LegacyGT.com

Gasoline, WHOS GAS is the BEST?

I have never really cared about what brand of gas I put into my car until I got my new Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited. When I went to look into the issue of who has the best gas the Google results are mind boggling, at least to me. Now call me what you want for not being able to sort through the massive info out there, but I figured that it would be best to throw out the question to fellow Subaru drivers/owners.

So tell me... WHO HAS THE BEST GAS? I am not interested in price, simply who's gas is going to give me the best results, performance, and is going to simply keep my motor clean inside?

Don't just throw out a name because your mom and dad own a station. Hook us up with some data, research, and what not.

Looking forward to seeing what you all got.:spin:

~Jonesy

pour a gallon in at one end of the universal pipeline, receive a credit to pull a gallon out on the other end. Its all the same really. Additives mixed in at the independent holding facilities are all that really separate the different brands, as well as potential poorly maintained fueling stations. Even the additives themselves are all pretty similar.

With that said, you'll be best served with buying 93/94 vs. other octane ratings. I also personally choose to avoid stations that are being refueled by tank trucks. Urban myth or not, it makes sense that if there's sediment in the tanks, that would be the time when it would get stirred up.

All the gas comes from the same place. Only difference is the additives that are added to the gases. Whatever you do, do not go to store gas stations like Wal-Mart, Kroger, Meijer, Giant Eagle, Sam's Club, Costco, etc. If you have realized, these places are always offering special deals on their gasoline if you spend a certain amount of money. I worked at Kroger's for 3 years and I know the secrets. A gas station isn't going to simply give you $0.20 off a gallon for the entire fillup if they weren't atleast breaking even. The way that they can offer these "amazing" deals is to simply cut the cost of their own gasoline. OPEC isn't going to give them a break so they simply won't add any additives. This way they are able to get their gas and sell it for cheap. This cheap gas without the additives will tend to clog up the fuel injectors simply because it isn't really that clean.

Your best bet is to go to a SHELL or Mobil gas station. They usually have the best additives in the gasoline that you sell. If you look at most SHELL gas stations you will see that their premium V-Power isn't $0.20 cents more than their regular like all other stations, instead it's usually $0.22 or $0.24 more simply because of the better additives.

If you avoid stations that are filled by trucks, what are they filled by and what stations do you use?

I think he said he avoids the gas stations that are being filled by trucks while he's getting filled up himself. The belief being that the onrush of new gasoline will kick up any sediment in the tanks and will also end up in the gas you pump into your car.

I think he said he avoids the gas stations that are being filled by trucks while he's getting filled up himself. The belief being that the onrush of new gasoline will kick up any sediment in the tanks and will also end up in the gas you pump into your car.

there you have it

+1. And also in the summer fill up at night. This way the ground cools down from the hot sun during the day. When the ground in heated, it causes the gas to expand. This way the gas stations are actually ripping you off. Instead of getting a whole gallon of liquid, you're getting about 75% liquid gasoline and about 25% pure fumes. You're paying for the whole thing while you're only getting 75% of it. And not to say, only the liquid gasoline is burnable and usable...lol.

+1. And also in the summer fill up at night. This way the ground cools down from the hot sun during the day. When the ground in heated, it causes the gas to expand. This way the gas stations are actually ripping you off. Instead of getting a whole gallon of liquid, you're getting about 75% liquid gasoline and about 25% pure fumes. You're paying for the whole thing while you're only getting 75% of it. And not to say, only the liquid gasoline is burnable and usable...lol.

Ehh this is debatable I believe, some pumps adjust for ambient temperature and fuel temperature. At any rate I always fill up in the early morning hours when the temp is the coldest :p

Doesn't matter to me. I usually fill at BJ's Wholesale Club where I have a membership, and gas is $0.15/gallon cheaper, on average, regardless of octane. That or the grocery store pump.

Around here, Sunoco stations have 94 "ultra" unleaded, so when the new Sunoco renovation is complete, a bit north of me, I'll probably go there sometimes. The other premiums are 92 or 93.

I do BP only because of the Credit Card I have with them. 5% cashback on all BP purchases. I already recieved over $1500 in checks from using that card. (Drove alot commuting to college when I first got card 80mi/day)

I do BP only because of the Credit Card I have with them. 5% cashback on all BP purchases. I already recieved over $1500 in checks from using that card. (Drove alot commuting to college when I first got card 80mi/day)

$30,000 in gas? U driving a 747?

- The Mortgage Man

$30,000 in gas? U driving a 747?

I use that card more than just gas, majority rewards comes from the 5% but, I also paid the downpayment of the LGT with that card, and anytime i do any shopping I use that too(gives 1% on all other purchases and maybe 2% on travel or grocceries iirc). Had the card for over 2-3yrs. It all adds up :rolleyes:

Archived