LegacyGT.com

Full stereo install w/custom sub and D3!

Whirling Dervish

Alright, so I finally finished my car stereo install. James and Jovian at http://clearstarmediagroup.com set me up with the following:

Pioneer AVIC D3

Bluetooth and iPod adapters

Relocated cubby computer

CDT CL-E61NEO (front)

CDT Upstage tweeters in a-pillars

CDT CL-6EX (rear fill)

CDT EF-100 DVC woofer

MTX X-Thunder 704X

MTX X-Thunder 600XD

Custom fiberglass enclosure/amp mount

I know some people have had a hard time getting the D3 installed - I'll be glad to answer any questions. I think the job turned out awesome, let me know what you guys think of the end results.

stereoinstall_01.jpg.01590c79eb722d000183314b73385595.jpg

stereoinstall_04.jpg.c4828a0f16247adbe24618fc43531923.jpg

stereoinstall_09.jpg.1a9abf23b48a445524381e8161a3c5e8.jpg

stereoinstall_12.jpg.f720c5d0812c295f119a1b5a65484d8f.jpg

stereoinstall_14.jpg.cddb4fa625f21befa8c85adf1c5d3a5f.jpg

stereoinstall_16.jpg.48f315a5b1e0e178617980042cdb94a2.jpg

stereoinstall_17.jpg.74721bbdb2e1cca024c0b24b9713219f.jpg

stereoinstall_21.jpg.5ed9a07e03e4503a17797bec0111b810.jpg

stereoinstall_24.jpg.d3130d83c3f769030f1646a52be04404.jpg

stereoinstall_36.jpg.9a2582bdb8e993170512185b5de30154.jpg

stereoinstall_38.jpg.bd53546285c144f9b005238995439969.jpg

stereoinstall_41.jpg.2c998f6b020b1e4a53602f6c90d0c782.jpg

I think the total retail cost for all parts/labor was about $4500. They did the fiberglassing to the factory bezel and used a texture spray to get the finish pretty close to matching. I'll take a better picture today and post it up. When I get home I'll post up the pictures of the door/pillar install.

The upstage is a neat unit...they wire directly into the crossover for the components. The only thing you have to be careful with is wiring around the airbag. They definitely add clearer brights and improve the staging.

Oh, forgot to mention...it was only after removing the cubby box that we realized how shallow the dash support beam was. There's no WAY we wanted to hack into that which is why we fiberglassed the support. It's kinda hard to tell by the photos, but I'd estimate that the unit sticks out by about 3/4 in.

And thanks for the props on the box...I bought the wagon because I value the useability of the trunk room and I didn't want to compromise it. The base for the box uses the cutout of the bed panel...It works out great for me, and the vinyl looks to match the leather near spot-on.

Oh, and in case anyone in the area is interested, I spoke to James (the installer/fabricator) and he said that he would do the clock relocation for $200-$250 and building a custom box would be in the $300 range.

I'll find out exactly what else he did to relocate the clock. I know he didn't order any parts for it, but not sure what else goes into it. He actually used the little rubber grippy-thing from the front panel to fill the top gap. It's kinda hard to see in the picture...I'll try to post up better ones.

hakgwai, we didn't "make" a new bezel - he just modified the old one. If you're cool with shipping the bezel down to him I can call him to see how long it would take to turn around and what the cost would be...

My thoughts...

The AVO piece is the way to go on the info panel relocation kit. While expensive, it still costs less than top quality custom fab work.

Also, with respect to those considering purchasing a bezel from an out of state fabricator, I would expect difficulties in trying to adapt someone's custom bezel to your own install. Sure, the fab work turned out great, but the fit and finish will be terrible if the headunit isn't mounted in the exact same position as the original. IMO, a project best left for a qualified installer who has direct access to your car and equipment.

Finally, I'm surprised at the mounting depth the this installer chose for the headunit. I am quite familiar, unfortunately, with the structural beam of which you speak, but my double din unit was able to be installed up and over than beam giving me a considerable amount of mounting depth in which to make the faceplate sit recessed to the front of the cubby. I then use the tilt feature on the headunit itself to rake the touchscreen out to the same angle as the bezel.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Fweasel, I do agree with you regarding difficulties with pre-fabricating a bezel for one of these units. Of course it would be wiser to have the installer work on the car in person. However, I've read several threads (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69844, for example) where owners have been told flat-out by installers that this unit will not work in our cars.

