LegacyGT.com

Gauge Delema/dilemma

Recently I bought an STI gauge pack for my spec.B knowing that I'd have to remove the Nav screen to make it work. However now that I have the gauges and have done some more research I will in some ways really be crippling the trip computers, calendars and clocks. I would also have to find a 07-09 cubby/clock/computer or buy one new at $350, just to install the gauges.I like the idea of the gauges being there, but not sure about the other effects.

My other thought was to sell the STI gauge pack and pick up one of the defrost vent gauge pods and some STRI gauges to do the same thing, just not be as clean looking install.

Any thoughts, ideas, things I'm missing?

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I much prefer the OEM look and unobtrusiveness of the STi gauge pack, but being incredibly left eye dominant means I'll probably continue with the vent gauge pod at some point (single version of the one in the post above).

OP, I'd just source the used parts that you need to use the STi gauge pack. Finding the trip computer used shouldn't be that hard, and I can't imagine the cubby trim being that expensive new.

I do too I just didn't expect it to be this difficult to find the 07-09 cubby/clock/computer. I already have $500 in the gauges and not really looking forward to spending another $350 on the parts I need to make it work at the expense of neutering the Nav/computer on the car already.

I found the gauges here, a member was parting out his car and I got ahold of him before he even listed them for sale.

2003 Baja 5MT

I'm in the minority on gauges, however, if you are looking for bling that's the sti gauge pack. You can't see the boost gauge when you want it and the rest are too far to the right and not angled towards you.

I found the tactrix 2.0 dumping to a chip with a custom ini file for more effective for determining engine issues. The idiot lights on the dash work well enough, as when they go off, you need to get the car parked and towed.

If you want to "watch" the gauges, get something like this - http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html - which connects directly to your smartphone with custom gauges and full logging. Mount your phone on the dash and you're done. I used something similar when lapping with the wagon and found it much easier to deal with. It was in my range of vision and I could pick up oddities on the scan of gauges.

I have an accessport and the Torque app, but I'm looking to easily see things neither of those monitor, like oil temp and pressure. The Boost gauge would be mostly just because it makes sense.

2003 Baja 5MT

If you are that concerned, sell the gauge pack and buy 2 gauges for that purpose that come with the alarm lights.

Racecar has both a gauge & alarm light. I ignore the gauge until the light is lit, then decide what to do next.

However, I"m no help, so will leave the troll comments to someone more suitable.

If you are that concerned, sell the gauge pack and buy 2 gauges for that purpose that come with the alarm lights.

Racecar has both a gauge & alarm light. I ignore the gauge until the light is lit, then decide what to do next.

However, I"m no help, so will leave the troll comments to someone more suitable.

Yeah I might just sell the gauge pack and not do anything since it's just a street car.

2003 Baja 5MT

I'm in the minority on gauges, however, if you are looking for bling that's the sti gauge pack. You can't see the boost gauge when you want it and the rest are too far to the right and not angled towards you.

Just a note but the Sti gauges are actually angled toward the driver. The gauge faces are mounted at maybe a 20 degree angle inside the pod.

I love my Sti gauges. Clean and simple. There might better options if you have a race car but it's difficult to beat the oem gauges in a dd.

I'm not a big fan of the vent pod simply because anyone who drives next to you can see them and that screams modified car when a big boost gauge is visible to everyone.

I have a singular digital boost gauge in the far left corner of mine, just sits right below the window all the way at the edge, it's kinda "teardrop" shaped and fits really well, I LOVE it, I think the position is perfect and the digital part is so much better than just a needle for boost imo of course, I'll try and snap a pic of it when I get out of work tonight.

Archived