LegacyGT.com

Going on vaca to baltimore have ??'s

2fst4u

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lots down on the water around the Inner Harbor (like Phillips). A bunch more up in Canton. B'more is a thug town....be careful about where you go...not all neighborhoods are smart, as in most big cities.

What place are you staying? We spent the last 2 years at the Pier 5. It was great. Phillips a real good to eat at. We didn't get to try that place in the middle of the harbor, but I heard it's good. Just get ready for panhandlers, their everywhere. This was a veiw from our room

666733180_CopyofPICT0001.JPG.542af2825788dc71410482e0bc22250c.JPG

1764074622_CopyofPICT0005.JPG.09205c9c8e81df42bc80d2ba0a116723.JPG

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

^ I'd second Keefe's recommendation - go "out" of downtown if you want good, "authentic B'almer" seafood at a good price (one exception is Lexington Market [which is not on the waterfront]...the "travel books" should guide you to this [see below]). You might want to hit up your local bookstores and see if you can't either buy or copy-down some info. from one of those nifty "tourist books." :) They should be great guides to eateries in the suburbs.

The one good thing about downtown Baltimore is that it's relatively traffic-accessible, and that it really doesn't suffer from big-city traffic. You can easily get out to the suburbs in a reasonable amount of time.

If you don't have time to get away from the harborfront, Phillips is decent, but you'll pay dearly for it as it's more or less just a tourist-trap.

If km850 is talking about "The Rusty Scupper" (I believe that's the name?), it offers great atmosphere and the food is definitely better than decent. But again, you'll pay for it as it is waterfront, and still within the tourist-trap boundaries.

Little Italy is very close to the harborfront, and offers a wide selection to fit anyone's budget. I'd highly recommend picking out a couple of places there to try, based on your "scouting" of the travel books. ;) Whatever you do, save space in your tummy for Vaccaro's (short walk from any of the Little Italy eateries) - the Colosseos (waffles with toppings) are to die for.

----

Background: Spent my childhood eating fresh seafood from Lexington Market and all the suburban eateries. Spent a good deal of time in college eating in Little Italy/downtown. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

not in B'more, but a side trip to Annapolis is worth it too.....if you go, make sure to hit Pusser's...excellent food and the rum is good too ;) The only one in the US now....used to be one in Wilmington, NC awhile back.

http://pussers.com/images/right_bottle.jpg

Here's a funny Bal'mur story.

So a bunch of friends and myself decided to have a night out at the Inner Harbor. We're at some restaurant sitting on the patio, drinking and having dinner. There's about 15-20 of us having a good time. Drink, drink, drink, eat, eat, eat, and then all of a sudden BAM! Something strikes me in the shoulder and my WHITE polo is wet with some brown liquid. Next thing I know, about half the table (including myself) is up, over the fence, and chasing after a few Bal'mur hooligans who had just thrown a water bottle full of dip spit at me. We chase about 6 kids through the subway station and out the other side. My more athletic friend Andy catches up with one and get a hold of him. I catch up all furious and ready to beat some 15 year old ass when he starts crying, "It was Andre who did it!" A few of his friends return probably to beg (Andre no where to be found) for his life when 2 of "Bal'mur's finest" arrive and start questioning the kids. They put them in the backs of the cruisers and took them home. So I'm standing there red faced and wet with some brown goo.

Moral of the story? Bal'mur is a shithole. Don't wear white and bring an extra shirt. ESPN zone is fun though.

I am going to Baltimore Oct. 13th. My wife has a conference there and I am going with her. We are leaving the weekend prior, and the conference is the following week.

I have family in Leesburg, so we are going to visit them over the weekend, then visit Baltimore during the week. Anyone want to show me around during the week while my wife is at the conference!!!????

I cannot wait to see my sister's new house in Leesburg... as you probably know Dan.... they can get big :icon_bigg. When the townhouse sells for $400k+, I cannot imagine what their house cost them. $800k ?

So what is there to see in Baltimore that I would like?

The Aquarium downtown is a must see/go.

Like trains? B&O railroad museum,very nice.

Obviously the Inner Harbor.

If season permits,,Orioles game,Camden Yards.

Maryland Science Center ,Imax etc.

Raven tickets can be tough to get.Scalpers maybe :icon_wink

Like others have said,,If you want good seafood go outside the city abit.Phillips,Rusty Scupper etc are fr the tourists,overpriced and not that good.

In town,,Beef=The Prime Rib=pricey but well worth it.

Italian=Little Italy=most restaurants there are very good.

Spanish=Tio Pepe's

Bar hopping/bar food=Canton or Federal Hill areas of the city.

Great seafood/raw bar ,market atmosphere,=Lexington Market

And again,like others have said,Baltimore has all the big city woes,drugs,thugs and crime.Certain areas are a no go zone,but it can be very easy fr the uniniciated<sp:confused: to wonder into them inadvertantly .

