LegacyGT.com

Getting ready for the track - input appreciated

rosscarlson

Everyone,

I'm getting my new 09 Spec.B ready for this season's track events. First a little about me and what I'd like to do. I've been doing track work for a few years now. I've probably got about 10 days total at the track, including 3 BMW schools and a Lotus racing school. I'm doing another Lotus school in April this year. So I'm doing a lot to tune myself so to speak.

On to the car. So far I've ordered the following upgrades:

- Wilwood BBK (4 piston up front, slotted rotors/lines all around, Hawk street and track pads)

- 17x8 MB Gear rims (19lbs so not light but lighter than stock)

- Bridgestone Potenza RE-01r tires for the 17's (245/45/17)

- K-Sport adjustable coilovers (front/rear)

What I'm ordering next

- Front/rear adjustable sway bars

- CAI

- Down pipe

- Custom tune

I think this should give me a very good balance between power and handling, with handling more important to me (I do only roar course work, no drag/autocross). In my group of car friends I'll be driving with this season we have: Audi R8, 911 Turbo, many e46 M3's, Audi S4, Porsche Caymen, Mazda Rx8, etc. My goal is to be competitive with them. My previous car was a 2007 350z and with it stock I was able to hang with, if not be faster than most of them. My questions are:

- Do you think with those mods I'll be able to hold my own?

- What other/different mods would you suggest?

- I'm very new to all this, especially the motor mods so any help there is VERY appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!!

-Ross

I'd skip the CAI since I don't believe it will add power and will complicate the tune. I think you'd get more benefit and less hassle with an aftermarket exhaust. Sounds like you will have a very nice setup!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Thanks Legend. I'm really torn on the exhaust as I don't want to spend quite that much right now. Thanks for the advice on the CAI - I couldn't really find any concrete reports there of what that would add. I think I'll skip that then and just do a good K&N drop in filter.

Any other input? Man these forums are just great....

-Ross

I'd pass on the drop-in filter too. Every time I've replaced my OEM drop-in ($15.60 from KOP) I get the itch to put in an aftermarket drop-in. I spend an hour looking at all the drop-in options, then I ask myself these questions and buy another OEM paper filter.

- Will it filter better than stock? Probably not.

- If it flows better than stock, can my car at it's current power level and altitude take advantage of this increased flow capacity and make more power? Probably not.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I would like to see the fitment of your 245's on those wheels. I am going wider but only to 235.

From the Xenonk FAQ:

235/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for torque, more acceleration)

245/40/17 (good autocross performance tire size for traction, will need to have a flatter alignment to make use of the grip)

So you will definitely want to get a good alignment.

I'll definitely post up some pics and thoughts - the rims are being installed right now and my 215/45 snow tires are going on them for the moment. My 245/45's should be here next week for my track weekends (I'll have them mounted in about a month).

BTW Tirerack has the Potenza RE-01r's for $78 each in 245/45/17 - I ordered 2 sets actually!

-Ross

• 1 month later...

I'll get some pictures up soon. They are supposed to fit fine without rubbing but I don't actually have them on yet. I still have my winters on and will get them swapped this weekend. I've got one set in my garage and the other set is waiting at Tire Source for install.

Pics soon...

I'll post up a full review with pictures soon but I got her back from Super Rupair last night. I'm a thrilled with the outcome. I'm getting 231whp on E85 now (up from 180 stock) and the suspension changes are enormous. They did a full corner balance and alignment (I knew they were doing it right when they called to ask what I weigh!)

Oh, and the Cobb STS is the best $300 I've spent on the car, WOW what a difference over the stock shifter!

Pictures soon...

Anytime Jae, although mine doesn't even come close to pulling as hard as yours does. I think I'd take ya in the corners though ;-) BTW what group did you sign up for B? C? You going to head down on Friday the 29th for the open day? I think 2-5 of us will probably be down there, we usually meet for breakfast on the south end of town and get to the track around 11 or so...

I'll post up a full review with pictures soon but I got her back from Super Rupair last night. I'm a thrilled with the outcome. I'm getting 231whp on E85 now (up from 180 stock) and the suspension changes are enormous. They did a full corner balance and alignment (I knew they were doing it right when they called to ask what I weigh!)

Oh, and the Cobb STS is the best $300 I've spent on the car, WOW what a difference over the stock shifter!

Pictures soon...

Hey Ross you car sounds like it's coming along nicely you'll have to tell me how you car and those coilovers are on the track...

Guys,

I got her back from the shop on Friday and she's now basically done for the track. I'll post up pictures very soon (gloomy day today). I'm getting 235whp now on E85 and stage 2, 290 ft-lbs of torque is amazing!

-Ross

Archived