LegacyGT.com

Gah! Tire Rub...need help

Fox06LegacyGT

Hey guys

Just bought a set of HP Design HPR5 18x8s wrapped with 225/40/18 tires. (Not sure about the offset) Purchased them from a friend who had an 05 LGT and has had them on his car for the past 2 years or so.

After putting them on I noticed a considerable squeal coming from the the drivers side rear tire primarily when i hit bumps. Took a day and a half but I figured out its just barely rubbing the outside of the tire against the inside of the fender well. The previous owner didn't have a problem with them except when he had a considerable amount of weight in the back and happened to hit a bump.

What do you think my best option for fixing this issue is? It's not horrible enough to not drive on for a bit, but it needs to be fixed. Possibly tightening up the rear suspension with a sway bar? Springs? I know it will be best in the long run to roll the fenders, but I wouldn't be able to do that for upwards of a month or so.

Just looking for some advice, any could help.

Thanks

What was the camber that your friend was running?

It's fine to run -1.5 degrees camber up front. Even if you don't have coilovers, you should be able to get -1.5 just from the adjustment bolts.

More camber should solve your problem if you are barely rubbing.

Forget what I said.... I just noticed you said rear...

Sorry.

My friend had nothing else done to his car.

Does camber only affect the front or the rear?, cuz the rubbing is in the rear.

front and rear camber are independent. Please find out the offset (or give me a link to the manufacturer so I can look it up). I am interested to find out what it is.

During the summer, I run 235/40/18 tires on 18x8.5 +48 wheels. The rears will rub if I hit a bump. However, since I don't drive fast over bumps, I don't notice any squealing.

Eventually, I figure the tires will roll the fender lip for me. 8^) Maybe that's what happened with your friend's car after two years!

Take your rim off and read the offset from the back of the rim.

More negative rear camber would help, but we don't have any way to adjust it without adding some custom links. Lowering springs will not change your clearance issue since it just changes the static position and your bump position will still be the same.

I looked on a few sites and saw they made a +38 model. I checked a few places and they all said +38. Waaay to low for an 8" rim

Fixable though with a little fender roll? The rub marks are almost at the outside of the tire and barely on the inside of the fender

If you are not in love with the wheels sell them and get proper fitting wheels.

I bet they also look odd sticking out so much.

I had experience with this problem in the past with other vehicles, and believe me you do not want to roll the fenders of your car for a cheap set of wheels.

My 2c's.

X

---

No issues at all in the front. Can turn the full range and there is no rub what so ever. In so far as the sticking out, it isn't too horrible. Only downside is that rocks tend to kick up quite a bit. Other than that it gives the car a really sick, mean stance.

Not 100% willing to sell but who knows, will see how I feel in a couple of days. Not sure if i want to rip the weather stripping off either, cuz Id rather have it rub on plastic than metal and run the risk of cutting into the tire.

Thanks for all your help thus far though.

the website for the wheels are www.hpdesignwheels.com

Ill call the kid and try to find out. Heading out now so won't be able to reply until later.

Running downstairs to check the offset...

just take the rim off the car, on the back of the spokes, there should be a "+XX" or "ETxx" number on there where the XX represents the offset (ex +48).

bah, Im slow, +38.. yes, that is really low for our cars.. you need to just roll your fenders and take off the fenders' rubber stripping. You should be ok since you are running 225/40/18.

Keefe

Not sure if i want to rip the weather stripping off either, cuz Id rather have it rub on plastic than metal and run the risk of cutting into the tire.

There are metal staple like pieces in the weather stripping. Once you wear through the rubber, your going to hit metal regardless.

ignore him, he'll go away.

There are metal staple like pieces in the weather stripping. Once you wear through the rubber, your going to hit metal regardless.

Yeah I noticed those when i pulled the weather stripping off, must of been what was starting to touch my tire.

So far with the weatherstripping gone I have no rub, even when accelerating hard in the corners and hitting a bump so it may be just enough....Now just have to test it with a little weight in the back.

Archived