LegacyGT.com

Go Used or New 2018 3.6r

After test driving multiple cars I’ve settled on a 2018 3.6r just waiting for the best deal.

Wanted to get your guys thoughts on if it’s better to go brand new 2018 say around August September to get a deal when the 2019s will be coming out or just go 1 year Used around then 2018.

I’m trying to get one for just under 30k. Also when do the 2019s come out and are people anticipating any big changes to them?

I paid about 31k for my car before taxes.

So getting it new under 30k around August should be realistic.

Keep in mind that most of the cars left will be 2.5is left since Subaru dealerships don’t stock many of the 3.6Rs. So it’s important that you don’t wait until the last moment. I’d go for the 2018 models when dealers start getting the 2019 models on the lot.

I bought my 17 roughly this time of year and they had a few 18s just coming in. Above post about availability is correct as there were only two 17 3.6 Limiteds on the lot. Paid 25 w/ 0%.Plus got some "stuff" thrown in. It was too good to pass up.

I bought my 17 roughly this time of year and they had a few 18s just coming in. Above post about availability is correct as there were only two 17 3.6 Limiteds on the lot. Paid 25 w/ 0%.Plus got some "stuff" thrown in. It was too good to pass up.

Man what a deal you found, yeah hoping I can get sub 30 new once the 19s start rolling in. May be hard to find in the north east potentially.

Man what a deal you found, yeah hoping I can get sub 30 new once the 19s start rolling in. May be hard to find in the north east potentially.

It was a good deal. Took me a week to finalize but he started at 5k off 31k sticker. Sales guy mentioned that (here in Colorado) they can't keep WRXs or Outbacks in stock, but Legacy's sit. I had a ES350 for only about a year, they kept throwing in stuff and gave me good $ on the ES etc. and now, I like it more than the ES. Glad I did it... Subaru is a very popular brand down here. However I'm off the roads today - It's 4/20!!!

As a 2018 owner I'm glad I didn't buy one any older. They aren't bad cars but I like the features of the 2018, such as the better head unit. Just depends on what's important to you. Also, since I keep my cars a long time I decided it was worth the peace of mind to buy new and treat it right straight off the lot.

Subaru's hold their value well so the first year drop isn't as bad as many others.

I'm planning on doing a factory order for a 2019 3.6 (Outback probably, but not definitely, not sure the Leg is big enough for me.), as I expect the 3.6 to be phased out at the end of the year. Probably will put the order in around January-February 2019.

Yeah I don't know about specific options, but I think I was looking somewhere around $33,000 MSRP in NJ for a Legacy 3.6, which included remote start and eyesight and a few other things.

I was comfortable with that price. For me it was about the flexibility of 0% for 60-63 months that I care more about than haggling over a few hundred on the purchase price. I think I'm expecting to spend another $3-4000 if I went with Outback again.

Guessing trunk space and ground clearance?

(Just had a 2018 Outback as a loaner). Fun car and "feels" slimmer. (Front hood is higher and 1" narrower. Unsure about the Legacy).

I'm planning on doing a factory order for a 2019 3.6 (Outback probably, but not definitely, not sure the Leg is big enough for me.), as I expect the 3.6 to be phased out at the end of the year. Probably will put the order in around January-February 2019.

Yeah I don't know about specific options, but I think I was looking somewhere around $33,000 MSRP in NJ for a Legacy 3.6, which included remote start and eyesight and a few other things.

I was comfortable with that price. For me it was about the flexibility of 0% for 60-63 months that I care more about than haggling over a few hundred on the purchase price. I think I'm expecting to spend another $3-4000 if I went with Outback again.

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

I don't know if you are going to be able to find one late this summer. here in Wisconsin I had to order mine unless you are okay with a Black with Ivory interior. I was able to get 11% discount of MSRP for a loaded 3.6R. I think once the Ascent is in full production finding a Legacy 3.6R will be a challenge.

Guessing trunk space and ground clearance?

(Just had a 2018 Outback as a loaner). Fun car and "feels" slimmer. (Front hood is higher and 1" narrower. Unsure about the Legacy).

The rear seats have an extra 2" of headroom. I felt a little on the uncomfortable size at 6'0". Other than that, everything else was great (hip room, shoulder room, etc.)

It's just a question of whether or not I want to have a car that possibly is too tight for people to sit in the back of. Just not sure.

Yes, ground clearance is slightly less than Outback, but I don't know when exactly you'd be able to get stuck in a Legacy but the conditions aren't so bad that your Outback also gets stuck. It'd be a very thin line, I think.

Plus, a lower CG in the Legacy typically means it is more agile. I also believe the steering is more agile in the Legacy, taking fewer turns-to-lock compared to Outback.

The tires are slightly different too. The sidewall ratio is smaller in the Legacy, which makes the Outback tires slightly more robust when encountering a pothole.

Why not CPO? :confused: Same thing as new but cheaper with a better warranty?

Here is why:

I paid (leased) 28K for my custom ordered 2015 3.6R built to my specs.

I traded the car with 23K miles and dealer CPOed the car and put a price tag on it for $27K and sold it for $26K.

I did bunch of mods (mainly cosmetic) and some other electrical stuff to the car when I owned it and returned it back to bone stock before trading it in. The new owner of course will have no idea.

To me knowing the car's history from day 1 is worth extra $2K, minus the 23K miles.

You just need to be a good negotiator when buying it new. I believe my cars original MSRP was around $32K and it was one of the very 1st 6th gens delivered at the time and I watched it come off the truck.

:lol: So you're the guy screwing everyone else over? Got it! :eek:

Not sure what you mean. I am not the one that CPOed the car and as you stated someone "saved" some money and got a "better" warranty, so there you go.

I did bunch of mods (mainly cosmetic) and some other electrical stuff to the car when I owned it and returned it back to bone stock before trading it in. The new owner of course will have no idea.

This doesn't seem like the origin to your original concern about CPO? That's like saying "I wish they would stop letting second hand smoke affect people" while blowing cigarette smoke into the faces of those people you're complaining to. :lol: You've created the concerns that you're stating you're concerned about. This is amazing! :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

This doesn't seem like the origin to your original concern about CPO? That's like saying "I wish they would stop letting second hand smoke affect people" while blowing cigarette smoke into the faces of those people you're complaining to. :lol: You've created the concerns that you're stating you're concerned about. This is amazing! :D

My point is I would pay a little more to buy new vs used. You asked why I would not buy a CPOed car and I answered your question. You seem to think CPO is "same thing as new" I will just leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Yes, your reasoning being that you abuse and lie about the cars state and thus are concerned about the value of CPO vs New due to your own inconsiderate actions. :D I will just leave it at that! :lol:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Don't put words into my mouth....

Dealer where it has been serviced (meticulously mind you) with all of its mods is the one who asked to take the car in, heck I was not even considering selling it to them as I had people lined up.

Sorry, may be, you can not afford new cars and seems like CPO "something as new" is a good fit for you. Its all good.

Oh and yes, I am the only one who "mods" a car and returns it back to stock before turning it in. Wake UP!

Archived