If the place/area your in doesn't feel right it probably isn't.:icon_wink

im staying at the baltimore marriot inner harbor at camden yards ill look that place up xenonk

at the inner harbor has a lot of the chain places like Cheesecake Factory, hooters, planet hollywood, etc.. but to set things apart would be going to the smaller restaurants.. I dont know many GOOD places within walking distance of your hotel, and I venture out to the "Inner Horror" often.

Here's the place I reccommend (about 20 mins from your hotel), crab cakes are the best! They have HUGE chunks of meat, not just out of some silly minced can:

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/graphics/img_main.jpg

Keefe

Entertaining, but not a lot of menu options, but close to your hotel...

Hard Rock Cafe or ESPN Zone

In your area, but may have to cab it.

Steak: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (never been, heard it's real good $$-$$$)

Greek: The Black Olive...near Fells Point (very good!, but $$$)

Seafood: John Stevens...in Fells Point (very good! $$)

Italian: Velleggia's...Little Italy ($$)

Tex Mex: Austin Grill in Canton (me likey...$-$$)

Mexican...American:Nacho Mama's....in Canton. Great pub fare. ($-$$)

Check this out...

http://cityguide.aol.com/baltimore/dining/

I am going to Baltimore Oct. 13th. My wife has a conference there and I am going with her. We are leaving the weekend prior, and the conference is the following week.

I have family in Leesburg, so we are going to visit them over the weekend, then visit Baltimore during the week. Anyone want to show me around during the week while my wife is at the conference!!!????

I cannot wait to see my sister's new house in Leesburg... as you probably know Dan.... they can get big :icon_bigg. When the townhouse sells for $400k+, I cannot imagine what their house cost them. $800k ?

Racing season is over by then (well almost), so just give me a PM, Im sure Kelly and I are free to hang out a bit during then.. oh yea, Oct 14 and 15 I will be at Summit Point for the NASA track day hosted with Mach V. So if you like a nice tour around the track in the morning in my GT, that would be something to do before you leave to head home? Summit Point is only about 45 mins to 1 hour from Leesburg if that. I dont know what your schedule is, but Im sure we can work something out if you want to check out some car stuff to do during the stay down here.

$800k is like a $200k house out where you would probably see anywhere else in the USA.. I know a $1.5 million house out here is something like a $400,000 estates in PA... it's the land you pay for, the house is nice, but not all that huge. Heck, the house I live in is just $650,000, and it's typical 2-level rancher. Land is expensive here, the house isn't much compared to the land.

Keefe

I will be there until the 17th. I will be in Leesburg the night of the 13th, and until Sunday evening. Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I will be in Baltimore.

Xenonk - thanks for the offer man!!! I have never been on a track, especially with a good driver. I could use some launching tips for SURE. I can't launch consistently.

I think my sister's house is going to be nice. 3,500 to 4,000 sq feet. They have a foyer to their bedroom, which contains a glass fireplace that can be viewed from 4 sides. Dope. I can't wait to see it. They are closing on it soon, even though they are still trying to sell their townhouse. I guess the market dropped....

damn I just realized this thread is kinda jacked... I will PM you on Monday and Tuesday activites if you are available. Well... Sunday afternoon I should be available too.

Entertaining, but not a lot of menu options, but close to your hotel...

ESPN Zone

^ +1 if you don't have one of these where you're from, it's fun. :)

Steak: Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (never been, heard it's real good $$-$$$)

^ These are all over the place on the east-coast as well as in the majority of the larger mid-western cities. Good no matter where you go. Quality of the meal will be better-than-average, but it's on the pricy side.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

my bro just bought a place out here on an acre of land...he won't tell me the address or what it costs. Brand new house....I'm guessing close to $1M. Nucking futs man... :lol:

Ruth Chris Steak House

^ These are all over the place on the east-coast as well as in the majority of the larger mid-western cities. Good no matter where you go. Quality of the meal will be better-than-average, but it's on the pricy side.

Agreed,,IMHO they are alot on the pricey side,but then again I think I can cook a fine piece of prime beef better then anyone and ALOT cheaper too:lol:

thank you for the replys i am deffinatley going to go to that G&M seafood place xenonk i will tell u how i like it.

i already have orioles tickets and will try to get to espn zone sadly they dont have one in philly but we do have a dave and busters similar???

similar.. more sports oriented of course. Power Plant Live! has as ruths chris steak house, and the night-life scene. Bay Cafe in Canton has good food and drink. If you're at the Marriott, the harbor is a walk/block away and you can spend a week eating at all the difference places there. It's expensive but the Queen Mary (i think that's it) is a charter boat that goes out on the chesapeake and dinner/etc. It'll be docked at the harbor.

Have fun!

-Rob

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Archived