LegacyGT.com

Fully Independent Fog Light Mod

I searched high and low and could not find any mods to allow the fog lights to work completely independent while preserving the factory fog light switch. So after a few hours of experimentation I present to you the simple (fairly) mod to do just that. This is for models with the fog light switch located next to the mirror switch (part #H4510AJ000). I assume that this mod would work for those of you with switches on the turn signal stock, but with a bit more deconstructing of the dash to access the harness.

---Disclaimer---

This mod requires the cutting and splicing of two wires. If this makes you uncomfortable, do not attempt without proper assistance. I am not responsible if you attempt this and break something. I am only posting what I have found to work on my car.

You will need:

-Pry tool

-Wire cutters

-Wire strippers

-Wire crimping tool

-Male connectors (3)

-Female connectors (4)

-Fuse Tap (1)

-10A fuse (1)

-7.5A fuse (1)

-Butt Connectors (2)

-1-2 ft of electrical wire

First begin by removing the negative battery lead from the terminal. Remove the cover from the fuse/relay box inside the engine compartment. You will find your fog light relay on the driver's side of the box right next to two 10A fuses. Remove the fog light relay and set it aside for now. Remove the 10A illumination fuse and replace it with the Fuse Tap, making sure to place a new 10A fuse in the lower fuse holder and a new 7.5A fuse in the upper. Crimp a female connector to the other end and attach to pin #3 on the fog light relay to trick the relay into thinking your headlights are on. Make three jumper wires about 2.5 inches long with one female connector on one end and a male on the other. Insert male jumpers into the slots where you had removed the relay making sure to leave the #3 pin hole open. Connect the female ends of the jumpers to their corresponding pins on the relay based on their location in the relay socket.

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/NWZYNRI.png[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/13O0O1p.jpg[/img]

Now that you have tricked the relay into thinking the headlights are on whenever the ignition is on, you need to bypass the BIU which will still override the relay if you do not. Start by removing the left side cover of the dash. It is only held in by friction clips. Press inward on the mirror switch until it pops into the dash. Pull the switch assembly toward you and unclip the harness from it. Find the green/red wire on the harness that you just disconnected and cut it about an 1.5 inches back from the clip. Crimp a butt connector to the clip end of the wire and tape off the other end.

Now go underneath the dash above the brake pedal. You will see several harnesses that plug into a black box. Find the forward-most harness with the purple/yellow wire and cut that wire about 1.5 inches back from where the harness connects to the box. This is your ground wire coming from the fog light relay. Crimp a butt connector onto the wire side and tape off the clip side if the wire. Now run a jump wire from that butt connector to the butt connector on the green/red wire by the switch. This will effectively bypass the BIU and allow you to turn the fog lights on and off freely whenever the ignition is on. Replace the left side dash cover, fuse/relay box cover and re-connect battery. Congratulations! You now have fully independent fog lights!

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/yjPIcs0.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/aef4ZT8.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/bljFEWS.jpg[/img]

%5Bimg%5Dhttps%3A//i.imgur.com/GI1X2Mb.jpg[/img]

Why not just get a similar kit to what I got, comes with a switch that locates to an OEM looking placement and control them that way?

I can turn fogs on regardless of what my headlights do.344e13464712002b8f61a86a2f93bbe4.jpg4b7a2ca919062d603aada8748eafe569.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's the kit I bought with the switch and everything. It just didn't look OEM enough for me. Plus half the reason of this mod was to retain the OEM switch and harness that was already put in place from the factory without adding more unnecessary wiring. That being said, different strokes for different folks. If it works and makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

That's the kit I bought with the switch and everything. It just didn't look OEM enough for me. Plus half the reason of this mod was to retain the OEM switch and harness that was already put in place from the factory without adding more unnecessary wiring. That being said, different strokes for different folks. If it works and makes you happy, that's all that really matters.
Now this is true. The switch itself, while fitting in an oem looking location and having an oem look, is not OEM.

But I figured besides lgt enthusiasts, who is going to know? And whoever looks at that location I don't think their eyes going to hover on a fog switch in an oem looking spot?

Another thing I considered is the jdm folding mirror switch goes in the small slot next to the mirror adjustment knob. Where I think the US spec button would be placed. So I just may be able to do both without having a switch on the stalk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I just did the mod yesterday, it was fairly quick and easy. I am very happy with it. Although, I got really sad when I noticed the fog light indicator on the cluster stopped working. But I guess that is to be expected.

I just did the mod yesterday, it was fairly quick and easy. I am very happy with it. Although, I got really sad when I noticed the fog light indicator on the cluster stopped working. But I guess that is to be expected.

Unfortunately, yes. The BIU is what tells the light to come on in the cluster, but it is now bypassed so there is no signal. There is probably a way to make it come on without input from the BIU but I never went that deep into it.

Archived