LegacyGT.com

Gimmick Motorsports turbo inlet

holdenspecb

• 2 months later...

My GMS inlet review -

Installation

I installed mine at my friends shop last night. I would consider it a pretty difficult install. I was ready to give up but my friend Barrett at AllWheelsDriven made it work. We had to remove the bolts from my TGV housings to loosen the intake to get it to go on. We also lubed the crap out of it and it took 3 sets of hands to get it on the turbo. Me pushing on the intake end, Barrett working a pick at the turbo end, and another guy with a long screwdriver prying the turbo end of the inlet toward the passenger side. Like someone said earlier in the thread, a little jog at the turbo end of the inlet (ala Samco) would make install much easier.

I popped the metal collar out of the end of the stock inlet and put it in the inlet side of the coupler between the inlet and intake so I could clamp the GMS onto the coupler. Wasn't expecting to have to do that but it worked fine.

FWIW, Barrett said the install would be easier with a stock turbo. My 18g has a longer inlet area that has a small lip on the end. He thinks that's part of the reason why it was such a bear to slide it on.

In the end it took 4 hours + for the install.

Aftermath

This inlet isn't working out on my car. And neither the vendor or GMS will do anything about it.

This is what I found when I went to show the inlet to a friend the day after the 4 hour + installation struggle (which included unbolting my intake, and 3 sets of hands to get it into place).

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_2933.jpg

Now look at how the inlet fits on the opposite (drivers) side of the turbo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/large/IMG_2937.jpg

Notice how it's as far as it can go onto the turbo? Sure seems like if the inlet had the jog to the passenger side at the turbo end like the Perrin and Samco do, it would fit my car properly.

GMS claims it's because my car doesn't have a stock turbo (although he won't communicate with me). Strange that my turbo is a stock location turbo that worked with a stock location TMIC. Strange that my OEM inlet hose fit on this turbo. Very strange indeed.

I feel like I am being left high and dry in this situation.

Josh says that he's not the manufacturer so it's not his problem. And he doesn't accept returns on used products. He referred me to Nino at GMS. Nino has received my emails and a voice mail, and hasn't responded. Not that it really matters because I get the feeling he isn't going to help me either.

These are the same issues with most cheaper inlets. The real trick is removing the manifold for install. Then they work fine. If you took four hours fighting the darn thing you could have had the manifold off and back on in the same time.

Any comment on how their fitment is with an sti style turbo v.s. these issues being had with the stock location type? My manifold will undoubtedly be off for the install as well.

Sprank we've got the same turbo, any opinion on the fitment of this gms unit through the grapevine? (although I know you've got the solid AP)

For that matter, anyone else have an opinion on this inlet combined with a 68hta?

Have not heard, sorry.

As with any inlet and aftermarket turbo I am sure there are some issues.

My turbo inlet is too close to the TGV's (like many I know). In order to stop the inlet tube coupler from being crushed out of round by the TGV's I had to grind one of the bolt holes quiet a bit and force the TGV to the fender side as hard as possible.

You may find the same issue. ClimberD and LBGT did.

My APS hard inlet uses a short silicone section to mate up to the turbo, so that it can be used with regular 2.4" and oversized 3" turbo compressor inlets. The silicone part has a "jog" in it, similar to the Samco in mattg's post.

I'd expect the Gimmick part to be a real pain to install because of the lack of a "jog" to mate up with the turbo.

jog.jpg.050cb6f5cd8dfbb8b0967eb4798c59f7.jpg

even with the "jog" my silicone adapter was crushed against the TGV's. It is the turbo not the inlet. This is the problem for aftermarket manufacturers. Every turbo and car are a little different.

In the end I don't think this part would be much harder than any of the others. Like I said previously with the manifold off you have lots of space to work with to make things align better. I know they say it can be done with the manifold on but...

It was a tight fit against the TGVs with the APS too, but at least the inlet wasn't shaped as if the designer thought could continue straight through the middle of the TGV housing. :)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/ATP3076/TgvFitment1.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z151/Legacy_NSFW/ATP3076/TgvFitment2.jpg

I'd hate to fight with something that didn't have that "jog."

I agree. Mine looked similar and I ground off the outer edge of the bolt hole at your clamp.

But since the GMS and others like it are silicone all the way IMHO (and experience) they are more easily manipulated around the TGV. Yes the "jog" helps. But when I am installing an aftermarket part I expect to do a little adjusting/modding. It kinda goes with the territory. Sometimes things fit perfect, but rarely.

All I am saying is that if anyone intends to swap their inlet with ANY brand be prepared to pull the manifold. It is faster and easier in the end.

If the inlet does not fit after removing the manifold and trying to install then I have issues with the product.

I'm interested in this inlet for my '08 WRX. I am also going to have TGV deletes, so I'd imagine there might be a little more clearance (no TGV motors)? Just a thought, I haven't really looked. I guess it would probably be a good project to do this at the same time as the TGV deletes since I'll have the manifold off anyway.

What is the difference between the '02-'07 WRX inlets, and the '05+ LGT/WRX inlets? I can't imagine the shape would be much different...maybe just the placement of the nipples? Ideally, I'd like to just get an APS hard inlet and be done with it, but it doesn't look like they make 'em for our cars.

It is just a matter of plumbing. Almost all inlets are for a WRX and you have to do a little work with a "T" fitting. If the APS is back in stock it is great. I use the AP, because the APS was on backorder forever.

Oh I gotcha. At this point, I'm thinking of just keeping the stocker for now. I noticed the AP is cheaper than the APS though. Tempting. So obviously there is the PCV, and BOV recirc hose, but what else is plumbed into it? Sorry for all the dumb questions :p

• 10 months later...
Once its in your hand its easy to see. The inlet is missing 1 nipple. Just need to "T" for that connection.

I get using a T to effectively add the missing nipple for the PCV, but my PVC has a plug on it. Do I just remove that plug and run a hose from the T to the PCV direct? Will unplugging that connector throw a cell and if so can Shamar tune it out without hurting anything?

Thanks,

Walker

IIRC, the sensor does nothing. The contacts in it are nothing but a metal jumper.

Just use needle nose pliers to pull the contacts out of the sensor and put them into the connector, tape it up and your done.

Archived