I do think that AVO has an ideal piece for panel relocation; however, I personally cannot validate spending $200 on a piece of plastic. I think that having my installer move this piece in conjunction with installing the head unit was a much better option, and the end result came out great (IMO).

As far as the mounting depth: I believe this unit is larger than traditional double-din units. When we had the dash apart we looked for other alternatives, but even with cutting the factory bezel at the bottom front and re-angling we still would have had depth issues. Also, the D3 doesn't have rake/tilt options. My personal opinion is that having the unit protrude out is actually a bit more convenient; it's a closer reach for me to get to the touchscreen.

I appreciate that this sort of work is what you do as a career and you have a more discerning eye than many of us on the forums...I'm happy with what I've had done and I wanted to share it with other members as an option/alternative.

I appreciate that this sort of work is what you do as a career and you have a more discerning eye than many of us on the forums...I'm happy with what I've had done and I wanted to share it with other members as an option/alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I think you delt with a telented crew and the final outcome is very nice. I was just weighing in a a variety of topics that were brought up in your post as well as some of the replies.

I still stand behind the AVO info panel bracket kit though. If you were to line item out what your installer took to make the same piece, I bet it was even if not more. My point is, the AVO price is competitive with a quality custom job, yet guarantees perfect OEM match in color, fit and finish.

I was unaware that the Pioneer did not feature a tilting face. You are right, getting it at the right angle is paramount, IMO, to the day to day functionality of the piece and would superceed other issues like depth. If I recall, correctly, my Kenwood is actually deeper than the Pioneer (maybe I'm thinking about the wrong model) but in order to get the face flush, the chassis had to be installed above the crash beam.

Anyway, glad you're happy with the outcome. Its nice to spend money on something worthwhile.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Okay, I've posted some addl pics as an update. These show better shots of the computer relocation and the depth/fit for the D3. Sorry for all the glare; I tried but couldn't get rid of it.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/rusnakchris/stereo%20install/stereoinstall_54.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/rusnakchris/stereo%20install/stereoinstall_53.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/rusnakchris/stereo%20install/stereoinstall_57.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/rusnakchris/stereo%20install/stereoinstall_56.jpg

If I could change anything I'd round off that upper left corner by the sub. Stupid minor gripe.

Excellent install, very creative & polished. Impressive.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm totally with you on that corner...It does look worse in the picture because the light was shining directly on it. But I wanted to make sure that the 4-channel amp was well-supported.

I really think it's a great unit, especially for the price ($1000 retail).

I'm still learning new features/functions of the nav function - I'm really surprised at how good it is compared to say, SOA's piece. The sound processor is nice as well - gives you a wide set of options for eq, staging, and signal processors. I think the other little gadgets (like the accelerometer and lateral acceleration meter), while kinda gimmicky, are fun to play with once in awhile.

It seems that Pioneer decided to give you the base unit and lets you upgrade w/options from there. I don't mind the fact that there's no hard drive because I paid $20 for the iPod interface cable. The iPod sits in the glove box (haven't seen it in a month) and the integration is seamless...only complaint there is that a) I can't search, and b) takes a little while to scroll through artists.

I also added the bluetooth module ($185 retail) and placed the microphone at the edge of the headliner. I made a few calls and no one realized I wasn't speaking through the handset. It also has an intelligent way of answering, disconnecting, searching phone book, and voice dialing and is Bluetooth Audio-compatible.

I could go more in depth, but I don't think anyone cares to read about my butt-kissing of this unit. But seriously, I was never a big Pioneer fan, but this unit can't be beat for what you're getting. Let me know if you have specific questions; I think that for the most part the functions of it do match the Z1.

Apologies if I missed a newbie faq for AV install on this car, but I have a slew of EQ from an older car (the usual - head unit, amps, speakers, etc), and I would like to install as much as possible. Of course I am worried about the non-interchangeable stock radio, and see that you installed the D3 as an add-on peice, keeping the stock radio.

I have an OEM 07 LGT (manual, no GPS). Does the stock radio have any line-level pre-outs? If so, are they of adequate voltage? I would rather keep the stock radio for appearances, investigate GPS/screen options (I will certainly consider your recommendation on the D3), and then go higher end amp/speakers from there. But if the unit lacks good pre-outs, I may want to go with something more complicated but better-sounding in the end.

Archived