']You two cr@ck me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote] lol. I went to the same dealership as Seth but I didn't drive any of them. I did look at the trunk more closely than before, though. The regal blue on a Limited Sedan was a very nice color. I can see why Dr. Zevil likes it so much. But I'm still happy I'm getting red, and they didn't have any red ones.

I don't think the Momo air knob would be a clash, because the Accord 6 speed has a similar interior with a knob that looks almost the same. [img]http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/images/03accord6spd_2.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/ly/images/03accord6spd_4.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...
If those Goodyears are by any chance made in Japan- then they are the exact same thing as the Dunlops... both companies have a cross-marketing agreement where Goodyear makes Dunlops in the U.S and Dunlop makes Goodyears in Japan. [quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']It's good to hear that you had such a good experience Kevin, but we all know that you are just a Subaru Fanboy! ;) :lol: Actually it's really reassuring that you enjoyed the car so much. I know that it's going to make my WRX feel really cheap, it's good to hear that. The only color that I have seen in person is the Regal Blue Pearl, but now that you mention it, I wish I had seen the Atlantic blue color in person as well. I am pretty sure that I will be happy with my choice though. what size are your P1's? Are you saying that you will be happier with the rims on there or the rubber that you are going to wrap them in? I am changing the tires on the car prior to taking delivery so I wanted to get a feel for what you are talking about.[/quote] The rubber, actually. The wheel/tire setup is the same as the OE size, but with a slight offset difference, at +53 vs +55, a negligible amount. But I like the Dunlop 9000s quite a lot, though I understand that its replacement is also quite impressive, as is the Goodyear Eagle F1, which in reviews demonstrates many of the same characteristics as the Dunlops, of quiet, excellent rain performance, a slight compromise in the dry that is only noticeable at the limit, and good tread wear. But my 9000s are new, so I have three or four years to grin with them. WRXTom, I actually drove the car with many of the quibbles in mind, to see if they would also be difficulties for me, and I didn't find them to be such. Perhaps this is, as Dr. Z says, because I am such a fanboy. :lol: I even like the shift knob which is good, because my favorite knob, the Momo Air Race Leather (or however those things line up) would be a stylistic incongruity in the Legacy's understated interior. Man, I can't wait...my dealer was impressed by my restraint. I didn't call him, or stop by, or say anything after my car was ordered. He, in fact, came running over to me last night to say "It's on the board!" Cool. Kevin[/quote]

[quote name='gtguy']Uh, wait a minute...I do have one complaint. The horns are wimpy. Looks like I'll have to drop by with a set of Hella Twin SuperTones to be installed. :lol: Kevin[/quote] That's what I was thinking, but then I accidently pressed horn in garage with cracked window... :lol:

[quote name='dimil'][quote name='gtguy']Uh, wait a minute...I do have one complaint. The horns are wimpy. Looks like I'll have to drop by with a set of Hella Twin SuperTones to be installed. :lol: Kevin[/quote] That's what I was thinking, but then I accidently pressed horn in garage with cracked window... :lol:[/quote] Hey dimil, are you saying that they're louder than you realize from inside the car, because it's so quiet? Kevin

Archived