LegacyGT.com

Gas Treatment . . . good idea or waste of money?

It's my understanding that gas is gas regardless where you purchase it. The only difference is the extra additives added to "top tier" brands (e.g. techron). I've been filling up at Costco or Safeway for years, and I wonder if gas treatments like Techron or STP are worthwhile.

FJ60

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

snake oil. I've never seen a reliable test that indicated any benefit to normal additives in normal cars. There are a few special-use additives for situations where there's an unusual amount of water in the fuel, etc. but generally the stuff is snake oil.

Bg 44K. Google it. People swear by it. It is, I believe, the active ingredient in Techron but full strength. I've used Techron for years with good results.

BG 44k is good stuff....

• 1 month later...
It doesn't turn into water, but it will allow water to get into your engine. The ethanol, for lack of better words, will wick any moisture from your tank, along the fuel lines, and into the engine. Most likely anything that makes it there will be so minimal it will just be turned into steam and shot out the exhaust, but it does happen.

I'm convinced of the real benefits of Techron, but use it irregularly in our newer cars - probably not often enough to do any good.

I did use it regularly in my 1997 Outback (sold with 165K miles) to help prevent the hesitation those engines developed over time. We used SeaFoam in the top end at about 145K miles and it almost completely eliminated the hesitation.

Techron was recommended for use by a Yamaha engineer for our 200hp fuel injected 2 stroke outboard motor. We use it in that all the time, or the Yamaha Ring-Free product.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well, we have to use high test in the turbo version anyway, so we're gettintg good gas (hopefully). I like to throw a container in every now and then, but I don't think it's needed all the time.

Techron is great to use every 5-10 fillups. On an older Honda, it made things run alot smoother. Make sure you get the 'Techron' and not the 'Progard with Techron' though...different formulas from Chevron.

I was doing the Shell V-Power only thing for the last 6 months...

And then I filled up at a Marathon because I definitely wasn't going to make it to the Shell. I got 20 more miles on the tank than I typically do!

I've noticed the same thing, the one time I used Exxon it seems like I got better gas mileage.

I use Lucas Oil gas treatment and seems to make a difference. Apparently that is pure petrol. The bigger bottle is much better priced than the wimpy 3 ounce 4 dollar vial.

And then again...Shell V power only.

+1

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I save about $2 per tank at Safeway rather than Shell, Chevron, etc. I figure I'm still taking care of the engine while saving a few $ if I refill 2-3 times/month and periodically use a quality additive. A service writer told me the additives are worthless. My feeling is better safe than sorry. I'm going to try that BG stuff.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

Man, i wish i was in Hawaii still. I could go fill up with 100oct @ the pump like i used to do. That is better than any treatment i could think of. =)

100 octane won't do you any good if you're not running a program (or compression/timing for an older car.) For example, if I put 100 octane into my LGT with a stock ECU, it won't run any better than it does with good 93 from my local station.

Higher octane isn't the same thing as additives/detergents/whatever in "gas treatment." Higher octane just reduces the tendency for preignition, while additives supposedly clean your fuel injectors, reprogram your ECU, adjust the air pressure in your tires and balance your checkbook.

Archived