LegacyGT.com

Gave the new Meguiar's sealant a shot

I saw this product on the shelf a couple weeks ago and figured I'd give it a shot.

http://meguiarsdirect.com/imagesEdp/p135885z.jpg

It is kind of spendy for an off the shelf product at $22 bucks a bottle, but it appears to be worth it. Durability will be the big thing, so I'll keep track of that. Appearance wise I'd say it is worth it. It costs three times less than my current favorite sealant and the results are almost as good. It is clear they are using a similar polymer technology to NXT, but it is definitely amped up quite a bit. On some colors this is going to look absolutely outstanding.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Eric%20Truck/3f05dda3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Eric%20Truck/ea64dbce.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Eric%20Truck/3dbfc689.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Eric%20Truck/e6fa4fba.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/OCDetails/Eric%20Truck/8ce7a3a8.jpg

I didn't have the best lighting for the pictures, but I can tell you that it has ridiculous depth. I was getting reflections from clear down the other side of the block. Just to give you an example, I saw something moving in the reflection, so I turned around to see what it was. It was someone pulling out of their driveway 3 houses down. The sun was directly behind the truck, so there was light on the panel which impaired the reflection a little, so imagine how much depth you'd get on the shady side.

So the reflections are great. I love how it looks and would definitely use it for a car with metal flake. The next vehicle I'm going to try it on is my dark blue Odyssey to see how it looks on that.

So there are a few cons to it. The smell is not great. While using it I could have sworn I smelled vomit. It kind of has a clay smell to it mixed with something bitter. It does have petroleum distillates in it, so that could be it. Typically I avoid products which contain petroleum distillates (PD) simply because it doesn't allow for layering really. It is designed to break down waxes and help make it easier to spread, which is interesting because I didn't feel this was the easiest product to spread. It just felt kind of 'sticky'. Like when you make pancake batter that is just too thick and it won't spread.

So besides the smell and it not really spreading that well, it was pretty easy to use. It didn't stain plastic trim or anything like that. It didn't come off as easily as some of my other favorite sealants, but it was still easier than most liquid waxes.

At first I thought it made the paint look a little dull, but then I realized it was because it was drawing out the imperfections in the paint. I could see just about ever divot and dimple in the surface now. I've detailed this truck three or four times and I have to say I've never seen it look like this. I think this is definitely the right product for this color. I'm looking forward to trying it on other colors to see what it looks best on.

For now I have to give it a thumbs up. It is easy to use, easy to remove, looks great, and I'm trusting Meguiar's reputation that they are being honest about the durability and other features of the product. Time will tel on that. However, if you are looking for something off the shelf that you can use on your car for an insane new look, then this would be $22 bucks well spent.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I really need better light for the pictures. This was just about the worst possible kind. I'm doing some painting on the grille and will be reinstalling that on Saturday, so I'll get a better shot of it then. The depth really is impressive, so regardless of the lighting in these pictures, I have no doubt you will be impressed.

Without a doubt, the number one question I get asked about products off the shelf is if it is worth the price. This one is definitely worth it so far. I could have done a vehicle that size probably four or five times with a bottle, so for the average user it will work fine and the bottle will last for probably two years. I'd say $22 bucks for 2 years worth of great product isn't too extravagant. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

will it put a bitchin' mural on my trunk?

I thought the mural was kinda cool. It's the northern lights over the tundra. Get it? Tundra? lol Not exactly what I would do to my truck, but if you are going to do a mural then that was a classy one. Schmidt body shop did the mural and they are really talented painters.

As far as recommending this instead of NXT, that is a hard one. They serve different purposes. If you have a vehicle in need of some light cleaning due to perhaps oxidation and some minor swirls, then NXT is really the right product for the job. It is an all-in-one type product whereas this one is a dedicated sealant. So it just depends. I would use this if the paint is already clayed and polished and you are looking for a strong sealant with great appearance.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They are the only body shop I've ever been to that has produced FLAWLESS work for me. I've been to four or five others in the valley at different times over the past ten years and every single one of them has pissed me off and had to do the job again. Well, Abra on State and 47thish didn't do a bad job, but they covered the car in overspray. Anyway, Schmidt FTW if you are in Salt Lake and want the best.

OCDETAILS BLOG

They are the only body shop I've ever been to that has produced FLAWLESS work for me. I've been to four or five others in the valley at different times over the past ten years and every single one of them has pissed me off and had to do the job again. Well, Abra on State and 47thish didn't do a bad job, but they covered the car in overspray. Anyway, Schmidt FTW if you are in Salt Lake and want the best.

Do you go to the original (father's) shop or the new (son's) shop? I go to the new one, Robs an awesome guy.

Hmm, I've been trying to decide on a good sealant to try so maybe this is the ticket.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

If you are looking for something local, then this is definitely the ticket. I still have some better suggestions if you are willing to spend more money, but this gives a $50 shine for $22 bucks, so it is definitely worth it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I think I'm going to try and pick some of this up today. I also need some touch up primer and some 303.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I just picked some of this up. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out this weekend. Then I can tell you how it works on RBP!

Btw, I love advance auto. I got the wax, a mothers clay kit (I'm almost out) some carpet cleaner and some filler primer for $37. With tax.

I'm still pretty amazed by this stuff. The gloss and reflections have not diminished after a week. I really wish I would have had a camera with me to show off the gloss that sucker had the other day. It was so sick! It looked like wet paint from across the street. The weather wasn't optimal for the van this weekend and I had some other projects I was working on, but I'm going to be using it on a white car this evening and a black one tomorrow.

I'm just continually impressed by what manufacturers are making available to the consumer market. There is so much crap on the shelf that people get a little leery to buy anything beyond the typical $5 waxes. This is definitely something worth picking up.

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a report on this. I finally got the chance to try it out on my 98 Outback. The paint is in pretty bad shape, spider webs on the hood, dents and dings all over. No rust though.

In one word... Awesome! It needs a little extra polishing when you remove it, but the look is worth it!

looks good on APB, just did my hood in my garage, and i could tell you what was in the rafters just off of the reflection... and its staying good a few weeks later, I used meg. detail-er to clean off the dust/rain spots from the last drizzle, still looked good!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m589/dwolson2/2011-06-12124234.jpg

with an overcast sky... and 2 weeks after putting it on(the hood)

• 1 year later...
It is not either one of those products. This is a new consumer grade product in a black bottle. You can find it on the shelf just about anywhere that sells car care stuff. So Target, AutoZone, PepBoys, Wal Mart, etc. I spoke with someone at Meguiar's about it and he said it wasn't just a re-labeled product that already exists. It is definitely a lot different than anything else from Meguiar's that I've used.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived