LegacyGT.com

Going from WRX to new Legacy

Flat_4

In the spring i am looking at selling my 2003 WRX and getting a 2010 or 2011 Legacy GT (cant give up the turbo). So I have a few questions that I cant seem to find to easy.

#1 Is the 6 speed transmission the same as the STI? (ratios and strength)

#2 How much bigger is the Legacy?

#3 What kind of performance mods do they offer for the Legacy? ( I assume the same things as my WRX exhaust, turbo, intercooler, ect...)

Thanks.

1. Transmission is basically a 5-speed with an extra gear. As far as I know, no one has broken one yet (someone going stage 2 killed their clutch though).

2. Legacy is a lot more roomy. I'm just over 6' tall and I can set the driver seat to be comfy, then hop in the back seat and not feel cramped.

3. Acessport/other tuners, exhaust from AVO and Invidia and suspension bits from a few people.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

You will love the Legacy GT models.

You will get an A+ deal on the 2010 legacy.

The only main difference is that the 2011 Legacy GT comes only in limited and if you were to get a dark color the interior would also be dark.

Oh and also the folding mirrors..

The car is big, you will like it.

If you are getting the legacy get an accessport like Mike said.

Don't get the nav....it sucks.

Here's a side by side of the 05-09 legacy next to a '10. And remember, the 05 legacy is larger than the WRX. :lol:

Pic borrowed from scoobiedoobie. Thanks.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/6578/subie.jpg

Here's a side by side of the 05-09 legacy next to a '10. And remember, the 05 legacy is larger than the WRX. :lol:

And that, in short, is why Subaru never could sell the Gen4 Legacy. It's only slightly bigger than a Honda Civic.

Check out the latest Road And Track article here:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/updates/2010-subaru-legacy-2.5gt-limited

The quote to live by is, "The 2010 Legacy is longer (1.4 in.), taller (3.2 in.) and wider (3.6 in.). It’s also about 100 lb. heavier, but that’s okay because it corners harder, stops quicker and generally would drive circles around the old car, unless it was that past generation’s spec.B model. We hope there’s another one coming."

Pete

In the spring i am looking at selling my 2003 WRX and getting a 2010 or 2011 Legacy GT (cant give up the turbo). So I have a few questions that I cant seem to find to easy.

#1 Is the 6 speed transmission the same as the STI? (ratios and strength)

#3 What kind of performance mods do they offer for the Legacy? ( I assume the same things as my WRX exhaust, turbo, intercooler, ect...)

Thanks.

The answer to your size question will surprise you.

Your car has 88 cubic feet (a bit less if you have a moonroof).

The Gen 4 Legacy GT (2005 to 2009) has 93.5 without moonroof and 90.9 with.

The current model of Legacy GT has 103 cubic feet without moonroof (2010 only) and 100 with.

Compared to the aforementioned Honda, a current model civic has 90.9 cubic feet without moonroof and 88.4 with.

An Accord comes in at 106 and 101 respectively.

It was the size that doomed the Gen 4 car and what led Subaru to enlarge it, though it's still marginally smaller than an Accord.

If you're looking for a vote, I love mine.

Pete

Awesome that is what i wanted to hear.:spin: I love Subaru's and I real like the power of my WRX. But it barely fit my sons car seat in the back and now with #2 on the way I am going to need something bigger and was looking at the Acorn. Now i am convinced the LGT would be for me.

I found that the transmission has the first through four gear ratios the same as the STI, with fith and sixth better for fuel economy. I still want to know if it as strong as the STI's. I am putting down 250whp in my WRX and the only reason i don't want to put the money in to my car and make it more power, is the week transmission.

Awesome that is what i wanted to hear.:spin: I love Subaru's and I real like the power of my WRX. But it barely fit my sons car seat in the back and now with #2 on the way I am going to need something bigger and was looking at the Acorn. Now i am convinced the LGT would be for me.

I found that the transmission has the first through four gear ratios the same as the STI, with fith and sixth better for fuel economy. I still want to know if it as strong as the STI's. I am putting down 250whp in my WRX and the only reason i don't want to put the money in to my car and make it more power, is the week transmission.

The tranny will be stronger than your 2003 WRX but not as strong as the STI. As an old racer (started about 1987 anyway) I live by the rule of thumb that says virtually every car can be rodded to the tune of a 20% increase in power. That means you can safely kick the HP up to about 315 and still expect to enjoy descent reliability. That should leave you plenty of room even up into Stage 2.

This info came to me by way of a friend/mentor who was a fellow racer and retired automotive engineer who had retired to Florida where I grew up. If you want to hit 350 and up you should consider transplanting in an STI Tranny.

The shifter is different too, being a cable shifter rather than the solid linkage that rows the STI gears.

Pete

coming from an '05 Impreza RS, an '08 Legacy GT was a HUGE step up IMO. Great ride more room, but still nothing for back seat passengers. IMO I like the look of the 5th Gen Legacies and if I were in the market would def not shy away. As for mods, it's a Subaru, modding is what makes a Subaru, a Subaru ;)

No problem, That's when the car was at stock ride height as well.

I'm 6'6 and I can sit behind my seat in the Legacy. The rear legroom is nothing short of spectacular. I still put my knees firmly into the dash on most cars so to have this amount of legroom front and back is pretty surprising.

I feel your tall pain. I will say that my head hits the roof in the back seat as yours might too. But then we're a little unusual. I just get the feeling that the Subaru engineers were thinking of us when they designed the new Legacy, though my wife is just fine driving it at 5-5.

Pete

Yeah, I'm a tad bit scrunched back there. Still, it's amazing to have the amount of headroom and legroom up front. I don't feel like I'm going to lose my right leg in accident from my knee colliding into the center console any more.

Yeah, I'm a tad bit scrunched back there. Still, it's amazing to have the amount of headroom and legroom up front. I don't feel like I'm going to lose my right leg in accident from my knee colliding into the center console any more.

I've lived with that fear since I first started driving waaaaaay back in 1982 (geez).

At 6-6, what's your inseam and shoe size?

I'm 6-11 but my inseam is only 37 inches meaning I've got a lot going up to touch the roof. There's NO WAY I can drive this car with a moonroof. When I first test drove a GT, they didn't have any without one so I went merrily along with my head firmly scrunched into the moonroof mechanism. My dealer found a grand total of TWO GTs without a moonroof within 200 miles of Los Angeles. I bought the Silver one because it was a Premium and I like Silver.

My future problem is that unless Subaru changes their mind, I'm not going to be able to purchase another one of these cars. The 2011 GT is moonroof only. I emailed Subaru asking if I could special order one without it but didn't get a response. Looks like I'm going to have to make this one last.

Come to think of it, after this thing is paid off I could just buy something boring and rod the hell out of the Legacy. Heh heh heh heh (diabolical laugh).

Pete

So would it be worth buying a new LGT at $30,000+ Or buy a used L2.5i and do a STI swap:icon_ques I would be keeping my car as a toy and do the swap to it but my wife doesn't want us to have three cars and it has over 100k on it.

The thing is I really want an STI but i know its to small so if i get the LGT it would have to be faster than an STI. I have to be faster than my friends HE HE HE.:lol: I would want 300+whp.

I am not that tall (5'10") so my big thing is i have a baby on the way #2. and i cant fit a baby seat behind my seat in my WRX and i dont want one behind my passanger because they would have no room. any body have 2 baby seats in the back?

The quote to live by is, "The 2010 Legacy is longer (1.4 in.), taller (3.2 in.) and wider (3.6 in.). It’s also about 100 lb. heavier, but that’s okay because it corners harder, stops quicker and generally would drive circles around the old car, unless it was that past generation’s spec.B model. We hope there’s another one coming."

Pete

Phew! That was a close one.... :rolleyes::lol:

I am not that tall (5'10") so my big thing is i have a baby on the way #2. and i cant fit a baby seat behind my seat in my WRX and i dont want one behind my passanger because they would have no room. any body have 2 baby seats in the back?

Should be a non-issue in a 2010+ unless you drive with the seat waaay back.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Should be a non-issue in a 2010+ unless you drive with the seat waaay back.

Even then it's no problem. I have no choice but to drive with the seat all the way back and my 7 year old can still sit comfortably behind me in her booster seat.

And to answer Flat_4s question, I've had THREE child seats in the Legacy's back seat. I prefer to use our Pilot for stuff like that but I didn't have any problem doing it.

Pete

Pete

That's the quote to live by? Yeah the 10 is a lot bigger, but the performance stuff is BS. OEM tires on the 10 are RE050 summers. OEM tires on 05-09 were RE92 AS. Thats comparing a good summer tire to one of the worst All-Season tires of all time. Good job article writer.

That's the quote to live by? Yeah the 10 is a lot bigger, but the performance stuff is BS. OEM tires on the 10 are RE050 summers. OEM tires on 05-09 were RE92 AS. Thats comparing a good summer tire to one of the worst All-Season tires of all time. Good job article writer.

The Spec B (at least for 2009) used summer performance tires. And frankly, that car performed only marginally better than a 2010 LGT. And even then it wasn't better in every category.

Archived